ABW Ambassador
    Is it spam to run around to different sites guestbooks, the main purpose being to put a link to your site.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

ABW Ambassador
    It depends.
    Is it my site that's above yours in Google? If so, then it's not classed as spam.

Tick

ABW Ambassador
    Me, i think its spam.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

Some sites' guestbooks ask for your URL in their form. Yeah, I'll type it in.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Check the site's policies - if they have no problems with URL's included with posts and the post is relevant then it's not spam.

If you're just posting crap all over the place to show your URL somewhere, then it's no different than usenet spam.

I think this topic stems from some of the replies given to the topic I started <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Other Halfs Site<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.So I would just like to say the last thing we want to do is rub people up the wrong way so we will give the guest book signing a wide berth.The other halfs site is just a fun thing and she has lots of ideas she wants to try so maybe one day it will be just too good to miss [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] who knows?

ABW Ambassador
    It's spam to put an ad in a guestbook. It is also spam just to run around and find guestbooks to sign. Notice how there are fewer and fewer and fewer sites with guestbooks. They are all voting that, yes, it is spam. They vote by removing the guestbook.

My guestbooks now have delete buttons; so I can delete ads. If you do sign a guestbook with a URL, at least have a nice link for the guestbook owner to visit. When you leave a URL to popup hell, the owner of the site will just remove the guestbook, while cursing your name.

Missoula - Short Stories

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some sites' guestbooks ask for your URL in their form.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's that simple. If there's a field for a url then fill it in and if the it states somewhere on the guestbook before signing that they forbid urls then don't.

In my early days I used to have a guestbook on a site of mine and I had a url field and it I actually used to visit some of the sites that were listed in them.

Here I was thinking that guestbooks were a thing of the past?

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Website Tools | Webmaster Software

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread