Is There a Deal Between Google and Wikipedia?
    On one of my content sites I used to always come up first on Google. Now suddenly Wikipedia is jumping into the top spots on all the major search terms. Is there some deal I don't know about between the two? I can't figure out what has changed. The wikipedia work is as old if not older than mine and it never popped up first before. Any ideas?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Hey Leeann-

Google started bumping up Wikipedia's links a few months ago and now they are basically the top result in most searches with relevant content on Wikipedia. It's not so much of a deal (in monetary terms) as Google trying to insure good content at the top of it's results.

There was some coverage of this in the blogosphere a while back (and it's implications for SEO and marketing). I'll try to dig those up and share.

Sam

Thanks Sam. I would be VERY interested in reading about it. You are right though, it has been happening gradually over the last few months.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I'll dig up those links this evening and post here.

Good luck!

Sam

I appreciate it. Google needs to rethink it though - if that is indeed what they are doing. Wikipedia has been hit HARD with questions as to its accuracy (among other things). I never use them as a source for reliable content.
    leeann

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    If you ever use Goole Earth you will see that the informaion provided in it is supplied by Wikipedia. That seems to me to indicate some sort of financial dealing and possible bias creeping into Google searches.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Maybe people will look for content in wikipedia, and after that go back to the search result, and click on the adwords ads.
    This way the users will get 2 different things: non comerical content and websites, and comercial websites from adwords.
    Maybe wikipedia as a result for an important search term increases the clicks on their ads.

Despite some clear inaccuracies and editing-wars, Wikipedia is quite probably the single best free source for basic factual information on the internet. I think Google should properly bump a Wikipedia article above nearly any other content page on the same subject -- including even my best-quality sites.

It's a bonus that Wikipedia is non-commercial (didn't we used to say that about the Open Directory?). As dapyx noted, that means that if someone is looking for "product" information, they're not going to find a "buy it now" link on Wikipedia, so they're likely to go back to a search engine to find the specific product, and once the customer is in that "shopping mode" they will be looking for the kind of content that we (as merchants and affiliates) provide.

Alas, by increasing Wikipedia's influence, Google has effectively given an incentive for all the blog- and forum-spammers to aggressively assault Wikipedia, making it harder to keep articles "clean."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Wiki gets oodles of links. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually are NOT being specially favored by G...the amount of links they get alone should give them a decent rank.

That said, they don't sell anything, so other than the irksomeness of them having S.P.A.M. (Search Positions Above Mine) their presence likely isn't a problem for marketing efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne
    I never use them as a source for reliable content.
    I find them more than adequate for things like satisfying general curiosity about a subject, refreshing my memory on stuff I ignored in school, or coming up with a link for nonscholarly conversation. Such things don't really deserve any more research than a quick search of Wiki.

Plus, when I checked articles about things I know about, I've found them to *usually* be what I'd call "pretty good" (but not exhaustive) in terms of accuracy. IMO they're good for getting an overview about something...if someone's really interested in a particular subject, I'd expect that they'll gather info from several sources and not just Wiki anyway.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    ...It's a bonus that Wikipedia is non-commercial...
    That seems to be the "flavor" this week. Anybody want to start a pool for the date of the first AdSense appearance?

Being a bit sarcastic here -- and hope ads do not show up -- but...
    </sarcasm>

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Wikipedia = LOTS of real, honest-to-goodness backlinks rather than the result of some SEO scheme.

That's what gets top rankings.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The point in my post is that for years.. literally years.. almost all of my content appeared before wikipedia until recently. They haven't changed their format - I haven't changed mine - so something at Google has changed.
    leeann

I have this feeling that google is setting up Wiki to be bought by them. Right now they live and die by the google results. I wouldn't doubt we eventually see a buyout.

Google then could add to adsense/adwords the option of advertising on Wikipedia. It would certainly follow their trend lately.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    The point in my post is that for years.. literally years.. almost all of my content appeared before wikipedia until recently. They haven't changed their format - I haven't changed mine - so something at Google has changed.
    Or, they accumulated more backlinks to that specific article than you did to your page.

If you have an information-based website; celebrity bios, country information, history, education subjects, etc., unfortunately, you are in a unfair battle against the Wikipedia. But, there are always second, third, fourth listings and more attractive title tags.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    It could be whatever affected those complaining in the below thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=86727

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I have this feeling that google is setting up Wiki to be bought by them. Right now they live and die by the google results. I wouldn't doubt we eventually see a buyout.

Google then could add to adsense/adwords the option of advertising on Wikipedia. It would certainly follow their trend lately.
    How exactly are they living and dying by google search results? Do you know how wikipedia derives their income? Their plans? How is google setting them up again? Huh? huh? and huh?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Wikipedia = LOTS of real, honest-to-goodness backlinks rather than the result of some SEO scheme.

That's what gets top rankings.
    Leeann I didn't mean to imply that you are using some sort of scheme. I'm sure you are not. My point is lot's of people link to Wikipedia. Even us affiliates will link to them since they do not represent a competetor and are somewhat respected as a source. And, the links to Wikipedia are from sites that usually match the content - I think this goes a long way in SEO.

I don't even bother with generic trades anymore but only trade links with sites matching my site theme exactly. I win two ways doing this:
    1. My link trade can actually send me direct traffic.
    2. My link trade helps more for SEO than a generic trade (I strongly suspect).
    So even if #2 does not pan out, #1 will at least give me something for my effort and may lead to other related sites placing a link to my site.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Leeann I didn't mean to imply that you are using some sort of scheme.
    NP.. I didn't take it that way
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    how about aboutus.org?

another wiki ranking well, but really has no content, only scraped links serving/spamming only their own good and scraped private info with privacy
    issues.

with a huge capital influx, you just wonder what's going on.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    probably the single best free source for basic factual information on the internet.
    i think a lot of people think that Wiki is a lot of factual info but it;s produced by people like you and me + many self proclaimed expert on a topic.

There are lots of good info on there such as I learned RSS by reading through Wiki and some links on there.

I would not say that they are the authority online when it comes to facts but there are sure a lot of info that one can use or find useful.

As to Google bumping it, i have seen a change in direction as to ranking Wiki quite high on each listing/term. I was reading that Amazon is funding some Wiki project but I have not been following that.

Would like to see how that turns out with Amazon trying to get into the content / SE business

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    i think a lot of people think that Wiki is a lot of factual info but it;s produced by people like you and me + many self proclaimed expert on a topic.
    hahaha. i couldn't agree with you more.

that is exactly true.

unfortunately, when the real authority on the subjects butt in, they ended up being the vandals, and the self-proclaimers ended up being the authority.

so, yes, there are lots of inaccurate, misleading and terribly false information out there.

and the rest, well, those info were merely scraped from other people's sites. some editors will openly and honestly admit that. the others, they just continue to convince themselves that they know best, even though they don't.

I don't think they are intentionally giving Wikipedia or any other site a bonus.
    They might just have changed their algorithms - most likely a finetuning of LSI -
    and they like what Wiki DOES on their site not what the ARE.
    And Wikipedia does many things right: Links in the text to content that is similar or related to the article.
    So to get back on top, maybe you should try to look what they do different than you and try to replicate that.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik17
    Links in the text to content that is similar or related to the article.
    Aboutus.org is terribly good at link hijacking and spamming. they scrape every link you have in your site, and even claim them as theirs. it is even written in there. you may remove everything but the links.

as for wikipedia, like it was said before, it is being written by people who merely pretends to be knowledgable in the field. the real authority are being kept out. so every word in the website should be treated with a grain of salt.

I took a hard look at many of the pages appearing before mine and I have to admit, most of mine were old. The information was still correct, but I hadn't updated much at all. I spent the next few weeks making minor updates, reworked some keywording and it has helped a bit.
    leeann

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo

unfortunately, when the real authority on the subjects butt in, they ended up being the vandals, and the self-proclaimers ended up being the authority.
    It's so sad that happens I have been getting kicked in the rear by a few people that I should be participating in forums on pet health. I was treated pretty badly in one because I could back up what I was saying (and of course I was playing nice ) with medical references.

I was treated like an outcast because I had dealt with that particular illness on a daily basis in a clinic setting and so and so had 14 cats so therefore was more of an expert

I agree, some of the info has to be taken with a grain of salt
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread