Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Anyone else space daylight savings?
    Duhhhhhhh - my daughter woke me up at what I thought was 6 AM. Thank God she knew it was spring forward time. I hadn't heard a word. Last year, I think someone posted here about it beforehand so I was on top of it. LOL - Geesh, if not for ABW, I wouldn't know wtf was going on in the outside world!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    This year someone here posted beforehand too:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=86816

Yep, I spaced it out. I didn't set my watch or the clock in the car and I was running around for a bit. I stopped at the cleaners and they were already closed. I thought I had 1/2 hour left.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    This year someone here posted beforehand too:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=86816
    OK, I'm officially brain dead. Somebody pull the plug
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

My friend remembered it too well.

Friday night she set her clocks forward, and Saturday morning she got up early and went to church. It took her a while to figure out why she was the only one there. Since she was all dressed up with no place to go she invited herself to my house.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Internet Cowboy
    I have three atomic clocks. Yesterday two of them set themselves, so I set the third one manually. This morning two of them were back to the old time. It was noon before I knew what time it was

DST came early this time around so that adds up to the change shock. The change, pushed forward last July 2005 by a U.S. bill intended to cut energy consumption, gives almost a month of extra daylight time during the spring, summer and early fall.
    Well with prices of fuel shooting up - i hope this helps a lot to curb power consumption.

My stepdaughter's school generated one of those automated announcement calls on Sunday afternoon. I assumed it was to remind us all about "springing forward" so the kids would be on-time; I also thought the district might use the opportunity to defend its refusal to negotiate with teachers, or its bizarre provocations which will probably lead to a strike next week. Nope.

Instead, we got four announcements:
    • "Monday is picture day," which is probably most important to kids, though some kids might not have looked very good if their families woke late and had to rush;
    • "Report cards will be sent home on Friday," which is probably most important to parents;
    • "Wednesday night is a family reading event at the school," which we'll all miss because we'll be at the school board meeting to protest the district's decision to provoke a strike; and
    • a "garden work day" at the school next Sunday.

Since she was all dressed up with no place to go she invited herself to my house.
    Sunday morning as we were leaving Church my daughter and her family were just getting there. We watched the kids and they went in the evening.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I also thought the district might use the opportunity to defend its refusal to negotiate with teachers, or its bizarre provocations which will probably lead to a strike next week.
    All students and their sympathetic parents should be glad for any strikes, whatever the reason for the work stoppage. Strikes = free extra vacation time from school!

And, it sounds like the district administration needs a swift kick..."bizarre provocations" huh? Let 'em wake up and smell the picket signs!

I wish they would do away with DST. That was one good thing about AZ.

http and a telephoto
    Some clocks reset and some didn't, will be interesting to see what automatically updates when they *should* have.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    My stepdaughter's school generated one of those automated announcement calls on Sunday afternoon.
    Wow, a walk down memory lane!! In 1980, I co-founded and served as the marketing director for the company (then called Auto Data Inc) that introduced the ADAD systems (automated dialing and announcement devices) which we branded as "predictive dialers" and CDS ("call distribution systems"). I am actually the author of the applications for schools which I introduced in 1985.

Our primary application was for unexcused absence and tardiness control. I branded them as the AWOL I and AWOL II programs. For our younger members, that means (Absent WithOut Leave)

Schools were funded according to their attendance which was averaged over three monitoring periods each year. Our first placement was Denver North H.S. from which Golda Meir (the ex prime minister of Israel) is still their most famous graduate. Their unexcused tardy and absentee rate was a staggering 31%. Within 30 days that dropped to less than 11%(66% improvement) when parents began getting automated calls in the evening to report the truancies. That gained DNHS an additional $300,000.00 + in annual state funding. We eventually sold systems to over 4,000 middle and high schools!

Later they also began using them in schools, churches with big congregations, city govt and other institutions to make the annual "change the clock" announcements. Though I've been away from the industry since 1990 it's a thrill to think that my applications are still in use.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Wow, I just a couple of minutes ago downloaded the update for my treo so I can get on the right time!

I HATE Daylight Savings. Stupid Indiana, was cool till they conformed ...
    KK

I was just thinking about this the other day. In this age of automation, you can never really be sure if your clock is right when DST happens!

Back before all the computerization, you knew if you had manually set your clock or not. Sure it was a pain, but at least you knew for sure that DST had happened or not.

My girlfriend was flying to Boston Sunday morning. Asked me the night before whether to set her alarm for 7:30 (when she needed to get up) or 6:30 (in case her cell phone didn't automatically reset for DST). I said go for both, but immediately after I said "How will you know if your clock is right when you get up?". If you look at another cell phone and the time is the same, that gets you nowhere! They could both have switched or both have not switched! Same thing with the TV! For a house without any manual clocks it is quite a conundrum.

Silly how all this mechanization can screw with your lives sometimes.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I spaced time change too! I was in Las Vegas for the Nascar race and forgot it was an hour later when I woke to leave the hotel! My mom had text me to see if I had remembered and sure enough I hadnt. So thanks to mom got to the raceway ON TIME!

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Well, I lost two hours Sunday. I was in Colorado Sunday morning and lost an hour when I got up, then another hour when I traveled back to Central Time Zone. Man, that was short day!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I wish they would do away with DST. That was one good thing about AZ.
    Here in Grenada there is no daylight savings but I was still thrown off by the switch in the states. I'm so used to calculating that Grenada is an hour ahead (of EST) so I was all confused when I saw that everyone was suddenly on my time! I actually miss DST because the days are always the same length here and that used to be the first inkling to me that the seasons were changing. I miss winter (ok well at least snow)!
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

the days are always the same length here
    That could be cool if that length is long--so, how long are the days?
    I'd love to ditch the short days of winter. It's like being in a dungeon when there's so little light.

I wouldn't miss the snow, though. It's actually 72F here today (nice little warm period), and I feel immensely better!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader

It's actually 72F here today (nice little warm period), and I feel immensely better!
    Weather's getting smarter there, huh?

Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

My DVR totally spaced daylight savings, so all of our timers are recording the wrong programs. Technology...!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    My DVR totally spaced daylight savings, so all of our timers are recording the wrong programs. Technology...!
    That's just not right!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

As for DST, my cellphone is the only autoupdating device that missed it. It switched over on Monday.

Personally I love DST...it gets dark too soon the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Weather's getting smarter there, huh?

Only for a day. It's 52 now, and the forecast says it's going to get colder.

The tulips in my garden are coming up, though...which means that pre-order sales should start thawing out soon
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread