View Poll Results: What checkout would you feel comfortable with (as an affiliate)?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • PayPal is fine with me

13 38.24%
  • 2CheckOut is fine with me

1 2.94%
  • Anything but PayPal

1 2.94%
  • Anything but 2CheckOut

0 0%
  • Get a real merchant account

19 55.88%
    Question Would You Promote a Merchant with PayPal Checkout?
    I've had this discussion with an ABW-er that's been asked to start an affiliate program, and she feels that PayPal isn't really enough... Says affiliates would probably feel better about 2CO, or it may be much better for the merchant to get "a real merchant account".

What do you think?

Thanks,

Geno

It doesn't really matter to me. I think anything that will track reliably is fine. If it tracks, it's fine. If it doesn't.......

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    If a merchant wants to open shop, they absolutely need to be set up with a merchant account and able to take payments via regular methods. PayPal as an option is OK but certainly not a viable alternative to a real merchant account.

PayPal only screams unprofessional.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I agree with Rexanne.

I personally do not have a paypal account nor do I want one.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I agree with Rex's analogy here. We've had merchant accounts for many years. Last December we looked into PP as a possible added choice for shoppers. WE actually set up the account, but we are yet to activate it as we have mixed feelings on whether it is a benefit at this point.

It could be an option; certainly the name is well known and from what I can see, trusted. But it would not be a good alternative to a good old M.A. with a solid gateway and processor.

Good Luck
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I agree with Rexanne.

I personally do not have a paypal account nor do I want one.
    I have a PayPal account and love it but I'm not a merchant, nor would I use PayPal only as a checkout option if I was a merchant.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Good feedback, guys and gals. Reflects exactly what we have discussed. But it is always best to be backed up by other affiliates' votes and opinions.

Looking forward to more.

Thank you.

Geno

If a merchant is too cheap to get a merchant account, I'm not interested in working with them. It's unprofessional and will lower conversion ratios. (And the fact that they are such amateurs means they're probably doing many other things that lower conversion ratios, too.)

I've always thought PayPal was okay as an option, but I'm starting to rethink that. I've had quite a few complaints from customers whose orders weren't fulfilled, and the common thread with many of them is that they paid with PayPal. The integration back with the shopping cart can be problematic. In older implementations, the customer had to click a link to go back to the confirmation page. Many wouldn't see the link and would just close the browser. Their money was taken, but the shopping cart never completed the order. Apparently new implementations are less problematic, but I still hear of problems.

I'm also wary that the same problems that cause incomplete orders also cause affiliate tracking problems. The problems with Google Checkout just reinforce that concern.

If you're an eBay seller, by all means accept PayPal. If you're a merchant, avoid PayPal like a plague and get a merchant account instead.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Everything MichaelColey says is right on.

I will add that I know several people (consumers, not merchants or marketers) who have told me they will abandon a purchase if they get to the check-out and see that PP is the only option.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Putting my devils advocate hat on - and just to be mischevious:

What makes Paypal unprofessional and amateur?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ABW Ambassador
    Unless it's an added feature, PayPal says "small" to me when it comes to a merchandise site - which I don't mind with certain types of vendors.

Any thoughts on 2Checkout? I don't like to use my credit card all over, and feel comfortable with 2Checkout (like for hosting on subscription billing, for example, which I wouldn't do otherwise). Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem a cut above PayPal when it comes to "image."

I guess everyone has their own shopping experiences, but I always feel safe paying with Paypal. In fact, I backed out of a cart with a merchant with a "real" merchant account because they asked for the phone number to the customer service department on the back of my credit card. Secure site and all, but it put my hackles up.

I think some of it depends on the product as well. I'm accustomed to paying for software with paypal, but I'm not sure I'd by a Home Theatre System through a Paypal only merchant.

Unless of course I was buying it (for some reason), through an eBay store. Which I probably wouldn't do either...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think there are two separate business scenarios mixed together here. I answered that the merchant needs a regular merchant account, but that is not my total response.

1. A merchant needs a regular merchant account or it will appear that they are not prepared to be a real business. Regular merchant accounts are too widely available for even "bruised credit" or "no credit" accounts. If you don't have one, you appear to be unaware of how people pay or unable to get the basics necessary to conduct transactions.

2. On the other hand, a Paypal addition to the payment mix could be a help to conversion. There are plenty of online buyers out there who don't have a wallet full of credit options, but do have an active Paypal account and know how to pull the trigger. I agree with Michael Coley that the shopping cart has to recognize everything and help facilitate the experience rather than add to customer service woes.

Bottom line: Offer as many ways to pay as you can legitimately afford to support while making sure that none of them scream Scam or Amateur.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Rexanne said. Might as well call the site "this-is-my-spare-time-hobby.com..."

I've got one paypal-plagued merchant that I've had for years, but I won't add any more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    What makes Paypal unprofessional and amateur?
    There's a few reasons but the Big Reason is:
    The shopping cart isn't on-site. But customers know that at any *big* merchant...the checkout is always on the same site! And, they accept credit cards. So, offsite checkout = small-time, and paypal instead of the CC itself also = small-time...and all a potential customer has to have done to know that is shop at any big merchant.

It's easy to get both the merchant account and the secure server certif except in extreme circumstances. So I always wonder what the heck is wrong with these merchants who don't do so.

Paypal's the service that any putz can use...problem is, every other putz knows that.

It has no class!

It makes a person wonder if the merchant couldn't afford a real merchant account, secure server, etc... and for those unfamiliar with merchant account requirements (and most people likely know nothing solid about it), it may bring questions about the merchant's credit rating.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    If every shopper without a PP account would sign up for one just to make a purchase with a particular merchant I'd have no problem with PP as the sole cart. I worry that a shopper without a PP account would balk and walk when they realize they can only pay with PP. So yes, I do have a problem with PP as the sole means of payment.

I haven't looked at the details, but supposedly you can accept PayPal without requiring customers to have a PayPal account. That still doesn't change my view. I would not work with a PayPal only merchant, and would prefer one who doesn't even accept PayPal (or Google Payments). I've just seen too many problems.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Tax Paying Member
    I think that you guys are letting emotion rather than reason sway your opinions. Have you checked out some of the companies who are selling the gateways and merchant accounts to merchants these days.??? Every fly by night outfit is selling "real credit card" checkouts. How secure are they?? Paypal is probably more safe than some of these guys.

With a Paypal checkout, a customer can pay with his/her favorite credit card without opening a Paypal account.

A selling point for Paypal checkout is that the customers credit card records are not stored on the merchants computers. I understand the 2checkout operates similar to Paypal.

My personal hangup with Paypal is that it is owned by Ebay.

Just my humble opinion.......
    Last edited by Witzer; January 3rd, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

This was a bump of a pretty old (2+ years) thread. Things have changed with PayPal (as I suspected in my 2007 post and Witzer mentioned in his recent one) - you can now set it up so that the customer doesn't need an account and might not even realize that it's PayPal.

That still doesn't change things when it comes to affiliate tracking and consumer perception.

There are still numerous reports of affiliate sales not tracking when customers use PayPal checkout.

To me a merchant who doesn't have a merchant account screams "inexperienced", "small" and "new" (and perhaps "fly by night"). You probably only need a couple thousand dollars a month in sales for a merchant account to be more economical than PayPal, and if a merchant isn't generating that much sales, I would be concerned about viability.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Michael wrote:
    There are still numerous reports of affiliate sales not tracking when customers use PayPal checkout.
    The bottom line is the bottom line. (If it doesn't track you can have it back.)

21. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread