I just saw a "New!" button in my Google toolbar. When I move the mouse over it, the help popup says "Your Google Toolbar has updated itself! Find out what's new (and get rid of this button)..." What alarmed me is that Google toolbar updated itself without first asking me.

When I clicked on the "New!" button I was brought to http://toolbar.google.com/dc/aboutdc.html -- essentially Google wants to donate my idle CPU time. They say that the first project that CPU's will work on is "a non-profit research project at Stanford University that is trying to understand the structure of proteins so they can develop better treatments for a number of illnesses."

FAQ are available at the following page:
    http://toolbar.google.com/dc/faq_dc.html#faqs

What concerns me is the following: "In the future, Google may donate your computing time to other worthwhile endeavors, as well as use this distributed computer network to improve Google and its services." (emphasis added) Helping non-profit causes is one thing, but why does Google want our CPU time to help improve Google itself?

Is anyone going to activate this feature?

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Very interesting, I just turned it on. While doing that I also finally realized that they have a "vote for this page" feature.

I wonder how much difference this feature makes on a persons rank.

Secret group anybody??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Which IE version are you folks using? I don't get that on mine...

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

I have had that activated for several months now.
    I Have it running with Seti@home as well.
    Never had a problem with it, and never had it try to auto update itself either.

Let no one outwork me today.
    Unless there is a REALLY good thread on ABW!

ABW Ambassador
    I had installed both the Google and Alexa Toolbar. After reading this message, I looked up and noticed that the two toolbars are in the process having a battle on my desk top. Different pieces of the Alexa toolbar have made stategic strikes against the Google Toolbar.

Meanwhile, my Netscape, Opera and IE browsers all seem to keep having wars about who gets to respond to what file type. Opera is the only one that really behaves in civilized manner. I think I need to load Gator, Comet Cursor, a Kletz virus or two, and maybe my computer will come to life.

Missoula - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    On the very left of the toolbar where it says Google there is a drop down menu. If you click toolbar options, under page information there is a box you can check that says voting buttons. It has a happy and a sad face where you can vote on pages: vote for this page or vote against this page. Never tried it

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

My Google bar has not updated itself, but that may be the answer to what was trying to "call out" early this week. I did an Adaware deepscan, still got a security alert from NIS, bought Aluria, scanned, nothing found. I wonder if it was Google?

I never checked that little drop down list, thanks. The advanced features include a kill to onUnload Javascript command (exit ad killer), and when I right clicked in my browser to see what was in the menu, it includes a "get Alexa data" link.

That could be due to some files not totally cleard by Adaware last night on my botched installation attempt (I will sacrifice the 98 machine with no real info on it to the parasite cause, but I just can't bring myself to install Alexa on my XP Pro work machine). Does everyone have that in their right click browser menu?

There is also an Alexa "write a review" option there.

LOL, yintercept.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ABW Ambassador
    B*ll*x to that!

If they want my CPU cycles they can PAY for them!

(My CPU can't even ride a bike anyways) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-----------
    JoKe-ZoNe
    -----------

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heyder said:
    I wonder how much difference this feature makes on a persons rank.
    -----------------------

Oh, Lord, Heyder, don't give them any ideas, lololol. What kinda privacy do I give up for a PR8? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

ABW Ambassador
    Is the information offered by the Googlebar readily available/obtainable at Google.com WITHOUT having to install the toolbar?

What is the number one reason for installation?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclone:
    What is the number one reason for installation?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I initially installed it to have easy access to my PageRanks. Mostly now, though, I just use it for always accessible searching. It's "Highlight" feature is useful too, especially on mile-long pages where only a portion might be related to the terms I search on.

My toolbar hasn't updated either, so maybe Google's only selectively including the "distributed computing" thing as a test to see how people react before pushing it widespread.

If it helps or matters I'm using IE 6.0.2800 and Toolbar 1.1.63.

Brian
    The Charity Network

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Brian said, only I've got IE 5.5.

Plus I like to smile on my pages. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Not that I've noticed any difference but all it takes is a click to register how good they are...

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have 1.1.63 running on IE 6. I put the smiley and sad faces up but I seldom remember to use them!

Hidden away are some interesting options like "Suppress the onUnload JavaScript event" which will help to supress popup storms.

Also the Google Toolbar is pretty clear about privacy and stuff like that.. I much prefer it over Alexa in terms of functionality too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Меня зовут Динаму

I feel that if Google wants my computer to work for them to raise their own prestige or money or whatever they will need to send me a contract and a check...until then, I have uninstalled the google toolbar...if I want to search google I'll just type in google and do it on site.

nitewing

[http://www.starlightastrology.com/weblounge.htm/]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webmistress:
    The advanced features include a kill to onUnload Javascript command (exit ad killer)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is anyone else worried about this? This is reason alone for me to stop using Google altogether...if they support this, they don't care about you or your money. Coupled with the use of your idle CPU time, Google is using you, and you are essentially paying them to improve their business and hurt yours (if you use popups on exit).

BUH BYE Google!

...I guess this is a better reason to get the new script for my own SE site...

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

ABW Ambassador
    I wonder what the future holds for all this??

Personally I've been giving my "spare" cpu resources off 5 computers to Seti for free for many years. But how about this:

Have spare CPU Cycles on several high end PCs. Will trade for page ranking position. Inquire within.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'm not willing to "give" my spare cpu cycles to google, but I'm willing to trade them for a few bumps in my page rank! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

ABW Ambassador
    now there's an idea worth considering!

Wanna race? - online drag racing.

read googles mission statement.
    ----------------------
    Google's mission:
    Organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.

http://www.google.com/jobs/great-people-needed.html
    ----------------------

anyone want to help google take over the entire web??????

not me.

Just staying listed with a decent rank is hard enough....

nitewing

[http://www.starlightastrology.com/weblounge.htm/]

This is really interesting.
    I don't mind donating idle CPU time to some worthy causes, but how can I be sure what really it will be used for...

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread