ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Let me just get some things perfectly clear so I'm not off-base. I know some of these things have been debated and spoken about in this forum before. However, I need some clear answers because I don't have time to go through all the posts. I'm looking for facts here, not opinions.

1. CJ allows its merchants the ability to cut off an affiliates cookie after one day?

1a. If yes to #1, is the merchant required to notify the affiliate that they've done this in some way?

2. If yes to #1, does CJ have a way for affiliates to know which merchants are doing this?

3. Todd has publicly stated he thinks merchants should at least use 7 day cookies, however, the CJ system allows the merchant to set their own cookie length. If CJ officially recommends longer cookies, why are they providing the functionality for merchants to cut them short?

4. If you're a merchant, can you give me the reasons behind why you don't set your cookies to 365 days?

Thanks...

ABW Ambassador
    You have two different issues here -- cookie length and the infamous "keep=no"... the answers to your questions vary dependent on which you're asking about... so which are you asking about?

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Both are related somewhat, no?

Clarification on both items then if you can.

ABW Ambassador
    >>1. CJ allows its merchants the ability to cut off an affiliates cookie after one day?<<

COOKIE DAYS: Yes, merchants can set their cookie length to one day.

KEEP=NO: Merchants can set keep=no which will turn off the cookie after the first sale. What day the sales takes place (day 1 or day 27 of a 30 day cookie) isn't really relevant, it's the sale that triggers the kill, not the timeline.

>>1a. If yes to #1, is the merchant required to notify the affiliate that they've done this in some way?<<

COOKIE LENGTH: This is information is provided in the Advertiser Detail page. If the merchant changes their cookie length, affiliates receive an automated notice of the change.

KEEP=NO: Not at the present. Although there is talk of this information being added to the Advertiser Detail page.

>>2. If yes to #1, does CJ have a way for affiliates to know which merchants are doing this?<<

See answer to 1a.

>>3. Todd has publicly stated he thinks merchants should at least use 7 day cookies, however, the CJ system allows the merchant to set their own cookie length. If CJ officially recommends longer cookies, why are they providing the functionality for merchants to cut them short?<<

Because not all merchants agree with Todd.

>>4. If you're a merchant, can you give me the reasons behind why you don't set your cookies to 365 days?<<

I'm not a merchant, but I'd hazard a guess it has something to do with money. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    --------
    I'm not a merchant, but I'd hazard a guess it has something to do with money.
    --------

Think I'll nominate that for 'Understatement of The Year' Award....lol.

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    What makes me (AS A MERCHANT) MAD - is that CJ's instructions on setting up our cart for CJ tracking - has "keep=no" as the default. My techs set up the tracking. I did not know this was an issue or would cut my affiliates out of commiss until I read some posts here and talked to Haiko about it.

I WANT our affiliates to get $$ on every sale! The more THEY make the more WE make and the more we PAY them the more they will PROMOTE US! Doesn't this make perfect sense??? Anyone ever heard of WIN-WIN???

Sorry, I'm a little riled up over this. I hope in the future CJ sets the default to "keep=yes" to give the affiliate the benefit of the sale. If the merchant is cheap enough to want to short affiliates on follow up sales then they can figure out how to turn it OFF.

AND it should be noted on their account.

Cookie Duration 45 days
    Paid on all sales or 1st sale - ALL (or 1st Only)
    (Something like that)

Thanks for letting me vent. Hope CJ reads.

Linda
    Ecommerce & Affiliate Manager
    ProSound and Stage Lighting
    www.pssl.com
    Email & Search Engine Marketing
    www.catalystEmarketing.com

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread