More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    IPOWERWEB Just Won't Let Go!
    Everytime I cancel an IPowerweb hosting account, I keep getting emails stating that they will renew, even though I have worked this out with their renewals dept. I tell them don't renew, and I get an email stating my account will automatically renew. This has happened 3 times now with one domain!

It is very annoying and makes me want to cancel every account I have with them. Do all hosting companies operate this way?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager
    I have had a horrible experince with these guys too. i dont recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Do all hosting companies operate this way?
    I can assure you all hosting companies do not operate this way. I'm not sure what billing system they use, but for example on our billing system once we set a hosting package to "cancelled" it will not renew. Maybe it's a tactic to play dumb and keep you on the hook for another year? Not very good business practice if that's the case.

The same thing happened to me with ipowerweb and just to be sure that they won't automatically renew after I have cancelled, I would go to the credit card screen and update my credit card to 9999999999999999. Their form doesn't check for good numbers.

I moved everything away from them for this reason plus downtime and poor support.

I have tested quite a number of web hosting companies and it's a fact that it's hard to find good hosts with good support. Perhaps it's the nature of the business as a whole. Hosting plans are cheap, as little as a few bucks / month, and it's a business with high level of support and expectations and good tech people are expensive. As a whole, that's my theory why it's hard to find cheap hosting with good support.

I find ThePlanet reasonable (pricing and support).

Time to get a good junk mail filter - I have the same problem with MSN games - theres no way to cancel with them.

After recently losing my wallet I got new credit cards issued. I updated the CC info for services I wanted to keep and the ones that are a pain to cancel didn't get anything. Now I can ignore them when they try to contact me.
    ~Ernie

I had a terrible terribly experience with iPower the other month. 12 hours of downtime, no explanation. They issued me a refund...we'll see if it is actually for the right amount once it goes through.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Stuff happens in any business. But good customer service includes empowering a human to step in and fix things quickly and politely. Life is too short to cause others unnecessary aggravation.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Dot5Hosting is now giving me an even worse experience. I am told by "chat support" to contact sales (I already contacted accounts) and give the reason why I am canceling, as if I need to petition for the right to cancel! Nobody is yet to respond to my multiple requests. I changed CC number to 0000000 with an expiration date in 2006.

GRRRRRRRR
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Another thing to be sure to do if you have the "free" domain registration, is to be sure to get it transferred before cancelling. It's worth the annual registration fee to have complete control of the domain in case of emergency.

I will say that ipowerweb always provided the information needed when requested, it just takes a few days and some aggravation to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    Another thing to be sure to do if you have the "free" domain registration, is to be sure to get it transferred before cancelling. It's worth the annual registration fee to have complete control of the domain in case of emergency.
    I stopped getting free domain registration a while back even before I realized how much frustration it would save me. Registering at a separate location where you have complete control of the nameservers is the only way to go.

And registering with someone other than your host also allows you to switch quickly if you need to. And always have your site content backed up in at least one place, more if you're paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    The same thing happened to me with ipowerweb and just to be sure that they won't automatically renew after I have cancelled, I would go to the credit card screen and update my credit card to 9999999999999999. Their form doesn't check for good numbers.

I moved everything away from them for this reason plus downtime and poor support.
    Yeah I had to do this too.! It took 3 years however

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    ...Do all hosting companies operate this way?
    Not the reputable ones. Basically, you get what you pay for.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I just got my "refund" from ipower, and it was half of what it was supposed to be. Looks like I've gotta spend an hour on the phone during my lunch break AGAIN!!!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I think I'm gonna open up a new hosting business, and call it worsthost.com. I see that the domain is actually taken, but it's parked, and if it cost a lot to get it, I could always make it up by overcharging the customers. Anyone who ever visits the site would get auto-signed up for our 20-year special (sorry, no refunds for early dropouts). We won't just take your credit card number; we'll take the card itself. The affiliate program will feature generous commissions...from the affiliates to us, that is, for the privilege.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread