Since getting a P.C at home my wife wanted to make her own web page. So after using one of the free web space places (angelfire I think) I bought a domain (Raven's Home) and it is now hosted at the Web Centre where I work.
    Can any one help me with getting the site noticed by search engines? I know it would mean a lot to hr if she could type in ravensplace on google and see her site listed.

Well put simply, you need inbound links and the easiest way to do this is submit to the appropriate category in the Open Directory.

The second easiest is to sign some guestbooks (but don't put your real email addy in them!), This will help the site get indexed and give it better Google PageRank.

Меня зовут Динаму

Hi Roger! I stopped by her site, she is off to a great start!

If she is looking to just have some fun on the web, why not have her join "The Site Fights"? I have been involved with them for several years and it is a lot of fun. The individual teams have a group email where we chat, have guestbook parties, etc... If she enjoys it and gets involved there will be lots of sites to trade links with.

http://www.thesitefights.com

Let me know if she joins and I'll stop by to sign her guestbook!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.

Now that's something I didn't know.. Google has a whole category for Web Fights.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    roger_zee, dont do what Dynamoo suggest about signing guestbooks. If you sign guestbooks for the sole purpose of advertising your site, thats spam.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

You might want to consider www.selfpromotion.com. When I was first starting out I found it an easy, cheap way to get listed.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing
    "Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you sign guestbooks for the sole purpose of advertising your site, thats spam <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a non-commercial site. There would be nothing untoward about entering listings in guestbooks and such.

Just because my domain is open to the public, does not make its contents public domain! ~ Ice

ABW Ambassador
    commerical, non-commerical its spam.

ABW Ambassador
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Just because my domain is open to the public, does not make its contents public domain! ~ Ice

Well, all a guestbook is is a bunch of spam. Their sole purpose is to say "Hey, I've seen your site now come to mine." Just make sure that if you stick to only the guestbooks and don't flood over into the rhelm of forums such as ABW.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't listen to these people telling you to spam guestbooks. Some people who have guestbooks or message boards don't take kindly to people promoting their sites. Some don't care but i know in some instances where the owner of the site has reported people who do this to their ISP. For instance me, back in the early days when i didn't know anything. Concentrate on getting link exchanges. Link exchanges from sites in DMOZ is the best way to go, Google likes those better.

Johnniebry, a while back this subject was brought up at the "other" Google forum. I have been signing guestbooks and having guestbook parties for fellow site fighters for at least 2 years now.

Everyone at the other forum was all against signing books, saying it would hurt you. I asked "Google Guy" himself and explained my situation. He didn't seem to have a problem with it.

There is a big difference in just Spamming a book to get your URL out there and a group of friends having guestbook parties for each other. And apparently, Google recognizes that as well.

Furthermore, my PR 7 site has NEVER suffered from it.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.

thanks there are many intresting points being made. The last thing I want to do is rub people up the wrong way so we will give the guest book issue a wide berth.The other halfs site is just a fun thing at the moment but she has lots of ideas she wants to try. The site fight looks like it could be fun thanks Vicki, Ihave also looked at The Open Directory from Dynamoo but have had some problms registering with them.Thanks again one and all

I have tried to submit the Other Halfs site to The Open Directory from both home and at work but I always get the following message

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Submit a Site to the Open Directory

Sorry, we could not determine your IP address for this submission. This may be because your browser or ISP has cached the previous page. Your submission has been redirected to the misplacd submissions folder. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Please go back in your browser and resubmit the form.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread