DIRECTV Slimed Me
    I signed up with DIRECTV satellite TV on 3/09/2007 thinking that I had picked a $39.99 plan. Yesterday I got the bill for their CHOICE plan and it was $49.99. It will be $39.99 for 12 months after I apply for a $10.00 discount.

The sales rep and the web site led me to believe that the base plan was $39.99 and the discount would bring it down to $29.99 for 12 months. Of course I missed the light grey (#FEFEFE light gray) text at the bottom of their web offer. The sales person did nothing to clarify my misconception. Nothing was said like: " Your first month bill will be $49.99".

The install went smooth since I was moving from Dish, and the papers I signed for a 12 months commitment for the free install didn't mention the price.

I went from being real satisfied to feeling slimed after getting that bill. The phone reps are real nice in saying "Too bad chump".

DTV did the same thing to me a while back. We were supposed to get a HD receiver with DVR for free, but you guessed it, the first months bill came and it was over 600 dollars. They of course sent me a rebate application. SO I filled it out subtacted the amount of the DVR from my bill and sent in my payment with the rebate form.

A week later I got a notice that my account was past due. I called the support line and the lady told me that the rebate was only good after the third month of programming and that I would have to remit payment or they were going to submit a collections claim against me.

I told her that she was to cancel my contract and send her crew back to take the dish down and pick up the DVR. She was rude and hung up. Long story short I actually ended up having to get an attorney involved and then finally they stopped harrassing me.

DirecTV is a bunch of malevolent crooks looking for prey. Never sign anyhting with these guys. They are total scum.

David

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe next time you'll read what you agreed to. I went through the motions of that offer and it says you'll be charged $49.99.

They do need to clearly indicate that the $39.99 rate is after rebate (on the first screen), but they do make it very clear what you will be charged before you complete the transaction.

but they do make it very clear what you will be charged before you complete the transaction.
    I did the deal by phone and it was clearly deceptive. The support lady today said she was going to make a note to sales so they would change their tactics, but too late for me.

did you get the 110 dollar affiliate comish

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I did the deal by phone and it was clearly deceptive. The support lady today said she was going to make a note to sales so they would change their tactics, but too late for me.
    You can try to cancel it and if they refuse then file a dispute with your credit card.

did you get the 110 dollar affiliate comish
    They rejected me because one of my sites listed at CJ was unrelated. I emailed them and asked why would all my sites be related to TV? They said to reapply and promise to put my links only on related sites. You have to wait forever for the commission so I said no thanks. Now I'm glad I hadn't signed with them.

I jut signed up yesterday and was approved fast.

Do they pay commish every 3 months or something?

Commissions will post 30 days from the date of activation. Since activation dates vary, DIRECTV pays publisher commissions approximately 45 - 60 days from the activation date within CJ.
    I was going to write a glowing recommendation, but can't do that right now.

I used to worked for Directv and i bailed out immediately because i dont like the way they deal market their product. Customer Service admittedly is good to above average. The problem is with their marketing strategies and deceiving promotions.

Recently, they are even starting to sign up sporting events to be their exlusive. They have got NFL and now they are on the verge of a deal with MLB. This is bad for majority of tv viewers who dont have Directv. Its a very selfish move to buyout coverage and offer it to limited group of people. Blackouts by itself sucks already and now they are getting into exclusive coverage.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldmarva
    They have got NFL and now they are on the verge of a deal with MLB. This is bad for majority of tv viewers who dont have Directv. Its a very selfish move to buyout coverage and offer it to limited group of people. Blackouts by itself sucks already and now they are getting into exclusive coverage.
    Its a done deal with MLB:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Unless the FCC does something:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2775761
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Maybe there is still hope for MLB:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Id try and contact their "Public Relations" or "Legal" Dept (if they have one). I imagine if you talked to the right person they can just void your deal. The loss of a single account is not going to phase them. The problem is with complaining about this type of thing is that the people you usually end up speaking to on the phone about it are there to usually give nothing but the same-o same-o answers that they just gave the guy who called before you.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread