Disaster Strikes...
    Last night, while recovering from flue-like symptoms I was poured a full glass of honey tea from my girlfriend while working on my laptop computer. Moments later, I turned and accidentally tipped over my glass - and watched in horror as the entire contents of it spilled into my laptop keyboard.

While some of you might chuckle at the idea of watching this happen, I'm curious if this king of thing has happened to anyone else before?

I DID manage to get everything working again after 12 hours - so GO DELL!

What worked for me was to unplug/disconnect everything right away and then use a hairblower to make sure everything is dry. I even took out my keyboard and rinsed it under the tap (although I'm sure there is much more scientific way to do this). I think you are also supposed to wait like 3 days for everything to try, but I'm not that patient....

So far so good - I'm writing this on the same laptop!
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

You are lucky. I remember being at CompUSA one day and hearing a parent tell that their college student spilled a can of pop on the keyboard. They told him it was fried and to buy a new one.

After hearing that, I purposely never leave any drinks near my laptop and make sure I close the lid to keep anyone esle from doing it.

Hmm, reminds me it is time to back up the hard drive....
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

A friend knocked over a Super Big Gulp and doused one of the 5 1/2" floppies to Pool of Radiance back in highschool. We sliced it open, washed the disk and put it in a different housing. Worked like a charm.

Okay, not very similar at all, but closest I got...

Good luck with the honey-scent laptop!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Never had that happen, but oooooh sounds pretty messy. Will try to remember not to keep any drinks near mine in the future. Hope you're feeling better.

It's possible! Saw this yesterday:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/w...n-your-laptop/

A video! Terrible music though...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Lesson learned? Girlfriends and laptops don't mix!

I had a buddy who left his on the floor. His mom was in town and didn't notice the sound of the monitor busting underneath her foot. While not near the same as spilling a drink, there definitely seems to be a certain risk with laptops that desktops are free from.

Makes me even more paranoid to let people near my machine...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Glad to hear it's still operational. Your post made me cringe thinking of how often I have come close to the same experience...
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Dell computers are awesome is all I can say. I spilled a glass of raspberry tea on the one I'm currently typing this on. I unplugged it and let it dry out and was in business.

At work we had a dell desktop that was waterlogged when a water pipe busted in the ceiling and ran for hours before anyone came in. When I picked up the machine water came out. We dried it out and it works just fine.

Go Dell!

You are lucky! I had a friend in college who threw up on his 3-day old Notebook during a lecture. It was his first CIS class too. Not only was he embarrassed, but he had to buy a new laptop. I guess it was karma for drinking the night before your first college class.

Okay, so this may be a bit of a different situation. About 3 years ago, I was sitting at home on my laptop. My foster dog that I had recently adopted had had her first litter of puppies. 9 of them .... s: Anyhow, the pups were like 4 or 5 weeks old and I let them socialize for a couple hours a day off and on because "mommy" didn't have quite the level of mommy instincts that she should have. So I would let one or two of them lay on my chest while I laid on the couch doing some stuff on my laptop. They would get up and mill around from time to time and usually site right back down.

Well one day, one got up and was milling around and went down to my laptop and stood on the keyboard staring at the screen. I thought "ahhhhh how cute" .................... then it squatted and peed on my keyboard ... lol it didn't work for a couple of days needless to say. At least the center of the keyboard didn't!!
    KK

Ouch.
    I had a friend in college who threw up on his 3-day old Notebook during a lecture.
    Wow. I guess you'd need more than pressurized air to clean that keyboard out...

Although, perhaps he could sell it to a spammer now. Form reflecting function?

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Hehe, reminds me of the time a cup of tea was spilled over a half million dollar recording console in a recording studio. Talk about panic stations! Luckily no damage as it was black tea with no sugar. Phew!

Oh, and was it me who spilled the tea? - Not tellin'!
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

ABW Ambassador
    My laptop has taken in two different 32oz glasses of water in its time, and it's survived both times. Took it apart as much as I could, blew it out, etc. Worked the next day both times.

BTW, you're not supposed to use a hairdryer since it can get too hot and melt plastic, etc. But I figure it's okay if you do it carefully. But officially you're not supposed to.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    I've had to use the hair dryer a few times on my desk top keyboard. Which is very different from using it on a notebook.

Kristin I'm still chuckling over your story!

Can't imagine the horror of when it first happened.

It almost happened to me once.

Just coming close to that type of disaster was horrific enough for me.

I bought an external hard drive for backup a few days later.
    Last edited by OICUAM2; March 23rd, 2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmarcy
    Last night, while recovering from flue-like symptoms I was poured a full glass of honey tea from my girlfriend while working on my laptop computer. Moments later, I turned and accidentally tipped over my glass - and watched in horror as the entire contents of it spilled into my laptop keyboard.

While some of you might chuckle at the idea of watching this happen, I'm curious if this king of thing has happened to anyone else before?

I DID manage to get everything working again after 12 hours - so GO DELL!

What worked for me was to unplug/disconnect everything right away and then use a hairblower to make sure everything is dry. I even took out my keyboard and rinsed it under the tap (although I'm sure there is much more scientific way to do this). I think you are also supposed to wait like 3 days for everything to try, but I'm not that patient....

So far so good - I'm writing this on the same laptop!
    , ....... .....

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Lesson learned? Girlfriends and laptops don't mix!
    While that was some of my first dirty mental images on my mind too , I will just going to reply with what I know about your Disaster post.

---------------------------

First,

I don't know exactly how much real honey may be on a full glass of honey tea, but if the honey tea contains real honey, you may have a more serious problem that if it was just a full glass of plain water, or regular tea or coffee.

Regular honey can become a real sticky issue later, even after (a few days, weeks, at any time later) you have rinsed the keyboard under the tap water a few seconds after the accident if you don't make sure that you remove all of the sugar-coated matter from the entire keyboard.

Second,

Even if all you did was to spill a full glass of plain water on the keyboard or any other kind electronic circuit board (even tho you did the first smart and logical thing and unplug/disconnect everything right away), unless you make sure that you really clean and dry that circuit board from any trace of H2o, it won't take long before you will start to have some kind of problems.

Water and electrical circuit don't mix, sooner or later, any humidity left by any water trace left on any circuit board will with no doubt, corrode and oxidate the printed circuit board.

It's true!

You should never use any hairblower or (hair drier) near any electronic circuit board or on any electronic equipment because the hot air can can get too hot and melt some plastic parts, or even melt the coating of some of the cooper wires that makes some electronics parts work. (Like coils, transformers, etc.) Unless you know what you're doing. (like some of us, in that field.)

One tip!

(I hate to admit to this but, nobody is perfect anyways)

Many, many years ago, I used to say that it was stupid to buy Canned Air, but as experience have show me through out the years, don't knock it until you try it!

Regardless of whatever happens to your present sugar-coated keyboard, just go to your near computer supply store when you have the time, and buy one of those Canned Air cans, keep it near by, and used it next time you get any matter (liquid or solid), on your keyboard or any other electronic gadget. (They cost less than $8.00, and are better and safer than using tap water, a hair drier, and even a vacum cleaner)

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Good ole Dell Computers. I always cringe when I hear that name: I'm probably the only one you will ever meet that sold Dell at 4 and a half. That's four dollars and fifty cents. Then I watched in horror as the stock rose to a hundred and split then rose to a hundred and split, then again and again, ouch. I kept calculating what my stock would have been worth had I not sold, and gave up somewhere's around 160K.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

solid state electronics will work after being dried, so long as nothing gets zapped when it's wet. After taking my laptop apart i was horrified to see the keyboard is little more than a coffee filter and offers not protection from a spill. One day manufactures will make laptops more resistant to spills ;-)

Personally I dropped an ipod in the river and after a few days drying time it lived to see the day when my wife sat on it......

Apparently many of us have bad luck with electronics. I still remember jogging on the beach in Aruba a few years back. I watched my first ipod magically leave my hands and fall in the light blue water.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but assuming contaminants carried in by the honey tea has been removed as quickly as possible, there is still the possibility that contaminants remain inside even though the tea/water has evaporated. As these contaminants remain, the circuits will begin to corrode. And a tiny amount of corrosion goes a long way towards disaster in miniaturized electronic equipment.

Unfortunately, it is human tendency when this happens to just let it dry out and hope that it will work later. And it often may, but probably only for a few days. Once the corrosion begins it is pretty much over. Buy another one.

Sorry to hear about your tragedy man. I spilled coffee on a laptop once. I feel your pain.

David

The hair-dryer thing... Most hair dryers have a switch/button that kills the heat, use that to avoid melting stuff. I'd be more worried about the rushing air causing static electricity to build up, so make sure the machine is grounded if you're going to do that.

For cleaning gunk off circuits use Isopropyl alcohol (with as little water content as you can find) and Lense Cloth (or similar lint free substance). You can pick this stuff up at any drug store, but computer supply shops should have the really good 99% alcohol stuff.

If you spill on your laptop, make sure you get the battery off as well as unplugging it. You want no electricity running through it while the cirtcuits are wet.

As soon as you get it up and running again, back it up (early and often), because your machine won't have much life left after a bad spill. There will always be some one who dropped the notebook in a swimming pool, and runs it for years after, but that is VERY not typical.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread