Social Shopping Strategies
    In regard to the Affiliate Marketing Web 2.0 thread I thought a good compliment would be social shopping strategies.

What strategies are working for you? What are some key components you think any social shopping, price comparison or coupon site needs? Here are a few of my must haves when it comes to being a customer:

- Reviews
    - Discussions
    - Profiles
    - RSS

This is really the bottom line to social shopping, so everything else is just gravy. It seems like product submissions are taking off and becoming the key component in a successful social shopping site. Coupon submissions are really stirring things up. If you're going to allow users to submit coupons you'll need to screen each and every one of those for exclusive deals.

You can also do aggregation from other social sites and build a search engine. Lots of ways to go here. If you aren't going social you'll have a hard time keeping up.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    From a seller's perspective, I don't see a giant amount of money in social shopping, *unless* you have something that's got some difference to it...something that'd count as "news."

Newsworthiness doesn't necessarily mean the latest cool gizmo (although it can)...for instance, if you've (or your merchants have) got the last available supply of Popular Common Product X online, people will want to know that! Also if you can offer a stellar deal on some item, some people will want to tell their friends about it.

As a customer I'd like to add some things that should be obvious, but that I don't always see (These are mostly for comparison/review sites):

REVIEWS should always be prominently dated! A lot of times, quality of a product can change drastically one way or the other, so I need to know if the reviewer is talking about the *current* situation or not.

I'm always leery of it when reviewers get ranked...it doesn't tell me if they're accurate reviewers, or merely good politicians.

It would be nice if comparison/review sites would purge discontinued items from their databases, even when that means deleting lots of discussions. Knowing how great Product X WAS only adds to my aggravation at not being able to find it! (Epinions especially seems to keep every single review, forever...)

COUPON SITES, as a class, need some better way to make sense of all the data. Also they desperately need to have their MerchantNames findable in several different ways! Meaning that the user should be able to find them whether or not they enter:
    The www
    the .com
    put .com instead of .net or some other variant, or vice versa
    use spaces or not
    add dashes where there shouldn't be any, or forget dashes that do belong there
    etc.

Also, some sites have their categories too finely granulated, so if you type something like "beach shoes" you don't see any rubber clogs or sandals...that should all be "beach footwear" or something like that (and THEN have the option for the user to narrow it down further if necessary).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I think this is particularly interesting...

REVIEWS should always be prominently dated! A lot of times, quality of a product can change drastically one way or the other, so I need to know if the reviewer is talking about the *current* situation or not.
    I think this is when blogging review sites get a leg up on the competition.

Great conversation!

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    IMO the 2.0 of shopping is not as social as it is visual.

If there are any shopping 2.0 sites who will make it big, it has to be the likes of like.com or something that becomes of what is currently the beta shopwave visual shopping interface from mpire.

RSS, too is really cool when it comes to coupons and especially product pricing - as RSS subscriptions gain popularity, people will want to subscribe to a product's RSS feeds and wait until the price drops to their budget.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateBuddha
    IMO the 2.0 of shopping is not as social as it is visual.
    I think there's a distinct difference between "web 2.0" shopping and social shopping. Many affiliates use "web 2.0" loosely and many times exclude the social features that would make the site a social shopping site. So for your example Like.com has some "web 2.0" features like AJAX, but it it not a social shopping site due to the lack of social features. This is just one reason many bloggers and experts in social media are avoiding use of the phrase "web 2.0".

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread