ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Affiliate Marketing Web 2.0
    So let's get the ball rolling here. Post your examples of web 2.0 affiliate marketing sites, either your own or someone else's (no names please).

I'm curious to see what people have seen out there.
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

ABW Ambassador
    Now this one we have to be careful with:

Do NOT Post Affiliate URLs or links - it is a violation of our policies!

If you want to talk about your own sites and how you're using web2.0, I think that would be ok because some people have their own sites in their sigs and if they want to share how they're utilizing Web2.0, that would be ok. Or maybe you've seen how some sites are using them, you can use that as an example without posting someone's site.

As an example, like the one I talked about, seeing another site using a drop down so people can bookmark their site via social bookmarking sites. I think we can also talk about web 2.0 applications and such. Just not other people's affiliate sites. I like examples myself but we have to try to work with it while following the rules.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Trust is right.
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

I think you're talking about social shopping. It's not clearly defined and has only been around for about a year. Generally it's a shopping site that utilizes a community in the form of reviews, comments or product submissions. The sites gaining the most momentum have been the social shopping sites that allow for product submissions.

What we might be seeing more of is AJAX infused affiliate sites. These aren't necessarily "web 2.0" or any other form of social media. The more social the site the more they fit into the whole social circle: social networking, social media and social shopping.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

http and a telephoto
    Snib, social shopping isn't new at all. It is just being presented in new ways.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    True, forums have always been used as a type of social shopping ala Fatwallet forums and other deal/coupon, product forums etc. I've had a forum for one of my sites for a few years now and they're always talking about what merchants they like or what products they like or any good deals and so on. I guess when you add Ajax type stuff/widgets it's more Web2.0 shopping. Hard to define sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Snib, social shopping isn't new at all. It is just being presented in new ways.
    Yes, in the most general sense. Social shopping started when users could submit product reviews. But the modern definition of social shopping is beginning to require product submissions. This only started recently.

- Scott

seeing another site using a drop down so people can bookmark their site via social bookmarking sites
    Is this an example of a widget in use? I think I'm falling behind.

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, just a typical drop down menu a lot of sites use. For example a lot of coupon/deal sites that have a lot of merchants might have them so the site visitors can just pick a merchant and go straight to the merchant page on the site. Or just like CJ has it right after you login at the very bottom. My Advertisers, in a drop down. Pick a merchant, click go. So instead of having merchants in the dropdown, have the different social bookmarking sites. I can give an example of a site using it if anybody wants it, just PM me.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Yes, in the most general sense. Social shopping started when users could submit product reviews. But the modern definition of social shopping is beginning to require product submissions. This only started recently.

- Scott
    There are a plethora of sites that did indeed have product submissions. Not being argumentative, just pointing out that this is *not* new.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    There are a plethora of sites that did indeed have product submissions. Not being argumentative, just pointing out that this is *not* new.
    Okay, so the phrase "social shopping" is new

- Scott

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Although PopShops is not an affiliate site, but rather an affiliate tool that is Web 2.0 technology. It is based on the Ruby on Rails open-source platform and I feel it is a good example of the flexibility of Web 2.0 technology.
    Last edited by Angel Djambazov; March 13th, 2007 at 07:03 AM.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    I know that Judy's Book, Jellyfish, and Mpire all are doing affiliate stuff. Living in Seattle it seems like we are surrounded by Web 2.0 startups. Here is a little list compiled by the Seattle Times: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/v...asp?source=rss

You'll notice that this list is six months old so in that time period probably two dozen more have launched around here.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Popshops is a perfect example of web 2.0 My only complaint about some of the web 2.0ish sites is their load time. Sometimes they just have too much crap going on.

My definition of web 2.0 requires social interaction and community. Sites like Jellyfish aren't quite social, so I wouldn't consider them part of the social media circle. I don't know much about Popshops, but to me it doesn't seem like a social site. Maybe there are some web 2.0 features like AJAX, but for me to consider it web 2.0 it needs to have user supplied content. It's more like a tool than a community isn't it?

This is one reason why the phrase "web 2.0" is no good. Personally I don't like to use it. I prefer the social phrases: social networking, social media and social shopping. They're much more specific and focus on the core element of web 2.0: social interaction.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    This is one reason why the phrase "web 2.0" is no good. Personally I don't like to use it. I prefer the social phrases: social networking, social media and social shopping. They're much more specific and focus on the core element of web 2.0: social interaction.

- Scott
    Same here, Scott. However, the reason we've dubbed this forum "web2.0" is to try to bring together the social aspects of these emerging platforms with some of the technological and monetary developments going on as well. web2.0 makes a nice umbrella for all of that, I think.

Social shopping as an idea is nothing new. But as Angel points out, some of the ways we are going about it on the tech side (Ruby on Rails, etc) are opening doors (windows, crawl spaces) that hadn't existed before.

Quote Originally Posted by samharrelson
    Social shopping as an idea is nothing new. But as Angel points out, some of the ways we are going about it on the tech side (Ruby on Rails, etc) are opening doors (windows, crawl spaces) that hadn't existed before.
    Ruby is really no different from PHP. What makes it special is Ruby on Rails which is a framework written in Ruby to make it much faster to develop sites in Ruby. This just happened to be released right before the term "web 2.0" came about. There really is nothing "web 2.0" or social about it. Sometimes I hear people say their site is "web 2.0" because it's written in Ruby, but that's no different from saying a site is "web 2.0" because it uses mod_rewrite like Flickr does.

- Scott

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I guess we have different definitions of Web 2.0. How about ajax driven sites being called Web 1.99?

I believe some of these newer comparison shopping sites or old ones employing "search by color" could be considered Web 2.0. Though I feel it's a pretty useless service but a good gimmick to get your site reviewed in blogs.

I'm not sure what exactly affiliate marketing web 2.0 is, because I don't even know what its version 1.0. sorry

I'm now trying to develop a cashback deal shopping website for both shoppers and the person who posted the deals. Because I haven't gotten any valid affiliate links on my website yet, I think it is OK for me post my url here? http://www.dealpigg.com and a social shopping site in construction here: http://www.dealpigg.com/social

I will be willing to delete my urls in this post if it violates the rules of posting.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I just saw new releases of an old product on a merchant site labeled 2.0. LOL Kinda cute.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread