Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    How To Get Traffic From Web 2.0 Sites
    To continue off some other discussions I'd like to share something I've noticed with a site I'm running. It won't apply to everyone here, but maybe to some...

I run a political blog/content site. Right now it has no aff links, but that's not the point really. Basically, I submit every decently long article I or the other writers create to the web 2.0 sites I use. Those generally are digg.com, newsvine.com, stumbledupon.com, reddit.com, and del.icio.us. I write a decent headline and description and copy and paste through these sites, tagging as I go. Takes maybe 15 minutes.

Now, only one of my articles has made it to the top of any of these sites. When it did, thousands of hits, which was nice. Most of my submissions get no more the 2-12 diggs, reddits, votes, etc... But, for most of these sites that represents signifigant traffic. 12 diggs usually means anywhere from 40-100 people clicked the link. With regular submissions to these sites, their referrals can make up a quarter of my traffic! And the traffic is pretty steady!

Basically the idea is, if you create content always submit it to these sites. You don't need to make it to the top of the list to get traffic. Even submissions that don't will bring in steady traffic, and often a decent amount.

Hope that helped! Any other tips on getting traffic from web 2.0?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Great points, MINDsprinter.

I think the mistake that a lot of people make when they first encounter something like Digg traffic is trying to get on the front page everyday. It's a much better (or LongTail if you will) approach to let the traffic at social networking sites grow organically.

Trying to push your content on social networks will only get you banned, "dugg down" or either result in brand damage with that network (which can be full of influencers).

I guess for my site I don't get the banned/dugg down issues, because I am submitting legitamate original content. Of course, if you were submitting say individual product pages to these sites I can see that...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

But even the individual product page sites can quickly run into similar issues if you push the sites too hard. There really is a core base of users on Digg, Reddit, Netscape, etc who keep a pretty tight reign on the type of commercial material that gets more than a few diggs or votes. So, the moral of the story is be careful if you're going down that route (which is not the wisest in my opinion).

Right! I think we're trying to say the same thing...

If you've got real content, submit often. If you've got ads or aff links on your pages that don't effect the content, no big deal!

But, if you run a pretty solidly commercial website, you might have trouble here.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Yep... that's it!

I think a good way to get traffic from these sites is to employ "web 2.0" or social features on your site. Best to develop a community. I've found that forum posts or blog posts with a huge discussion get the most Diggs. If people aren't commenting on your blog posts you will likely not reach the first page of Digg. The real key is the user generated content that develops around your site or article. Of course there are stories that do well because they're a great story, but having social features can only help.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

To expand on my previous post another great way to get traffic is from "web 2.0" blogs. There are some prominent blogs like Techcrunch, Mashable or ReadWriteWeb that profile new social startups. If your site is good enough you can get a write-up and a substantial amount of traffic from a single story. The bar is high here and it continues to be raised, but that's the internet for you.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Sometimes I think there is that misconception that in order to get traffic from these sites you need community type stuff, social type stuff, blog etc. A regular website can get good traffic too. Good stuff will get talked about, passed on, bookmarked. Just like good sites have always gotten bookmarked in the past. You might help the process along by having options on your regular sites like buttons, drop downs etc.

I agree Scott. The site I'm talking about has comment features plus little web 2.0 buttons to allow users to submit to these sites after every post.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Sometimes I think there is that misconception that in order to get traffic from these sites you need community type stuff, social type stuff, blog etc. A regular website can get good traffic too. Good stuff will get talked about, passed on, bookmarked. Just like good sites have always gotten bookmarked in the past. You might help the process along by having options on your regular sites like buttons, drop downs etc.
    Yes, you don't need to have social features to get traffic from social sites. But it definitely helps. Especially when you're trying to get traffic from blogs that profile social sites. But there are always "web 1.0" sites making it to the front page of Digg and they're stumbled regularly on Stumbleupon. It really just comes down to generating useful and compelling content.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    "It really just comes down to generating useful and compelling content."

Agree 100%. I think as this goes further and we start having individual threads on each one of them we'll start seeing the differences in them, some little, some more. Something that Loxly posted yesterday which I think others might be thinking the same thing. Whereas Technorati is just for blogs so some think all of these things are just for blogs, which isn't the case at all. Snib do you know others besides Technorati that is just for blogs or is that the only one?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes guys, you've just inspired me to submit an article to Digg. Something I feel needs attention and no one else had submitted anything about it so I self-promoted and linked to my own article about a particular law case going on.

Are we supposed to submit our own articles or did I just break a netiquette rule?

Either way, I'll let you know how it plays out.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure people submit all the time and you have good articles. The people there I think would be pretty good at seeing what is spam and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Yikes guys, you've just inspired me to submit an article to Digg. Something I feel needs attention and no one else had submitted anything about it so I self-promoted and linked to my own article about a particular law case going on.

Are we supposed to submit our own articles or did I just break a netiquette rule?

Either way, I'll let you know how it plays out.
    You can definitely submit your own articles, but it's not the most common way to get to the front page. The nice thing is you'll get traffic immediately. And if it catches on you'll get flooded with traffic. After a couple hours you'll pretty much peak and start declining though.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    You can definitely submit your own articles, but it's not the most common way to get to the front page. The nice thing is you'll get traffic immediately. And if it catches on you'll get flooded with traffic. After a couple hours you'll pretty much peak and start declining though.

- Scott
    Good to know. Thanks Scott.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Yes, definitely submit your own! The point I'm trying to make is even if you don't make it to the front page of anything, submitting your articles to a bunch of different social sites can bring in steady traffic, even if it is not in the floods that a front page link brings. It's a good strategy in general to put in with your other traffic campaigns...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Yes, definitely submit your own! The point I'm trying to make is even if you don't make it to the front page of anything, submitting your articles to a bunch of different social sites can bring in steady traffic, even if it is not in the floods that a front page link brings. It's a good strategy in general to put in with your other traffic campaigns...
    Yep, the internet will always be about where you submit your site. It's true that you can get steady traffic from these sites by submitting your content. It's even nicer to have your own visitors submit their content on your site. Then they'll digg it on their own.

For example blogger offers free blogging. Bloggers write stories in Blogger, submit to Digg and get traffic. Google wins because their search box is on every one of these Blogger pages.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure people submit all the time and you have good articles. The people there I think would be pretty good at seeing what is spam and stuff.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Trust.

I would imagine that submitting my own articles (link to my site where the article is published) is spam, although it is original content and something I feel needs to be brought to light. Tough finding a category to place it in as my stuff isn't business, sports, entertainment or world news. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Tough finding a category to place it in as my stuff isn't business, sports, entertainment or world news.
    That's one problem I've always had with these types of sites. They don't focus on anything I write about, or have any interest in writing about.

Sports, entertainment...blech, I couldn't care less about either...
    World news...already at least as overdone as the first two.
    Business...Maybe I'll do an occasional post on a blog of my own, but it wouldn't be a focus of any of my sites, which limits the submission opportunies on that topic.
    Tech stuff/cool gadgetry...whatever floats yer boat, but I never could see the fascination with it, so I don't expect to be the source of any compelling articles about it. Maybe if the latest iPod falls out of a plane and lands in my garden, I'll have a scoop LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That's one problem I've always had with these types of sites. They don't focus on anything I write about, or have any interest in writing about.

Leader, you could write a piece about gardens (it's spring!) with links to your bulbs and site.

You can DO THIS! Think: CONT*NT. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Hitwise reports that 6.5% of web traffic comes from social networks...

Quote Originally Posted by samharrelson
    Hitwise reports that 6.5% of web traffic comes from social networks...
    I didn't see anything about 6.5% of web traffic on the URL you provided. Also does that 6.5% include Stumbleupon and Digg?

- Scott

You have to compile the stats.

This explains more about the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by samharrelson
    You have to compile the stats.

This explains more about the numbers.
    Oh I mis-understood. I thought you meant social networks provide 6.5% of traffic to other sites. This second URL leads me to believe that social networks receive 6.5% of all internet traffic. But I still don't see how the 6.5% can be calculated considering there was no mention of the total internet traffic.

- Scott

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast