Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    eComXpo
    Anyone else signed up for this expo. It's the first one I have been too, but so far it has been a good time, much easier than going to a real conference and walking around. If you haven't seen or heard about it is running through Thursday the 22nd. Check it out from eComXpo.

Affiliate Manager
    It's pretty cool how well setup the whole thing is. Not sure it beats actually walking up and checking out a stand or presentation in person but they got it as close as I would have thought possible.

Obviously there's loads here to keep me quiet... but the University element of the ecomxpo is worth checking out. There are a hundred or so presentations that can be viewed over the next couple of months. I've checked out a few already today and there's some good stuff in there.

Not that it could beat ABW of course...

http and a telephoto
    I have always been a big eComXpo supporter, but this time I am pretty disappointed. I haven't checked out the presentations, but the booths are largely unmanned, which is a shame. If you are going to spend the money on a booth, have manpower there. Especially if you are a sponsor.

The lounge was a busy place today, mostly CPA networks and media buyers looking for folks.

Maybe twice a year is too much? Or companies need training on how to get value from their investment in being there? It's like building a site and not promoting it.... you bought a space, expect people to come by and then...... what? Nothing...

It seems more and more companies are buying space on sites and at expos and conferences without knowing what the heck to do once they are there.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    For those that have booths. Are you finding people coming to meet and learn or just to sign up for the contests and such? Tracking how many people are stopping by, up or down from past events? I know it's still day 1, it just seems not as big or not as talked about compared to past ones.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    2nd time there.

As Deb mentioned, lots of booths are unmanned.
    Wish I have some time to go to the ecomxpo lounge

I attended one a while ago, and it wasn't great. I got a card in the mail this time, but don't really feel like I need to go. There's only just so much time in the day, and I prefer to peruse here and try new things on my own.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    For those that have booths. Are you finding people coming to meet and learn or just to sign up for the contests and such? Tracking how many people are stopping by, up or down from past events? I know it's still day 1, it just seems not as big or not as talked about compared to past ones.
    I can tell you from the people I talked to today (I don't have a booth this time) that they went and entered all the prize drawings, and PLANNED to talk to some specific people, even started chats that the other people never joined, and couldn't talk to others because no one was around.

So they are just getting "leads" from the prize drawings, and they are unqualified leads because no one was around to vet them. And they are missing out on real discussions with people that went there to find them.

From the volume I saw, number of visitors is WAY down.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    "From the volume I saw, number of visitors is WAY down."

Yeah, it's probably peaked already. I checked it out for the first time last time, not going this time.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    From the volume I saw, number of visitors is WAY down.
    Definately true. I did meet a few ABWer but it's far from what I met last year. Maybe that will pick up tomorrow..

http and a telephoto
    lol Haiko... I agree.... no way I can say this one is better at all... same, worse.. not better....

Good idea, poor implementation... going south....
    Deborah Carney

Virtual trade shows don't seem to be the same. The convience aspect is great, but still, it's not the same.

It's like this -

in person communication is three dimensional: body language, voice tone, actual words.

phone communication is two dimensional: voice tone, actual words

e-communication (email, chat, etc.) is really justlimited to words

There's little trust that can be established between two parties to consider a virtual trade show a success.

I wouldn't say it's going south, rather that it has not gone anywhere!

After five 'shows' that's just pathetic. They [Grosshandler et co.] obviously have enough AMs drinking the cool aid to market it and thusly make it viable but the follow through technologically and response to feedback wise is nothing short of stale and lethargic. It leaves a taste of it being nothing more than an overly hyped up chat with some power point and flash. I expected much more growth and technological innovations, I am VERY disappointed.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I went there today and wasn't too impressed with the presentations except for a couple compared to the previous years but some tomorrow look like they might be interesting. This is my third year and liked the two previous years better. Think Brook is speaking about something tomorrow and there's some panel I think, too.

Not sure why but the live chat wasn't working for me in the morning. I did get to exchange the cards with some people though, chat back and forth and live chat with one of my affiliate managers in the afternoon. So I liked that cos I don't usually get a chance to do that.A couple were attending for the first time I think.

Do enter for the prizes but more importantly I've been able to visit the search engines and get their credits. Definitely like that.

Can't help it...I love any opportunity I get to learn anything at all so love these events.

Umm Eric ...check your email there lol think I popped in and said Hi to ya when you weren't there I'm a speedy little critter though...if ya blink you might miss me if you are there. lol After I visit all the booths, I'll slow down.

eComXpo
    This is my 2nd eComXpo, and it seems like the morning of the first day always has some hiccups. I found that people would come into our booth and appear to be "stuck" there for a while. Also the chat client was horribly messed up and didn't really work in real time. That said, I made some good connections today, but I'm still relatively new to the industry so maybe that helps. It was especially great to see Loxly and Billy K in the lounge. I had the most fun hanging out in there and talking to you kids!

I know the show has its issues and problems, but I still see value in it as a merchant/network. Hopefully, the rest of the conference goes better!

Feel free to say hi to me if you see me around!
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

Thumbs down
    royal pain in the butt this time as I had to constantly change my browser zoom level to even read the tabs on the pages.

I think I got through about half the places before the server there barfed and cut me off.

and yes, 80% unmanned a few hours ago. maybe even 90%.

Have never gone, never plan to. I prefer in person gatherings. The Coronas just taste better that way.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I expected much more growth and technological innovations, I am VERY disappointed.
    I agree totally. GoToMeeting webinars have more value at this point in time. When the first xpo happened the flash presentations were unique. Now audio and video is everywhere. eComXpo should be growing the tech back end past where they are. I can chat with the people I chatted with today right here at the ABW chat, without tech issues.

I expected there to be more "live" interaction by now, with better support for Macs and FireFox. They are stuck at the technology they started with instead of getting in front of the pack. Booths should be loaded with interactive stuff, presentations should be really live, with live q & a. With technology like Skype available there should be live voice chats happening.

Connie, virtual beers can be fun too, but there has to be someone to drink them with

I'll stop ranting now.
    Deborah Carney

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I was pleasantly surprised with our first booth but will reserve my recommendation until i see if we recruit any affiliates. I did meet several affiliate or hybrids and several mentioned ABW. Having spent half a dozen years doing tradeshows you have to man and approach people. It took the morning to figure out how they system worked and then we were off and running.

Percentage-wise I would say that it was the same mix as an affiliate summit.
    CPA Networks
    Merchants
    Vendors
    Affiliates
    Other

I was there for a while, some interesting stuff but like others, found quite a few booths empty or unresponsive. I also had some trouble with links missing at several booths. Saw loxly in the lounge and then I got that got stuck. Eventually all froze and I exited and went back in to find all was working. Of course then it was dinner time lol. I'll be popping in again today.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    In a word it sucked I hope that's not too strong, but to sit there with a chat window open waiting an undetermined amout of time is bad.

Also it doesn't say who in the booth isn't busy, so if you pick a person to talk to and there busy, there may very well be others that are free, no way to tell.

I hit the booths I was interested in and sent V-cards.

Done.

I have to agree, there is not much excitement there this year. Somehow I found it difficult to finally find the list of merchants. Only a few show up on the initial showroom floor image. Once I did find them, I did not see any that tripped my trigger and, yes, there were a lot of ones with no one there. Same thing yesterday morning.

I had considered getting a booth, talked to the guy who runs it when I was out at Affiliate Summit, but glad I did not this time around. It was much more active last time, so I'll reserve judgement and say that maybe this was just a bad week for it. Who knows.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    ecomexpo trade show review
    I agree with the thread that the booths need to be better represented, but its still a tool to build the affiliate community online.

Plus I'm keeping my finger crossed to win an ipod or something....
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    Yeah, it seems like everyone should win something with as many offers as there are. I know I won't win anything because I have terrible luck. But just for $hit$ and Giggles I entered every one of them.

I have made some connections there. But I am still so new to the industry and I have only been to Affiliate Summit once, that anything of this type excites me.

So I am going back to see who else I might run into.

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    So this would be a bad time to say I won the first - and so far only - prize

If the booths are unmanned - just do what I do...

Watch my name constantly scroll across the bottom of the page next to the word WINNER

lololol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast