Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    New Datafeed Format - Important - March 23rd.
    On Friday March 23rd we plan to release the new datafeed format to affiliates, with additional fields added to help everyone further work with these feeds.

The current affiliate datafeed is:

ProductID|Name|MerchantID|Merchant|Link|Thumbnail|BigImage|Price|RetailPrice
    |Category|SubCategory|Description|Custom1|Custom2|Custom3|Custom4|Custom5|La
    stUpdated|status

The new order will be:

ProductID|Name|MerchantID|Merchant|Link|Thumbnail|BigImage|Price|RetailPrice
    |Category|SubCategory|Description|Custom1|Custom2|Custom3|Custom4|Custom5|La
    stUpdated|status|manufacturer|partNumber|merchantCategory|merchantSubcategor
    y|shortDescription|ISBN|UPC

Which means, the following 7 fields are being added to the end of the database record, ...

|manufacturer - 255 Chars, merchant defined field with the Manufacturer information

|partNumber - 255 Chars, merchant defined field with the part number

|merchantCategory - 255 Chars, merchant defined category

|merchantSubcategory - 255 Chars, merchant defined subcategory

|shortDescription - 255 Chars, non-HTML short description of the product

|ISBN - 25 Chars, specific for media, see Wikipedia definition of ISBN

|UPC - 25 Chars, Universal Product Code - see Wikipedia definition of UPC

All of the new fields are text fileds, and blank values are possible. ISBN
    and UPC have a maximum character limit of 25, the other fields have a
    maximum character limit of 255.

We've been working with Merchants to have new feeds uploaded containing the new data, but it is likely that you will see blanks in the additional 7 fields at the end for a little while, as merchants make the changes necessary. We've recommended for those merchants using the current Custom fields to create a category structure, that they leave those intact for a while, and utilize the new category fields in parallel until some time has passed in order to make the change smoother...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

A good tutorial for those who build the feeds would be nice. I talked to one AM the other day who thought |Category | SubCategory | was all we needed in the way of categories.

Great change Brian! Nothing more important to me than a complete datafeed. Hopefully the addition of the UPC field will encourage more merchants to use it. That's definitely something that's lacking in most feeds.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Wow... You are great.... Just what I need. Yes, Merchants, please supply a UPC/ISBN (expecially), but also Manufacturer and MPN.

Using these standardized fields and supplying the UPC, ISBN, MPN, and Manufacturer will increase your exposure (and sales) on price comparison web sites.

Hurray!
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    how about SKUs? it will be a great on SAS datafeeds

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    None of those fields apply to most of my products. It'll be okay to just leave them blank in that case, won't it?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Mr. GoldenCan
    Good work Brian,

Thank you for adding these fields. it will make much eaiser to find certain values in the data feeds now.

How about the merchant ProductID/SKU Number?
    In many cases it is needed to refer back to the ProductID/Sku Number that merchants are using on their own website.

Brian, for those of us who do most of our feed edits via the online interface, will we be able to easily update from there, or at least download our existing feeds to edit offline?

Also, what about products that belong in multiple sub-categories?

Another addition that would be great is to include category and subcategory links in the datafeeds. As an affiliate, I often prefer to link to category pages, but few merchants include category links.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    None of those fields apply to most of my products. It'll be okay to just leave them blank in that case, won't it?
    Same boat for me. Some of our products have ISBN, but that's the extent of it. The rest of the fields don't apply.

I'd hate to give the perception of an incomplete or unmaintained feed simply because we don't carry mainstream consumer goods.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I talked to one AM the other day who thought |Category | SubCategory | was all we needed in the way of categories.

If you have less than 100 products, no problem.

However, some merchants have thousands, tens of thousands of products. A data feed with that many products, and limited categories, is difficult for many affiliates to handle.

Brian - as a merchant, I cannot see that I've gotten any emails from SAS about this! Since we've added over 200 items since our first feed, and plan on regenerating another feed shortly, I'm concerned.

I have a programmer that does the modifications for my datafeed and I need to get on his schedule.

Thanks, Juli

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Juli,

We sent out several emails as well as posted here on ABW, our blog, and within the merchant interface. It is backwards compatible for now, so you can make changes as you wish.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    I just finished my first datafeed site with CJ's datafeeds. I'm thinking about starting to work on my SAS merchants datafeeds. I've downloaded one feed to take a close look. SAS feeds structure is slightly different with CJ's. That can be managed. However, I have a hard time to try to input USERIDs into the feeds.

Shouldn't the USERIDs be ready in the datafeed with my paticipated merchants? Or it is the extra work we need to put in with each merchants' datafeeds?

atonca,

The easiest way to input your USERIDs is to use MS Excel or similiar program and perform a search and replace.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Shouldn't the USERIDs be ready in the datafeed with my paticipated merchants?
    You won't find that to be that case with SAS. This is what I use when importing the feed.
    Code:
     mysql_query("UPDATE your_feed_temp set link = REPLACE(link,'YOURUSERID','xxxxxxx')") or die(mysql_error());
    Where 'xxxxxxxx' is your SAS number.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    atonca,

The easiest way to input your USERIDs is to use MS Excel or similiar program and perform a search and replace.

-rematt
    Thanks rematt. I've noticed that a lot of posts here mentioned using "search and replace" function with excel. That's exactly what I want to do. My excel knowledge is pretty basic. Would you mind explain it a little bit more ? if that's too much to ask, I will do some self-learning later.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    You won't find that to be that case with SAS. This is what I use when importing the feed.
    Code:
     mysql_query("UPDATE your_feed_temp set link = REPLACE(link,'YOURUSERID','xxxxxxx')") or die(mysql_error());
    Where 'xxxxxxxx' is your SAS number.
    Thanks Bunpaw. I guess you are talking about importing the feed to the remote host using mysql? I'm not that far yet. What I did is I download the feeds into excel, clean the feeds, then use webmerge to build the pages. It's a lot of work, but that's what I've learned so far. Many thanks for your help.

No problem, just reopen your datafeed in Excel and go to the Edit menu. Under the Edit menu select Replace. On the "Find What" line enter the phrase 'YOUR USERID' (without the quotes) and in the "Replace With" line enter your actual SaS userid. Select "Replace All" and all instances of 'YOUR USERID' should be gone and replaced by your ID. Save your file and you're good to go. Make sure that you close the file before you reparse it with Webmerge.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    No problem, just reopen your datafeed in Excel and go to the Edit menu. Under the Edit menu select Replace. On the "Find What" line enter the phrase 'YOUR USERID' (without the quotes) and in the "Replace With" line enter your actual SaS userid. Select "Replace All" and all instances of 'YOUR USERID' should be gone and replaced by your ID. Save your file and you're good to go. Make sure that you close the file before you reparse it with Webmerge.

-rematt
    Thank you rematt. I really appreciate your kindness help.

Still think SAS should have USERID ready in the feed. Maybe that's too hard to do...

No problem atonca. I don't see changing the USERID as much of a problem since I usually edit the feed anyway to update the content and it only takes a few seconds more. At least they don't charge for their feeds like some other networks.

-rematt

ABW Ambassador
    Agree.

I spent a lot more time to clean feeds. It's not a big deal to add a few more seconds to replace the USERID.

Hi Brian, just one quick question, will the new feed format work with the WM SAS ? I'm planning to get WM SAS pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by redsand
    Hi Brian, just one quick question, will the new feed format work with the WM SAS ? I'm planning to get WM SAS pretty soon.
    Good question, I am interested to know as well. It should work but better to hear from Brian.

Brian, I'm working on importing the SAS datafeeds into a MySQL database. You provided the field formats for the new fields in this post. Is there a place that provides this for the rest of the datafeed fields? Thank you.

BurgerBoy, no worries. I didn't help with the way I stated it. I just reread it and can see how you thought I was asking for the rest of the fields.

To clarify, I'm looking for the other field formats, like

"|manufacturer - 255 Chars, merchant defined field with the Manufacturer information"

for the rest of the fields in the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teesed
    BurgerBoy, no worries. I didn't help with the way I stated it. I just reread it and can see how you thought I was asking for the rest of the fields.

To clarify, I'm looking for the other field formats, like

"|manufacturer - 255 Chars, merchant defined field with the Manufacturer information"

for the rest of the fields in the feed.
    Take a look at this whole thread, particularly post #55 in the thread.

That thread has some excellent information on creating MySQL tables from SAS datafeeds. It's a classic.
    Generate more fake news.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast