ABW Ambassador
    I use MSIE 5.5.

If I type in "anyolddomainnameIwant.com" and MS does not find a site at that domain, MS now has an AFFILIATE link to ItMelborne, "Check availability or register the domain name 'anyolddomainnameIwant.com'" with their affiliate code right there for Melbourne IT.

A few months ago, I posted a question: what is the long term stability of the affiliate marketing game?

I don't think some people realized what I said when I said, "What about when the big boys get into it?"

Right now Overture makes cents/click. Same for googles adwords.

How long do you think it'll take for them to figure out, if they just joined CJ/LS/CC/SS/BF (et al) and started paring up their search results with affiliate codes.... they'd be making way more money than they are now?

And this has been at the top of my "doom and gloom" list for many months now. Not so much that I fear Google and Yahoo, but CJ/LS/CC/SS/BF (et al) . Once CJ/LS/CC/SS/BF (et al) has BILLIONS of search results a month going thru these companies, how do you think they will treat us "little guys?"

But also we'll soon be competing with google and yahoo in their own search results.

So, the point of my msg? Make your money now folks, cuz it's going to be lot harder in the not so distant future.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

MSN, Yahoo, and most other search engines are already doing this with their shopping pages displayed prominently. They are bound to get even more agressive. From what I've read on other forums, Looksmart in particular uses affiliate relationships heavily.

It's already getting harder - at least for me! - so which one of you here has been taking my sales? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am more concerned about the parasites at this point than the large engines. Though your thoughts are good food for thought.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think the merchants would go for that. They get free traffic from people finding them in the search engines. If the search engines do what you said, the merchants would be paying commissions on every search.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

ABW Ambassador
    The large portals (even MSN) DO entertain performance deals.
    However, what you might be seeing is an ad tracking link. Many merchants use their affiliate systems to monitor the efficacy of ads. This is pretty common.

JohnnieBry- It might be free today, but that doesn't mean it will be free tomorrow. Portals are eyeing their real estate and they want to make money from it.

best,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

ABW Ambassador
    AffJustice,

On second thought you might want to check to see if you have installed any sort of "internet naming" system. These systems allow redirection through a 3rd party using keywords.

I do not see this happening with my version of IE 6.0

-wayne

ABW Ambassador
    What i meant is don't the merchants have to approve the search engines to be affiliates. Let's say MSN wants to be an affiliate of Office Depot and Office Depot says no. If MSN decides it will carry only merchants that they can make commissions off of and take Office Depot out of their search results, that will hurt the relevancy of their results. And i don't think merchants will want to pay for every visitor that finds them thru the search engines.
    Also i think if somebody like Google did that, it would kill the PPC. I think it will go to more what is happening now, PPC ads along with the results.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think Google would ever do it. MSN will stay with the PPC model. But they may do it with their unique naming system that is due out with IE 7 I thinks. Exit RealNames, replace with Microsoft.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

ABW Ambassador
    My take is that they probably do better in advertising income than they would if they played the normal affiliate game and with their advertising, they dont have the risks associated with parasites! They know they are going to get their money.

I advertise with google and I know what percentage of my income goes away to them.

It's much more than I like thats for sure. I'm not the only person advertising so you have to figure that affiliates overall are getting double and tripple dipped collectively (the consumer's don't just click on one link).

I willing to bet that their EPC is much greater than it would be if they were acting as an affiliate. So while some other companies like MS may get into it at some level and maybe a big one, I sure don't think the search engines will.

Have you seen the rates they SE charge on all this advertising? I recal a post abount hurting the spammers by going to overture, doing a search on "bulk email" and just going down the list and clicking on thier links. You can make overture $100 bucks in no time at all (I wondered if this person owned their stock - LOL)

If any search engine I advertise with became a player in the market their is no way I'd try to compete against them and would immediately yank my advertising. However, I'm sure some would continue. I see some places where some affiliates advertise and I just have to laugh.

Worried yes - but not from the SE's!

I have IE 5.5, and it doesn't do it. Sounds like you better check your registry.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnniebry:
    I don't think the merchants would go for that. They get free traffic from people finding them in the search engines. If the search engines do what you said, the merchants would be paying commissions on every search.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly right. And what will the merchants do? They will pay, because they have to. We are past the critical mass for search engines. They now control the traffic on the net. You think Ebay is big? dominant?

Yahoo and Google are just as big, even bigger. The difference is that they haven't figured out how to make it pay... until now.

Look at the little sites that try to compete with ebay.. they get lost in the wind. And what chance will new search engines have?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Porter- AffTrack:
    AffJustice,

On second thought you might want to check to see if you have installed any sort of "internet naming" system. These systems allow redirection through a 3rd party using keywords.

I do not see this happening with my version of IE 6.0

-wayne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pure 5.5. What does yours do? There are settings that you can change. I believe mine are the default settings.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnniebry:
    What i meant is don't the merchants have to approve the search engines to be affiliates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. And if they said "no" to Google, how long would it be for Google to remove their sites from the index, and utter the phrase, "okay, who wants to be next?"

ABW Ambassador
    That's my point if Google started removing merchants like that, Google will go the way of Looksmart. People want relevant results when they do a search. If that ever happened, all the merchants would have to do is get together and say we aren't paying commissions on SE traffic and that would make the search engine useless. No relevant results. I think they will stay with the PPC ads on the side. That way they can make money and still have relevant results when someone does a search.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Porter- AffTrack:
    I don't think Google would ever do it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, what do you base that belief on? Do you personally know the CEO and CFO of Google from your college days?

(sorry, I don't mean to be so sarcastic...)

But what I know is that Yahoo and Google are struggling financially. And that they control half of the internet traffic between them. And that just like "California, the rest will follow" it's only a matter of time before one of them sees the potential.

When microsoft does it, how long do you think it'll take for the rest to wake up?

ABW Ambassador
    If that ever happened, all the merchants would have to do is get together and say we aren't paying commissions on SE traffic and that would make the search engine useless. No relevant results. I think they will stay with the PPC ads on the side. That way they can make money and still have relevant results when someone does a search.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? We affiliates can't join together to eliminate parasiteware can we? We can make some noise and maybe get the attention of the media, but you think these merchants will "join" together to "force" the SE to accept them? For every one that does that, there are 1000 other businesses in their field that would be clamoring to get on the first page of the results.

Right now, merchants are getting a totally free ride from the SE. Meanwhile the SEs are paying salaries, buying the hardware and footing the bandwidth bill. What Amendment in the US constitution gives the merchants a "right" to be in the SE in the first place?

Outside of discrimination, any SE can block any site it deems so.

ABW Ambassador
    If a search engine started dropping merchants like you suggest their results would not be relevant. There are other search engines ready to move it. If Google started doing that, AllTheWeb/Fast would step in. I think merchants would get together because paying commissions on SE traffic would become very expensive. Getting together would save all the merchants money. Then what would the search engine do? Not carry any of them? No one would use that search engine if they did that. They make good money with all the PPC they are doing now. Altavista just started doing it. Relevant results with the main search with paid ads in the column is the way to go. People look for an unbiased search engine with good results. What you're suggesting, Looksmart is already doing and who uses them?

ABW Ambassador
    People want relevant results when they do a search.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I challenge that statement. I don't see googles results any more relevent than AV or Hotbot. Personally I thought Infoseek was the best SE before disney messsed it up completely.

People use google cause it's a nice easy to remember word, it's a plain white page w/no banners. I use AV (Altavista.com) just as much as google (cause I can type av.com) and get just as good results.

And why do so many people use goto? I don't care that they call themselve overture. Do you see people running away from goto because they are paid results? Just the opposite, I believe they were growing (up intil they did the unthinkabe: change the domain from goto.com to overture.com)

And now who is to say anyone would know they are paid results. If goto removed the $ next to each paragraph, the user would never know. Yes, you and I would know, but that's different. We are plugged into the net in a way different from most users.

Oh yea, last thing.... the results would not have to change one bit. What google would do is simply, IF the result had a affiliate program, google would grab it's code and submit it into the link. The results would be the exact same results, just now if you bought from one that had an AF program, google get a cut.

Mark my words.... it will happen.

AffJus I agree one thousand percent.

It's only a matter of time.

As for the logic of thought that google is interested in "relevant results", that's BS. Any company is interested in only one thing and that is profits. Google would be doing itself a favor by owning all of their search engine results. They could offer much more accurate results than the rest of us can while making themselves a ton of profit.

This industry will have a very short future as a business we are familiar with presently. The peon marketers will be squashed soon.

ABW Ambassador
    Of course they are interested in relevant results. That's why they tweaked the algo to get rid of the 'go to hell' irrelevant results. Ask yourself what search engine you use and why. Its the results you get. That's why they are the biggest because they are regarded as having the most relevant results around. Thats why the mess with the algo every month to insure that. Ask Jeeves used to be pretty popular and now to get in you have to pay. Try doing some searches with them and see what you get. They used to be pretty decent and now they are not. Thats why AOL picked Google and i quote "which offers a selection of listings ranked by relevancy and other factors" "The tens of millions worldwide who use America Online's online services and Web-based brands will now benefit from the extreme accuracy and rapid return of our high-quality, relevant search results"

Relevant search results is what make Google the biggest. Thats what people want.

It may only be a matter of time before they try. But, they will fail.

Search engines appear to be highly replaceable. Remember it was only about two years ago that almost no one had heard of Google.

They do that and merchants won't pay. They will just go to the next upstart search engine and Google will go the way of Overture...a search engine that was a must have two years ago isn't even worth discussing today.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They will just go to the next upstart search engine and Google will go the way of Overture...a search engine that was a must have two years ago isn't even worth discussing today. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having not been involved very heavily with Overture I was just wondering WHY there is so much back-lash when someone mentions Overture. For instance, I see many state them as Oversure but I don't know why.

Could someone let the cat outta the bag and toss me a few tidbits and insight please? Is Overture garbage and, if so, what besides the obvious Google do you use?

They would have done it already if it were profitable.

What they have now is this: A user clicks on an ADWORDS link, google gets paid. Why would they want to trade this in for payment only if a merchant sells something? Why would they want to get into the commission game when they make guaranteed money?

People do not go to google because the "name is easy to remember". People go there because the results are the best. Just like Altavista of the past. People went there because they were the best. When that was no longer true, people stopped using them.

makin' money

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread