LS terminating inactive affiliates?
    Just got this email:

Dear LinkShare Client:

We would like to take this opportunity to clarify one or more emails that you received from LinkShare earlier this month regarding terminated affiliates. In an effort to improve the quality and efficiency of the Network, LinkShare is working on an initiative to eliminate affiliate accounts that have been dormant for many years. Specifically, we are targeting affiliate accounts that have had no log-on activity for over two years, and have generated no clicks or transactions during that entire period.

While planning for this initiative, we identified a number of accounts based on the established criteria. These inactive accounts were inadvertently terminated prior to the scheduled removal date. The premature removal of these accounts triggered a notification email that incorrectly stated the accounts were being terminated due to "invalid activity." We caught this error, and are reinstating the accounts. None of these affiliate accounts were terminated due to "invalid activity," and the notification should not have been sent. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this miscommunication may have caused you.

Please be assured that your active affiliate partners remain active in the LinkShare Network without interruption of their privileges, and have not been affected adversely in any way by the temporary removal of the inactive accounts. Although the notification may have included the names of some affiliates that are active in your program, these names referred to accounts that were either duplicates or had been abandoned.

As we move forward with our initiative over the next few months, we will be communicating with you each step of the way. The purpose of this initiative is to improve Network performance, raise the quality of our service, enable easier identification of active affiliate partners, and, of course, to create the most productive performance based marketing platform. We are committed to the success of our partnership.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact your Account Services Team.

Best regards,

The LinkShare Team
    Seems LS is terminating accounts with no activity in the past two years. Is this just housekeeping? I wonder what happens if those inactive affiliates are owed money?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Just got this email:

Seems LS is terminating accounts with no activity in the past two years. Is this just housekeeping? I wonder what happens if those inactive affiliates are owed money?

In my humble opinion ............If someone hasn't collected their 2 year old money......Then they AIN'T gona get it......
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    "Specifically, we are targeting affiliate accounts that have had no log-on activity for over two years, and have generated no clicks or transactions during that entire period."

That's reasonable. That's a long time to not even login.

I anxiously await my email
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Seems irrelevant to me to, but just a heads up
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    I wish *all* online services/sites would delete my records after two years of me not logging on. Would make cyberspace a cleaner place. I can't imagine how many sites I've signed up for that I haven't used in the last two years...

That being said, I think it's very reasonable.

Michael

Yeah, I know I've signed up for affiliate networks and then never used them. If someone hasn't logged in for two years, then it only makes sense to delete their account.

I'm usually adamantly opposed to terminating inactive affiliates, but this seems very reasonable to me. Two years with no login, click, or transaction is certainly a sufficiently long threshold. It sounds like they're planning on giving notification and that they have the ability to reactivate accounts, too. If that's the case, I think this is certainly a good move.

Another difference is that this is with a network and not a merchant. With an individual merchant, I wouldn't recommend deleting an affiliate even after 2 years of inactivity. I know it's taken me longer than that to get around to listing some merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Under this circumstance I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

Cleanup is good. Maybe it will make things faster for the rest of us.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'm usually adamantly opposed to terminating inactive affiliates, but this seems very reasonable to me. Two years with no login, click, or transaction is certainly a sufficiently long threshold. It sounds like they're planning on giving notification and that they have the ability to reactivate accounts, too. If that's the case, I think this is certainly a good move.

Another difference is that this is with a network and not a merchant. With an individual merchant, I wouldn't recommend deleting an affiliate even after 2 years of inactivity. I know it's taken me longer than that to get around to listing some merchants.
    I agree 100%

I wonder if LS will now change the "with over 10 million e-commerce relationships" line.

Established in 1996, LinkShare Corporation is a leader in performance-based marketing solutions, having created the largest network of affiliates of any program provider, with over 10 million e-commerce relationships. LinkShare has over 500 clients including J.C. Penney, 1-800-Flowers.com, American Express, Avon Products and Dell. LinkShare has been named the New York area's fastest growing technology company for two years in a row on the Deloitte & Touche Fast 50 list.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    2 years.. more than reasonable. it's about time

I still never understand CJ's stand on terminating aff.
    6 months of no sale and you are out the door. Even with lots of click and you can open an account with the same email add.

Just to be the Devil's advocate:

Sometimes a network will do something to annoy the affiliate big time and the affiliate will turn his/her back on the network *unless* there is a particular merchant who "excites" the affiliate and gives the affiliate a reason to return.

That's happened to me (more than once).

There is even one network listed on ABW that I joined but have not logged into for quite a while (because of bs and I turned my back) -- I'm not saying which network it is -- one day soon I'll look through my blank book of passwords to hunt down/figure out my password.

A rep from that network wrote something I found interesting in an ABW thread -- hey, I'm busy with other things at the moment too -- but any day now I might return to that network and say "Your X wants you back..."

As long as I even have a loose affiliation with the network then there is the possibility of a pending deal and a pender is better than nothing.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I think if you have been inactive for 2 years they probably don't care if you come back.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I think if you have been inactive for 2 years they probably don't care if you come back.
    Really? A network would cut an affiliate off cold turkey just for the length of time for 2 years?

What if the network's operating system has improved greatly and includes new, strong, well converting merchants?

What if the affiliate's skills have improved during those 2 years? Suddenly the affiliate can do wonders with photoshop and can do other things that make that affiliate attractive? Would the network say, "we don't want someone with your great skills?"

Who is to judge what was going on in that affiliate's life during the 2 years?

Is it a monumental cost to include an affiliate on the roster??

The competing network is hoping that the other network will make the affiliate feel screwed so that the affiliate will hop over.

Go ahead, cut the affiliate. If the affiliate really wants to be part of a network, the affiliate will just apply again.

I wouldn't put an affiliate on "death row" merely because he/she didn't log in
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

They can't keep everyone forever. Like you said, if an affiliate decides they want to work with a network they can reapply.

ABW Ambassador
    What about merged accounts? They now have only one log-in.
    But if you're not using one or two of those, are they going to be dropped off from your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I wouldn't put an affiliate on "death row" merely because he/she didn't log in
    To use your analogy, 2 years is the time spent on death row. They just decided to carry out the executions.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    I still never understand CJ's stand on terminating aff.
    6 months of no sale and you are out the door. Even with lots of click and you can open an account with the same email add.
    There gain by this.

If an affiliate has earned some money before that time period, but has not reached the minimum payout level, then affiliates funds are confiscated to offset expenses of maintaining the affiliates account.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Of course I got this email as an merchant, not as an affiliate, so there are a lot of questions. Basically:

- can you reapply immediately?
    - will they try and activate you before they drop you?
    - will they pay any owed commissions? (even under the min payout level, which I think they should)
    - what about merged accounts?
    - can you "reactivate" your account or do you have to re-apply
    - will they even notify dropped affiliates?

If someone on ABW gets their execution notice please post it!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread