Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    CafePress Migrating to CJ
    Woke up to this....
    Hello,

About a year ago we launched the CafePress Affiliate Program. We saw it as a revolutionary program with benefits for Shopkeepers, Affiliates, and CafePress. As you know, the basic purpose of an affiliate program is to drive incremental external web traffic – and ultimately sales. Unfortunately this program did not meet that key objective, and a continued investment in a program that was not meeting this basic goal became difficult. Ultimately this program lacked ability to scale, build momentum, and ROI.

This led us to begin looking for a program that could meet the combined needs of our Shopkeeper and Affiliate partners, and CafePress. An external, third party affiliate network seemed an obvious choice, and Commission Junction matched all of our requirements. Our affiliate partners will be impressed by their unparalleled services, and Shopkeepers will benefit greatly by the exponential traffic, and ultimately revenue, delivered to the CafePress Marketplace.

We’re certain you’ll enjoy working with this best-in-breed affiliate industry leader. This program is scheduled to launch on April 10, 2007. To learn more about our migration to Commission Junction please join us for an invitation only chat on Monday, March 26 at 4pm PST. To RSVP and obtain more details on how to join the chat please contact affiliates@cafepress.com.

Sincerely,
    The CafePress Affiliate Team
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Will be interesting to see how affiliates react to this.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

If they don't change the commission doesn't matter to me. I can convert to product cafepress links to cj links without too much trouble.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Internet Cowboy
    Smart shopkeepers will not participate in their affiliate program any longer since adware programs will be targetting their sites and stuffing a cookie from now on. I am not a CP affiliate or shopkeeper with any volume to speak of, but if I were I would opt out of their affiliate program immediately before I share my earnings with parasites that do nothing to deserve the money they get.

If you notice they cancelled their forum as an integral part of the move, that does not echo open communication and availablity to resolve or assuge any trepidations in the transition. Moo might not have any problems switching links but many will. Cafepress has gone to shit since Lox left, I say sign up with Zazzle instead.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Cafepress has gone to shit since Lox left, I say sign up with Zazzle instead.
    SO TRUE!!! I could not agree more!!! Lox had that program dialed in, happy artists everywhere, affiliate pool growing and good things happening with excellent affiliate communication as well. Since then, it's specturdular.

One thing I am wondering about CJ move... CP sets referrer per session and holds that var... I'd love to be in the room / on the phone when CJ explains why they need to drop the session tag...

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The email we got didn't mention a date - anyone know how long we have to remove their links?

Lox introduced me to a lot of CP shopkeepers who are now my friends. What a shame I have to pull friend's links.

I think "moving" to a network is a bad idea, though there are certainly some good reasons to "add a network."

I can understand the decision to shift new affiliates to participate through a network (if the network is competent and provides services that reduce the in-house staff requirements), but I don't understand why the existing affiliate program can't be left up and running "as is" for the forseeable future.

If the current links are disabled at some point, CafePress will lose traffic (from sites that aren't updated with CJ links to replace the direct links), and of course CafePress would also lose search-engine recognition for all those inbound links.

Of course, I don't think that switching to CJ will represent any net reduction of in-house staffing requirements. The lack of datafeed access for small and midsize CJ affiliates may also be an issue.

As I've often mentioned, I don't participate in any affiliate programs through CJ or LS, so this change would exclude me completely (but I'm not an active CafePress affiliate and don't expect to become one).

Will TopicAds continue ??

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    None of the loyaltyware folks list them yet, wonder how long until CJ has them hoodwinked about how great they all are at producing "sales"...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    The email we got didn't mention a date - anyone know how long we have to remove their links?

Lox introduced me to a lot of CP shopkeepers who are now my friends. What a shame I have to pull friend's links.
    April 10 is D Day (Dooms Day for CP)

Same here about pulling lots of good people from my pages. CP had amazing potential. WTF is the move to CJ all about?!!! They certainly didn't NEED CJ! Now they've just gone and pissed off a lot of shop keepers and affiliates. I used to be a big fan of Cafe Press and they business model. Someone has steered them very wrong.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

The program was a tough convert anyhow, from an "outsider's" (meaning non artist) perspective. Although my traffic and click throughs were inflated because of the amount of shop keepers that were at my site.

That domain will be reworked very soon, as I'm not tangling with CJ.

Now if only I could get eBay to move out of there....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/affiliate/cjfaqs

Read the section on "reach".

This pretty much answers the questions that have been floating around the past 24 hours.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

Goes live on CJ on April 10th, inhouse stops tracking May 31st but the links won't break, just won't track.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

From the Cafe Press FAQs:

"# The Commission Junction network includes many of the largest Affiliates in the industry. Many of these Affiliates have hundreds of thousands of members that will now be exposed to the CafePress Marketplace.
    # Access to more qualified traffic through Affiliate promotions and loyalty programs."

They're gonna get exactly what they deserve.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Wasn't the current cp all in one - meaning if you were a shop owner, you were an affiliate as well so if someone came in and didn't buy from your store, you would still get money from any other sales that happened?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My worst fears confirmed. I did a little snooping and discovered that Shelby Ferrari-Breen, the affiliate manager they hired to replace Deb, is a former employee of MyPoints (when her name was Shelby Ferrari).

MyPoints® Internal Newsletter Issue No. 3· March, 2000:
    http://www.mymileageplus.com/PO/imag...m_march01.html.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    it's specturdular.
    May I have your permission to use that word on one of my sites? It's classic, never heard it until now.

BTW, because CJ is so expensive the commission rate will be dropped to 15%. cj has always been a rip-off as compared with the parasite free networks.
    Last edited by ojmoo; March 23rd, 2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Wanted to show additional contempt for cj
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Well, that sure cuts down on some of the work for a new site I am working on. Glad I haven't gotten that far, yet.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Well, that sure cuts down on some of the work for a new site I am working on. Glad I haven't gotten that far, yet.
    Sandra WHERE YOU BEEN?!!

Good to see ya, even if only to ***** about CP.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

More info on CafePress and the direction its affiliate program is likely going.

Jill Ambrose is the Chief Marketing Officer of CafePress. I don't think she's even been there a year yet.

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/abo....aspx#jambrose

"Most recently Ambrose was Vice President of Marketing and eCommerce at GiftCertificates.com and a key member of the executive team that led the company to profitability. Prior to GiftCertificates.com she served as VP, Consumer Products division for Corbis, a digital media company that pioneered print-on-demand technology in the print and poster category."

giftcertificates.com partners with parasites such as:

ebates -- http://www.ebates.com/stores/GiftCertificates.com.htm
    upromise -- http://shop.upromise.com/merchantinf...lmid=GIFTCE001

Draw your own conclusions about which direction Jill Ambrose and Selby Ferrari will take CafePress' affiliate program. I hope they change direction before it's too late and they lose all the professional affiliates who are NOT loyalty programs.

chetf wrote:
    Wasn't the current cp all in one - meaning if you were a shop owner, you were an affiliate as well so if someone came in and didn't buy from your store, you would still get money from any other sales that happened?
    Yes. All shopkeepers were automatically opted in to the affiliate program. You have to actually opt out if you don't want to participate but that means that CP will not drive sales to your shop through their marketplace. Sucks, huh?

Yes. The way it worked was that if a customer entered CP through your shop and didn't already have a cookie in place you would get a commission for any sales outside your own shop. (Entering through a shop actually set the cookie.) That's going away.

The 20% commission is going away. It will be lowered to 15% except for affiliates who generate $10K income per month. Can you guess who those affiliates will be? (I know you can.) However the shopkeeper will still have to kick in 20% of their markup to pay the affiliate. CP rationalizes this decision because...get this...CJ is so expensive! So they're making the shopkeepers foot the bill! It's outrageous.

There is nothing in this new deal that benefits the SK (shopkeeper) other than CP's contention that all the loyalty program members will drive new sales. New sales or overwritten sales that would have gone to a regular (non-loyalty) affiliate?

Lots to think about and none of it is good for the SK or the regular affiliates, IMHO.

This CP shopkeeper is so upset about the changes in the affiliate program that s/he made a design about it!

http://www.cafepress.com/grumpyaffiliate

What disconcerts me most as a shopkeeper and newbie affiliate about the move to CJ is... I've yet to see a comment anywhere saying something like "Good move" or "Wise choice."

As a beginner affiliate (I started learning about affiliating after CP began their program.) I've built a few niche sites around CP products with the idea to expand them with more CP products and other affiliate products.

With the time it's taken to get the sites up and begin to draw traffic my affiliate sales aren't much of a boost to CP yet. Plans were to try and grow the sites. What I'll do now I'm not sure. ????

I'm sure there are lots of other shopkeepers who set up (or were in the process of setting up) affiliate sites. What will all of them do now? How many will drop out of CP's affiliate program? If lots of small affiliates drop out, how much effect will that have on CP's sales?

Guess I'll have to wait and see how things shape up in the next week or two.

Kent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast