Online Marketing Consultant
    Naked Linking SEO, What Do U Think???
    Sooo on a private call I was on, even though the news was spilled out, another one of the networks will be offering links directly to the merchant's sites. Ok this is going to help boost the merchants Rankings in SEs as far as Backlinks go. It will also help the affiliates out in certain ways by not having to cloak a link themselves.

Anyways, the questions I have are:

1. if the links are going to the merchants and not the network, would that begin hurting the networks SEO?

2. if it does boost up the backlinks and rankings in the merchants results, then the merchants have the links back to the networks, by the merchants geting higher PR etc.... would that help the networks rankings even higher?

3. If the link goes to the merchant then also signals the network to add the tracking, would that essentially help boost both the merchant and the network?

4. Now that you have a naked link, could you technically submit it to some engines and have it optimize therefore you have become a parasite to the merchant by submitting your naked link with affiliate code on it and that becoming the link that shows up?

5. Am I way over thinking this and need to go sit in the corner? LOL

I was just curious to see what everyone thinks and think this could end up being a good fun short discussion.

One thing to keep in mind is that sites don't have rankings. Pages do. And merchant.com/page.html is a different page than merchant.com/page.html?aff=1234. There's really no SEO benefit to that.

Calling it Naked Linking is a bit of a misnomer. That implies that you link directly without an affiliate code in the link. If you're referring to HouseLinks at Performics, there is an affiliate code in the link. I would consider it more like eBay Rover Links than Naked Links.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

heheh ok thanks
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    ;-) I think Michael has it right!!! We offer the same thing to our managed merchants if they would like it. It's simple and we don't really view it as taking away from our own SEO efforts. It's another value-add for our clients who are trying to improve their rankings as much as possible.
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Adam, do a search here for "naked links" - you'll find lots of stuff
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Saw the title to this thread and was a little worried.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Adam, do a search here for "naked links" - you'll find lots of stuff
    Rex, I think those folks covered up their nekkid selves and hi-tailed it out of here with all their "discussions" faster than a kid mooning out of a car window would run from the Highway Patrol on the Hollywood Freeway.

Question: What do I think?

Answer, the short one: Merchants and their affiliates are partners in their business arrangement, but they are competitors for rankings in the SERPs. I say if you want to help your competitors rank above you in the search engines, go for it - but don't expect to receive the Mother Theresa Affiliate of the Year Award

I think anyone who does it is NUTS.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm in agreement with that short answer. There'll be no free SEO coming from MY sites!

So besides just being able to show a direct link like it is not an affiliate link, there is essentially no other benefits for affiliates? That is pretty much what I had thought. It also esentially makes spamming a heck of a lot easier as well. This could definitely be negative for the merchant as well.

Thanks for the tip Rexanne, I did do some reading but still was just thinking about this. It seems like a lot of the networks are working towards this and mechants like it for obvious reasons and the networks can use it to attract new merchants easier, but it seems like there are only a few small benefits to the affiliates. Now it also seems like there are a few dangers for merchants too. Anyways, thank you everyone for your responses.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

No, it'll still be obvious that it's an affiliate link. You'll have some sort of parameter "affid=1234" in the link. But instead of linking to the network and redirecting to the merchant, you'll link directly to the merchant. The major benefit there is that your links will work even if the network is blocked through Norton, the hosts file, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread