How many programs per page?
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a newbie question here. Of course I am a newbie, so all my questions are newbie......

I have been reading, studing, taking notes ect ect.

I have decided on my niche have the domain name and site ready to make.

Working on the copy now.

By my understanding you do not put affiliate links on the home page. Right or wrong???

Also about how many different affliate programs do you include per page? Or is there even a rule of thumb here?

Any help would be appreciated.
    LindaLS

Welcome to ABW, Linda!!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaLS
    By my understanding you do not put affiliate links on the home page. Right or wrong???
    Wrong. There is nothing wrong about having affiliate links on your home page. In fact, it may often be one of your best money-making strategies... What made you think it is not the best way to do things?

Quote Originally Posted by LindaLS
    Also about how many different affliate programs do you include per page? Or is there even a rule of thumb here?
    I'd say: as many as are relevant and not eye-irritating.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    I have affiliate links on all my home pages. They do very well there!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    There is no right or wrong answer.

It depends on your site. If you are a coupon site, or a deal site, you want to have affiliate links on your main page but please do it with taste. Meaning no flashing banners or a bad layout/format.

As for the # of merchants on a page, it depends.
    if you are doing a price comparison for a product, you can list those merchants.
    If you have a generic site selling nuts and bolts, list one or 2 merchants that converts well and make sure they are selling nuts n bolts. Don't put a hotel company link on a nuts and bolts review page.

Welcome

Time to jump in....
    Thank you for your help. I will apply your wisdom. Hopefully I have enough information to get my site up and running today.
    Must not let my lack of confidence, stop me.
    Thanks
    Linda

For your home page, but also for inside pages, remember to keep a good balance of content to links. Search engines like good content pages and don't mind a few well-matched links on those pages.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I think you would be more successful having ONE merchant for each type of product line.

Having several confuses and dilutes the impact to the customer of what your offerring.

Said another way it looks like the website is not an authoritive source for their shopping needs.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    I think you would be more successful having ONE merchant for each type of product line.

Having several confuses and dilutes the impact to the customer of what your offerring.
    I agree! Unless you're a comparison site, pick a merchant and go with it. Don't give your viewers reasons to be on the fence.

As for the front page, it all depends on if your traffic usually comes in that way or not.

I think merchants who want front-page links from me are absolutely nuts because usually my traffic is *not* coming in that way, and probably won't even see something on there.

Others may get lots of front page traffic, and for them that'll be a good place to put ads.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What Leader said
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'd still suggest the possibility of more than one program's links on a page, if it makes sense on that page - that is, if two programs that don't overlap both relate to the page's content, I'd think that was okay.

ABW Ambassador
    Homepage affiliate links? It's one thing with an older, established site, one that's got very good inbound linkage - either (or some with both) can have a bit more leeway, with a "trust" profile that's already established with the engines. For newer sites, ones starting out or ones without strong IBLs? Different story.

It's up to the individual what they personally decide to do, but I personally will never, ever, ever put affiliate links on a homepage again. Not even with older sites (not affiliate sites) that Google's loved for years - it just will NOT happen.

Many different programs have pros and cons based on the content you have. Also, you may have a particular merchant in one program or another thats directly related to you.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread