How Search-Engine Rules Cause Sites to Go Missing
    This is an interesting article for anyone wondering why their site suddenly vanished on Google.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20070411.html

"Google's Mr. Cutts says the search engine should ultimately understand what is going on when a site changes its Web address. He says the best strategy is to move one section of the site to the new address and see what happens before switching the whole thing."
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The system sucks, but those of us strugling for visibility in Google, Yahoo, etc., should have little sympathy for an outfit that can blindly pay $$$$$1Mil for a new domain without realizing the ramifications of such a changeover.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; March 16th, 2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: typo
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

301 redirecting important ranking pages may help. It won't help the whole site though.

Ceri

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Thanks for passing the read along Leeann. More of the same challenges, but I am amazed that a $1m domain name purchase was made by someone who did not realize the G ramifications ahead of time. Perhaps they'd have been better off to stick with the .net while they built a new brand for the .com?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Man when the G does not like it can kill you - literally. Thanks for the read it was a great article.

David

Yeah, dumb move. THey should've just kept .net and redirected the .com to the .net.
    If they get enough articles about this story, the inbound links for them may push them back up...

Interesting read, but I'm not sure I agree with this comment
    It's just that [Google] didn't set out to wield this level of influence over the Net.
    "This level of influence" is how Google pays its bills (and shareholders...).
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Here is a silly question
    Why would they not simply redirect all traffic from topix.com to topic.net ?

So, any type-in traffic from topix.com would lead to topix.net .
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Why would they not simply redirect all traffic from topix.com to topic.net ?

So, any type-in traffic from topix.com would lead to topix.net .
    It seems like they think that routing traffic to the .com tld would somehow generate greater credibility. That said, I don't agree with them, and I would definitely also route traffic to the already established domain (from .com to .net).
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread