Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Kontera Anyone?
    I was contacted by Kontera to use their service on one of my sites. Two questions:

1. Is it as good as Adsense?
    2. Does Google Adsense allow it to be on the same page and/or site?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Not as good in targeting in my experience so i stopped using them

Then again, they do have less content to provide i guess

Im trying it out on my blog right now just started so Im waiting to see how it goes.

I signed up a few days ago, and yesterday was the first official "live" day.

Checked stats this morning (they're a day behind) and discovered I had 278 impressions that resulted in 27 clicks and $3.50 in revenue. That's a little more than what I normally get with Google ads a day, so I'm off to a happy start.

Obviously that's with not much traffic yet either, and I've placed their links on more sites since then so I hope to see it up around $5 - $10 a day.

Much easier to deal with than adsense as well. You just paste in the script tag at the end of your web page and it automatically finds and underlines relevant keywords. Then when visitors hover over the keyword they get a cool looking popup that they can click on to visit the merchant.

The next round of testing will include removing adsense to see if kontera revenue goes up, but I'll wait on that for a couple of weeks.

I have been with Kontera since February...so far I have only made 36.74. No were near what I make with Adsense and Text link ads

Why keep their links if you're not making any money?

Since Feb?? - dang, I'm betting you've been annoying a lot of visitors over the last 6 months with those double-underlined links all over the place. Maybe if you take them down you'll do even better with adsense or other forms of advertising on your sites.

If they aren't working, then I'd yank 'em.

http and a telephoto
    Kontera slows down page loading also. Joel Comm loves it. I yanked it from the sites I tested it on. No revenue, and yes, the double underlines are annoying and I am finding the "fly open" boxes are annoying when trying to scroll down a page and read.

Others of course have different results. Like with all merchants and forms of advertising, it all depends on YOUR site and YOUR traffic and what they are expecting and what they want to click on and whether the ads are truly relevant. I had a lot of really irrelevant ads showing up.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I tried them on a site for a limited time with average results. I didn't leave them on long since it was a tutorials site and the relevancy was just not there ('XML' would return a shopping site ad). However I didn't take very much "control" with their tags, which I could probably exclude certain sections of the pages and get more relevant ads to where I want them.

I may do some other testing albeit on other sites/pages. You can block advertisers, keywords, etc.I did learn through Joel Comm's session (which is where I also learned of Kontera) that there is a way to make the links single underline. But since it doesn't seem to be a publically broadcast tag, such as some Adsense tags, then I won't disclose it.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I took all my kontera off, I think the slow load times will seriously effect you getting repeat vistors. I know I never go back to a site that has that stuff on their and locks my computer up for 5 seconds whenever I am on a page with that on it.

Getting a user to hover over a link then click it seem like a waste as I would never click on it as a surfer. Nice people over at Kontera I have met with them a few times it just isnt for me.

It's not a page load time issue that slows things down, it's the time the script takes to run after the page has loaded that can be an issue on older systems. Most newer systems with a couple gigs of RAM don't even blink an eye.

But the loudest voice I listen to is the revenue voice, and second day revenue was $5.21 with 906 impressions and 50 clicks (after putting up Kontera links on a few more sites). That's beating Google for me anyway, although I did have a $4 Google day yesterday so it's not far off.

I realize these are still small numbers for many of you, but they're nice to see for someone like me who has only been doing affiliate marketing for about a year... and even nicer to see a consistent upward trend that I hope continues in the same direction (UP).

btw, I noticed this morning that Amazon has a Contextual Link program as well. I may try that out for comparison purposes. Anyone used them?

http and a telephoto
    And exactly how many of your site visitors even have more that 526 megs? Computers have only been selling with a gig recently and only have JUST started selling with more than 1. The majority of installed computers for the average consumer have 256-528 megs, not multiple gigs.

But hey, if you are converting, you have the right site for it
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Your comment got me thinking, instead of assuming (which is always a better option).

I did some trial and error to determine which site(s) were drawing in all the clicks, because with Kontera they don't break it down for you by site. I got lucky on the first shot based on my hunch of which site was converting, and sure enough - after removing Kontera links from all of the other sites I continued to get the same click through rate and resulting commissions that I was for the first few days.

No need to clutter a site unnecessarily with ad links if nobody is clicking on them, which is a good indication that they're not finding value in the ads.

I've put Kontera on my blog and content site. As of this post, they're doing a bit better than AdSense has for me. They also take up no extra space.

Targeting with them and AdSense is about the same from what I've seen. I still have no long term numbers for them, but they've done OK so far.

ABW Ambassador
    Part of the problem with Kontera and IntelliTxt (is that their name, I forget?) is poor inventory.

For some reason, best known to themselves, both companies only go after advertisers with fairly large monthly budgets. The end result of this is that you see the same old ads over and over again.

Here in the UK, the IntelliTXT ads are almost always for Windows Live or Ask.

As a publisher, I would want a wide variety of relevant advertising - so until one or other company gets wise, I'm not going to be using them.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    As a publisher, I would want a wide variety of relevant advertising
    Hello,

I'm from Kontera and it's good to see such a vivid discussion. I wanted to correct you on one thing- Kontera deals with contextual in text advertisement. Our technology recognizes a word within a wider context and matches it to ads which are relevant. Also, we do a rotation within our ad base.
    If you have any questions, I'm here

Mika,
    Kontera Optimization Team

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have been using Kontera now for about 3 weeks as a supplement to my other contextual advertising. After 2 weeks earnings were so-so but still a nice addition. In the 3rd week, earnings started to improve greatly and without harming my other income.

My number of visits has not dropped and have not gotten complaints from visitors. All in all I am happy since I was getting very disgusted with my situation before using this service. I think one has to be in the system for at least 3 or 4 weeks to see optimal results - at least that is what the Kontera folks said and it seems to be true.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

thanks for posting that Cheesehead. I've been using them since July 30th, 2007 and had a few "ok" days ($3 - $5 a day) but also several bad days (less than a buck). All in all I've made $30 from Kontera in about 2 weeks, with about 20 clicks a day on average.

I'll hang in there a couple more weeks and see if the trends picks up.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Kontera is the same people who were behind Ezula TopText. New name. Same basic technology (hyperlinking of content on a web page) except publishers put the js code on their own sites instead of using adware.

Personally, I'm not planning on putting any of their js on any of my sites until they have a sustained track history of staying away from adware and such. Hasn't been long enough for me yet personally. And even then, I'd probably chose someone else who hadn't gone down the roads they did in the past. It was not a fun piece of software to get unwittingly installed on your computer.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ezula, it's been ages since I've seen that name.
    Weren't they the first pioneers of parasiteware?

I do remember thinking it'd be great if only they paid the publishers.

Do this tag have anything to do with it, or with anything similar?

<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Do this tag have anything to do with it, or with anything similar?

<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">

Yeah, similar--Before Ezula appeared, M$ was considering incorporating something like this into a version of IE (I think it actually was in a beta...either IE5 beta or IE6 beta, forgot which)! That tag was supposed to block its effects.

M$ didn't end up doing it in the production version, but then along came Ezula with a parasiteware that did basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Yeah, similar--Before Ezula appeared, M$ was considering incorporating something like this into a version of IE (I think it actually was in a beta...either IE5 beta or IE6 beta, forgot which)! That tag was supposed to block its effects.

M$ didn't end up doing it in the production version, but then along came Ezula with a parasiteware that did basically the same thing.
    I started adding that tag since 99' to about all my pages, but I didn't even remebered why.

So, I guess by now it would be safe to remove that tag from new pages, and when updating old one's too.

Thanks!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Here is my Kontera wishlist for the Kontera visitors

I started using Kontera a few days ago because my Adsense income has been decreasing (I was getting about $1/day and recently $.40/day) I don't make much in clicks since people really aren't shopping (Educational site).
    It took Kontera several weeks to approve my main site. I have been curious why the click-reporting is so slow compared to Google. It seems that Kontera doesn't let you know about clicks for at least 5 hours after the day is over.
    The first few days I had no clicks. I made a few cents on the 9th.
    I hope that it will work better after their system finishes reading my site correctly.
    Why does it really take 2 weeks when Google knows in a couple days?
    Couldn't Kontera offer an option that would look like a text link ad but paid per click?
    Could Kontera implement payment via PayPal?

Kontera In Text
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear it took so long for your approval to come in. We do our best to reply to all our publishers within 2-3 days. Recent changes we are undergoing for improvement had temporarily slowed things down and now approval time is fast again.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Couldn't Kontera offer an option that would look like a text link ad but paid per click?
    I'm not sure what you mean, our model is PPC

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Could Kontera implement payment via PayPal?
    You can pay using Paypal.

Sincerely,
    Mika
    Kontera Optimization Team

same results on my educational site too... only a few clicks/cents a day. The site just does NOT seem to convert on any approach I've taken though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast