Hi everyone,

I have a question about sales stragety. Currently my site works like this:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>7-8 themed section for gift ideas
    <LI>Each index page has 'teasers' leading to full page descriptions of each product
    <LI>Each product page has links to 'buy now'[/list]

What are your thoughts on this?

The product pages draw traffic nicely but I'm not entirely convinced that the 'teasers' on each index page of each 'section' shouldn't like directly to the merchant?

So my basic Q is:

Individual prd pages or direct links from very short descriptions to the the merchant?

Or both?

Thanks

Nick

Tioka Internet // Web design &amp; SEO

I think you are doing it the best way right now.

You'll get more impressions and it might not look as good in your stats reports but people will buy more and your epc will run higher.

I guess my thoughts are why send them to the merchant not knowing exactly what they want to buy. I would like them to have their credit card ready when they leave my site.

Well, that's why I did it that way to start with, I think your spot on.

With 300 visits a day and only a couple of sales in the last week I guess I've gotta take a look at my copy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nick

hmmm......

Take a look at your log files and see if the search queries are for products you actually have. Also see if it looks like buying customer searches or just lookers/info seekers.

One good example from my own records is I get a lot of people looking for sound card drivers. I'm trying to sell sound blaster sound cards but these people already own one and probably just want to update or replace their lost drivers.

Yes, mine come in looking for 'categories' like 'anniversary gifts' 'gifts for my boyfriend' etc. I'll take a look at what I'm actually promoting...

Nick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    I guess my thoughts are why send them to the merchant not knowing exactly what they want to buy. I would like them to have their credit card ready when they leave my site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an interesting fundamental question though ain't it?

I'm similarly struggling with search boxes on sites. Where I have a site that aggregates several merchant products, it seems clear I should have my own site-wide search to transcend the various categories.

Where I'm not so sure is with single-merchant sites. I have added my own search to these sites, thinking I should keep them on my site until/unless they're ready to buy, but I'm not so sure. But maybe that's a hangover fom the traffic-is-king-I-used-to-make-money-from-banner-ads days.

Maybe I should use the merchant's search and get them over there and cookie'd asap?

Maybe it depends on how well the merchant converts.

Maybe I should test it.

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

I would have to agree, you appear to be doing it right.

I had changed the displayed text in a button from BUY to MORE, and my click through increased but my sales did not. So, I am in the process of changing those links back.

The closer we can get the consumer to the point of purchase, the better off we all are.

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread