ABW Ambassador
    Watch those Links in Emails...
    I never trust merchant links that are sent in emails unless I'm familiar with the merchant and know they will always have my affiliate ID included so will look closely to see if they include my ID. As for the ones where you have a little link saying "Get Html" below the promotion then I always thought they would have my Affiliate ID included since they are taken from the CJ interface, WRONG! I just got an email from a merchant, I went to get the HTML and No affiliate ID but instead just the number "1"

Here is a link to the page I was given so you can all see the proof of this

What is worrying now is I wonder how many links I thought were genuine in the past but were also fraudulent like this one?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I never trust the mailed links because mail clients can strip/change code. Even if you know yours doesn't when it arrives, you don't know what was used to send it to you in the first place.

I only get links from the interface and those get reworked and tested.

ABW Ambassador
    Mack, I just want to clarify that this isn't an actual email link but it is a link from the CJ interface that is sent by email to retrieve.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    the merchant replied back with this:

I took the code from CJ and usually I send it directly, but here I copy pasted it on my html editor and then copy-pasted back onto CJ. The tracking must have had disappeared in between ...
    I asked them to post what happened in here so since they have not I will ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    I never trust the mailed links because mail clients can strip/change code. Even if you know yours doesn't when it arrives, you don't know what was used to send it to you in the first place.

I only get links from the interface and those get reworked and tested.
    I don't trust links by mail.
    I regard such e-mails as notices of current promotions -- if I'm interested in the current promotion I'll go to the "create links interface" on the network the merchant is located and I will retrieve the links myself

If I go to the network interface and can't find the duplicate promotions, I will e-mail (via e-mail or the network "mail system") and ask the rep why the promotions are not on the network interface.
    Last edited by Rhia7; March 21st, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    hi Rhia, it would be fine if you only have a few merchants to deal with but when you have many then the links by email can save a lot of time. I just wish the merchants could show some consideration for us and make sure the tacking codes and links are all correct instead of just slapping them up & hoping for the best.

makesyou wonder if there isa bug in the cj interface.

To my knowledge, they've been using the "1" PID as a placeholder for quite some time. It is possible for merchants to embed the publisher's real PID now, so I can't tell why anyone would still use the 1. Do realize that when going to that link with the "1" in it, CJ does have the following warning on the page:
    Code:
    The following link code is not valid and is for preview purposes only.

Hi there,

I'm Florie from lastminute.com and I'm the one who sent the email about Mother's Day that mentioned Glinted.

I think I understood what happened and you shouldn't see the same problem in my future emails (our last newsletter about theme parks was fine for example)

When we send a newsletter through CJ, we can add links or banners. We just drop the banner and the link appears in the html as {1031545} for the link 1031545 for example. When you actually send the newsletter, the code {1031545} is replaced by the banner with the link "get html" below and the affiliate's tracking embedded in it.

The thing is that CJ's interface isn't easy to use so I copy-pasted the code that appeared when I sent myself a test email and amended it on my html editor. {1031545} was then replaced by a much more complicated code and I guess that the pid=1 was where the individual pid of each affiliate would appear.

I'm not sure it's very clear....

Anyway, now I prepare the html on my editor and I add the banners at the last moment through with CJ's code {1031454} and I don't edit it afterwards.

I'm very sorry for that and I will make sure that such a problem will never happen again

Best regards,

Florie

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread