Affiliate Manager
    RSS generation
    RSS is trivial to generate, and I have some tools to help with that here. I've considered adding RSS generation to WebMerge, but the hardest part isn't technical as much as learning how folks would want to use such a feature.

Would you like to publish an RSS feed at your site?
    If so, what would you like it to include, products, articles, both, something else?
    Publishing a complete product list with RSS would likely result in a feed no one would want to read. How would you like to select which products/pages get included in the feed?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

would be great if you could generate rss feeds per category

Affiliate Manager
    Do you mean feeds in which each contains all products in a given category?

With some product lists that could make for a very long feed.
    Richard Gaskin

for instance the last 10 items, every time new items are added for a category, they also are added to the feed

or a feed that refreshed every x days and adds a random item from the category

Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    RSS is trivial to generate, and I have some tools to help with that here. I've considered adding RSS generation to WebMerge, but the hardest part isn't technical as much as learning how folks would want to use such a feature.

If so, what would you like it to include, products, articles, both, something else?
    Publishing a complete product list with RSS would likely result in a feed no one would want to read. How would you like to select which products/pages get included in the feed?
    If it's that easy to do it with WebMerge......

How about been able to at least just get these three RSS feeds from SAS to start?

http://www.shareasale.com/dealdatabase.xml

http://www.shareasale.com/offlinenotice.xml

http://www.shareasale.com/newprograms.xml

And then later, we can then see about what to do with the products datafeed.

We might just need a 10 or 5 products RSS display, or maybe just a small datafeed of the top selling products, from any big datafeed.

If I can just get a WebMerge RSS tool, to display just those three .xml feeds for now, I will not no more about when WM V2.5 or WM V3.0 will come out.

ABW Ambassador
    Richard, how about articles related to each category? I'm not sure how would RSS feed work with WM. But it will be great if I can have articles published with RSS feed subject to different categories.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    If I can just get a WebMerge RSS tool, to display just those three .xml feeds for now, I will not no more about when WM V2.5 or WM V3.0 will come out.
    I'd certainly look forward to that <g>, but RSS generation and display are two different issues.

RSS generation is by far the simpler task, and the focus of this thread.

Displaying RSS is a bit more complex, mostly because WebMerge generates static web pages while RSS is inherently dynamic, with some RSS feeds updated every hour.

So if we decide to pursue display of RSS in WebMerge-generated pages, how will those pages show the latest feed?

Traditionally that sort of thing is done by dynamic server-side solutions, and we're also making tools to address those sorts of sites down the road.

But for the short term my main interest right now is in learning about how people want to generate and publish RSS feeds.
    Richard Gaskin

but RSS generation and display are two different issues.
    I knew that!

I thought that when you said publish an RSS, you was talking about displaying an RSS.

Displaying RSS is a bit more complex, mostly because WebMerge generates static web pages while RSS is inherently dynamic, with some RSS feeds updated every hour.
    I thought you was already talking about making a dynamic WM plug-in.

Traditionally that sort of thing is done by dynamic server-side solutions, and we're also making tools to address those sorts of sites down the road.
    I know that they can be done by dynamic server-side solutions, after I learned some PHP, I am already doing some of that.

But I guess I will then have to wait, until one of these days down the road, WM make any of those tools available, and compatible with static and dynamic WM generated pages.

http and a telephoto
    I would like to be able to have per category feeds that limit to number of products or have selectable products to display. That way if there are multiple listings because of additional sizes I could select one of each to display.

I would also like to be able to decide which fields display, or be able to truncate long description fields.

But just being able to display top 5 or top 10 in a category would be a huge help. I am assuming I would need to put the data online in a mysql database for the rss to pull from?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    I'd certainly look forward to that <g>, but RSS generation and display are two different issues.

So if we decide to pursue display of RSS in WebMerge-generated pages, how will those pages show the latest feed?

But for the short term my main interest right now is in learning about how people want to generate and publish RSS feeds.
    would be happy with the feeds, so people can add them to their readers and for aggregators, they don't need to be displayed on the static WM pages

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I thought that when you said publish an RSS, you was talking about displaying an RSS.

I thought you was already talking about making a dynamic WM plug-in.
    Sorry for the confusion. We have a pair of engineers working on the server version, but that's still a ways down the road.

In the meantime I'm hoping to knock off RSS generation for those who need it.
    Richard Gaskin

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread