Shooting at where I work
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/15/nyc...out/index.html

The block I work at is completely blocked off and is swarmed by cops and firefighters (hosing down the blood on the sidewalk)... a guy went crazy and shot a guy and two cops. Then the backup cops shot the guy right on the block I work at.

i had to prove that i work here this morning just to get into my office it's really crazy here.

ABW Ambassador
    How Scary!!!!

I think I would have chosen to work at home or called in sick.

You are very brave to have continued.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm so sorry to hear that. That's the neighborhood my husband grew up in.

I'm with Aunt Lily, I would have stayed home.

Stay safe!

Internet Cowboy
    I just saw that on CNN. He shot the waiter 15 times...WOW. It is tragic.

My son missed his school bus to middle school on Tuesday. Yesterday he overslept (rare for him, but understandable after you hear what happened). Seems on Tuesday someone shot out the window behind where he sits with a BB gun (no wonder he did not want to ride the bus on Wednesday). They caught and arrested the kid (probably high school age) who did it so at least I don't have to worry so much about it happening again.

Not near as serious as the above, but what a world we live in. We live in a good part of town and were really surprised to hear of this happening. But bad things can happen to good people at any time.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

When I lived in CA, there was a shooting just down the block from our house. Some guys in a truck had completely blocked the crosswalk and a bicyclist requested that they move. They wouldn't and things got a little heated. The passenger pulled a gun and killed the bicyclist, unaware that there was a motorcycle cop right there to witness it.

My brother and I had been out walking and had seen dozens of cop cars race by and near the end of our walk, we got to the spot and saw why. We had taken a different route than our normal walk that day because I wanted to cash in a winning scratcher lottery ticket. If we'd gone the way we normally did, we would've been right smack dab in the middle of it all when it happened. Scary. The bicyclist had a wife and a 2 year old daughter. It was very tragic, especially since I don't think the shooter got nearly as much jail time as he deserved.

We lived in the "good" part of town, just two blocks from the police station.

Needless to say, we took a break from walking every day after that.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Your posting created sort of a flashback for me. One morning back in 2003, one of my closers was shot and killed by her estranged husband in our parking lot when she arrived at work. He killed himself on the spot right after. What a nightmare!

That also reminded me of the time one of the psycho employees where I used to work tried to bring a gun inside the building in his briefcase. It was a federal building with a metal detector and x-ray machine. What's really bizarre, however, is that he wasn't outright fired after that incident. I don't know the whole story, but he disappeared for a while then came back to work and then was fired for showing up drunk one morning a few weeks later. Thank God for our big, burly ex-Marine security guards. They took care of each situation quickly and professionally and prevented what could've turned out to be a nightmare.

About a year later, my boss called me (I worked at a client site) in a panic asking me to confirm the guy's name. It seems he had recently applied for a job with our company again. He didn't get it.

That guy gave me the creeps from the day he started working there.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    swong - I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. I would be so scared! I'm sure that I would have opted to stay home.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Swong,

Just be glad you were not already at work when this happened.

Two months ago, my wife and I were in a bank during a robbery, and about a dozen years ago I was in the downtown Los Angeles Civil Courthouse when, after a divorce hearing, a husband shot and killed his wife.

The next month they put in metal detectors.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

When I walked around, you can see bullet holes in random stores and broken glasses. I just went out for lunch and the cops are gone now.

It was quite a scene! One of my co-workers didn't know about the shooting and he saw police spotlights and thought they closed the block off to shoot a movie. He asked the cop what they were filming. lol.

But thanks everyone for your concern! And some of the other stories shared here are pretty scary too!

Sorry this happened so close to you, too and agree it must've been very scary. Glad you weren't hurt.
    Very sad about the victim and his family and the two policemen and their families. The one was only 19.

Wowsa' ..... I'm glad your okay & arrived after the shooting stopped!

Is it just my thinking or does it appear like more & more people are just going 'postal' these days and shooting at anyone who simply walks by them?
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Maybe time for a job change!! Violence like that is so hollowing. What went on in the guys mind that he went over the edge, how long have things been building up inside his obviously altered mind, the unfortunate victims whose families lose their loved ones. I remember Columbine H.S. just like it was yesterday, and the numbing effect it still has... So sad.

I hope you are alright emotionally.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    DOJ Statistics (Latest release - 9/2006) say violent crime is way down:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/cv2.htm

The yellojournalismazation of mainstream media and explosion of new types of media outlets in recent years makes it appear that these types of events are more prevalant.

That or the government is manipulating the stats.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

!!!! That is scarrrryyy! The closest drama I've been through is on September 12th (day after 9/11) when I was working in the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur and there was an emergency evacuation for obvious reasons..

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread