Does this Work?
    I want to use a straight url to promote a merchant in CJ.

Can I just chop out this bit, and will that work?
    http://www.***********/click-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx" target="_top

Also, if I want to run that through a tracker/cloaker, specifically - PowerLinkGenerator, will the link still work

Tony

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    NO!

In order to get paid, CJ has to be able to track your sales. They need that bit you're wanting to get rid of. It's the guts of a CJ tracking link.

All the stuff with the funny URL and numbers tells them what is going on, and who should be paid for it.

A dissection of the meaning of the stuff in that part:
    "www.someweirdURL.com (CJ tracking/cookie-setting server, that MUST get wind of any actions you cause, or no commission happens!)/click (doesn't really just track clicks!)-XXXXX(Your PID, tells them that you get the commish)-XXXXXX(The ad ID, tells them which merchant's sales can trigger your commissions [as well as just which link of the merchant's was clicked])"

So, that part's all very essential to CJ tracking.

The
    target="top" bit
    just affects the opening of new windows.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Brewster,

You have just seen an immediate benefit to joining ABW courtesy of Leader!!

Might be good to introduce yourself, let us know a bit about what you do and then go from there. Welcome to ABW!

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Hold on is that right? Because the part right after that is img source.

http :// www. ***********/ click-xxxxxxx- xxxxxxxx" target="_top text im g src = h t t p: // www. *********** /image-22222-222222

I know Performics text links are setup basically what he posted in post 1.

Ah, he asking if he could chop out the first part. You need the first part, what you posted in post 1.

I don't think you need the img part. As far as I know, all thats required is:

h ttp://www.kqjwhatever/click-numbers-numbers

Apologies, my original post included the full code from the cj aff link. but it just showed up as a non resolving pic.

Alan, not sure what you are referring to? I arrived here via a google search for - modify comission junction link - without quotes (for which there are no results)

I spent a happy hour reviewing all 16 pages of the cj javalink thread, then did a search on this forum for the same term.

My quandy is - I'm setting up a directory type site, which runs some css/php trickery in the background.

I'm manually adding links, via an administator interface which requests the url of the affiliate site, then links it to an image.

I know I should, but I really can't be arsed to learn that stuff, I can competently bugger about with html, but then I wasn't really interested in learning that either.

So my question is simple, can I chop the cj link as above (minus the stray ") and have it work effectively?

As for background, 3 years online, made a ridiculous amount of money from adsense about a year in, which quickly died, spent a costly year trying to revive a phenonama (sp?) and am only now beginning to resist buying stuff, and realising what business models work.

Anyway, if someone could give me a definitive answer to, can I just chop the bits out between the quotes, and have my aff id tracked?, I'd be grateful

Tony

ABW Ambassador
    what ReallyBigGuy just posted

h ttp://www.kqjwhatever/click-numbers-numbers

You posted:

http: // www. ***********/click-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx

You don't need the target or top part. Some CJ links come with that, some don't. But to be sure, click on them, see if they show up in the reports and you might want to do a test purchase. Few bucks for piece of mind.

Hey thanks, I guess a test purchase is the only real answer, I'll try that.

Tony

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for the image part and the (target="top"), you don't need that. You'll get whacky conversion-ratio stats, but no merchant with their sense on is going to turn down sales based on that when they're coming from a legit source.

But you need the click and commission tracking part, which is the part I talked about.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread