What do you like better? Ugly or Attractive?
    Do you prefer ugly banners that draw your eye to their hidiousity or really, professionally designed creatives that wow? Why? Do you think different niches react differently to good vs. ugly creative?

I preffer nice banners in a CPM situation, Ugly banners ina CPC situation.

Those flashing ugly banners get a lot of clicks atleast for me.

So long as the message is clear, whether a banner is attractive or not should not be an issue, except insofar as it may impact the overall look of the page it is placed on, which is also beside the point

I think the blinking ones are annoying too, but they do draw the clicks, so I don't mind using them now and then if they're not TOO loud.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like professional, but it has to be eye-catching. Banners are easy to miss as it is, and are no place for the "understated" style sometimes mistaken for professionality.

I don't mind the blinking ones too much, or any of that stuff really known for getting web designers' panties in a wad. Loud is not the same thing as ugly.

On the other hand, there's one set of banners I've found too hideous for words, much less for actually using. The ones for Mr. Ink Man (at CJ) have got to be THE UGLIEST, most awful banners I have EVER seen! I think they're the only ones that surpassed even my limit...I won't use 'em.
    (ABW's software censors the CJ URL, so I can't just post one as an example.)

There's others that I don't like, but will use anyway, albiet without enthusiasm:
    These include the really newb-looking ones, especially those that use really offbeat color schemes that clash like heck with typical American site colors. Plain block print on either a blah or weird pastel background = blech.

Also blech are the ones I've seen with pixelated images or fonts, and those that have been severely resized out of proportion with the original version (either stretched or mushed).

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    On the other hand, there's one set of banners I've found too hideous for words, much less for actually using. The ones for Mr. Ink Man (at CJ) have got to be THE UGLIEST, most awful banners I have EVER seen! I think they're the only ones that surpassed even my limit...I won't use 'em.
    Out of curiosity, I went to go check out those banners for myself, Leader. Next time, I'll just take your word for it.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Network Rep
    For as long as the message is clear and vivid, whether a banner is attractive or not should not be an issue, except in so far as it may impact the overall look of the page it is placed on, which is also beside the point

Hmm I do find myself clicking on ugly banners with GREAT TAGLINES/HEADLINES! However, I think attractive banners usually do the job pretty well because it shows professionalism and that tells alot about a company. I'm a strong believer of great copywriting as effective advertising though...

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The quality of the banner doesn't seem to be as important as the number of banners that are on the page where the banner appears.

If it is a page loaded from floor to ceiling with continuous banners, they all blend into a wall paper pattern, and the only person who generally notices that the banner is there is the person who put it there.

If the page is laid out so it is not overloaded with banners, ugly can be effective.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I do prefer a nice, elegant banner over an ugly flashy one, but at the end of the day, I prefer text most of all! They are the ones that convert better than any pretty or ugly banner could.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    In our experience, a well designed Banner work well for our merchants. It also adds a certain level of marketing credibility to the product or service they're offering.

I do have to agree with Alan, too many banners on a site can kill a marketing campaign. Its so obvious, that a consumer will ignore it altoghter.
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I preffer nice banners in a CPM situation, Ugly banners ina CPC situation.

Those flashing ugly banners get a lot of clicks atleast for me.

I agree. Those lowermybills dancing cowboys are, unfortunately, effective for CTR.

Nice banners that still catch your eye are the way to go for branding. Maybe because they seem like content on the page rather than spamy advertising?

ABW Ambassador
    Personally, I don't really like banners at all. I don't really see much point in them. I only ever use them to add colour to a page that looks a little dull.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    Personally, I don't really like banners at all. I don't really see much point in them. I only ever use them to add colour to a page that looks a little dull.
    I don't like them either. Only good quality images of the products on a page to dress the page up. I do use some of the smaller 120x60 in the left or right border of the page.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    And of course, as some of us are aware, Video Banners will soon be a preferred method.
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    I tend to agree. I think text links work a lot better for sales, but since Welshie asked about banners, I gave my opinions based around that.

They do provide color and are great in that respect, because they require 0 graphics skills from me to liven up the page.

But another thing is, a banner can help set the right mood. Kind of like going into a physical store that has a big sign on the front of the building. So on all my sites, I either have my own logo or the merchant's banner--but there's going to be *something* at the top of the page that gives the psychological message that this is a place to do shopping from.

On my more recent sites, it's my own logo up there on top instead of a banner, but on older ones it's the merchant banner.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by nLoBushwack
    I agree. Those lowermybills dancing cowboys are, unfortunately, effective for CTR.
    Yeah, those are weird banners but it's working for them.
    if you notice, those lowermybills banners are Flash and interactive banners

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread