ABW Ambassador
    Barnes & Noble - 0 Return Days!
    Heads up to B&N affiliates who don't already know this.

Thanks for the alert.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    0 return days... not so noble, but definitely barnie like.

My favorite cookies belong to Oriental Trading and Terry's Village. I think they are about 20 minutes , hehe!

Better than girl scout cookies at my house. They last 10 seconds.

Snowman made a post about a week ago about a merchant with a 1 day cookie. I loved his response:

SNOWMAN: Thank you for the invitation; however, we no longer establish new relationships with merchants who offer unfair program terms. A 1 day cookie duration indicates that a merchant is simply looking for free advertising.
    Merchants with terms like these must think that we don't have alternatives.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    It's the same cookie they had a BeFree - didn't change

With all of the problems I read about the initial roll-out, I was waiting a few more days before signing on with them. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hello,

As Billy mentioned, the cookie duration is the same as it was at BeFree.

NEW additions:
    - Barnes & Noble.com is now paying 2% commission on PC & Video Games and Consoles
    - Commissions will now be paid monthly through Performics.

Here is the commission structure:
    - Books and Textbooks: 5% (eligible for quarterly bonuses)
    - Music: 5%
    - DVD/Videos: 5%
    - Calendars: 5%
    - Toys & Games: 5%
    - BookQuest Dealer Direct Program: 2.5%
    - PC & Video Games: 2% (NEW!)

The quarterly bonus structure will remain the same, but you will receive an automatic 2% bonus commission for all new book sales through Performics links from March 19, 2007 until March 31, 2007.

The BeFree program closes on 3/31/07. If you need assistance transferring your program, please contact BarnesandNobleATpublisher.performics.com.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
    Manager, Affiliate Customer Support

Quote Originally Posted by perfjamie
    Hello,

As Billy mentioned, the cookie duration is the same as it was at BeFree.
    Thanks for putting this first, it saved me from having to read the rest.

I hope that Performics will suggest to Barnes & Noble that they increase their return days. Most merchants offer 30-90 days. Sure, their main competitor only offers 1 day as well, but this is an area where Barnes & Noble could differentiate themselves.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

i am not greedy, but 3-7 days make a lot difference i think

ABW Ambassador
    EPC and Payout Rank
    Performics shows EPC and payout rank. It will be interesting to see how BN fares on those metrics. More importantly, it will be interesting to see if they feel compelled to compete on the global metrics.

My BeFree Metrics were: 187,238 impressions, 2,017 clicks and $11.29 in commissions. 2000 hits is not sufficient information to judge a site, but is was enough to make me lose interest in really promoting BN.

I wish the cookie duration was longer. I think increasing the cookie duration would be the best way to increase EPC. Short cookie durations only work with straight shopping comparison type sites when a person is at the screen with credit card in hand ready to buy. It does not fare well with content sites where you peak the customer's interest, but they don't actually buy into they are in a buying mood.

Anyone know how to subid the special barnes and noble links?

Do we still add &mid=billy to the end of the link?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hello,

Yes, that is correct. &mid= to the end of the link.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross

ABW Ambassador
    I checked performics today, and it looks like Barnes and Noble's first EPC numbers are in. They have have whopping 7 day EPC of $0.22.

If I did my math correct, it looks like you could make enough for one year of minimum wage salary with this program ... if you sent them the entire population of the state of Washington. That is assuming that there is absolutely no cost involved in sending them the entire population of the state of Washington. (It would take 6818182 clicks to make $15,000). Of course, I am not calculating in all of the back end taxes. If you actually hired some one to run a B&N affiliate program, you would probably also have to add in the state of Oregon to pay the taxes.

I've heard those in Washington like their books, and fast! So maybe someone out there has a shot with BN...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I sorted by epc, and one comes in below barnes...

Office Max is TWO CENTS

My EPC with Barnes & Noble over the past 7 years has averaged $18, almost 100 times the EPC shown in Performics. Just goes to show that network-wide EPC numbers can be misleading. I'm sure there are many affiliates who have a much higher EPC than me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    My EPC with Barnes & Noble over the past 7 years has averaged $18
    My EPC at Barnes and Noble at Befree was $.52. It is high because of "test purchases."

I think the lesson is that the 0 return days makes BN a bad choice for the vast majority of sites. If you recommend books, you ain't going to make squat as shoppers toss your recommendation in the cart, then buy after the cookie expiration.

Anyway, if you really have an $18.00 EPC pulling up the average, I guess your run of the mill site would have to give BN the entire population of California each year to make minimum wage.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hello,

EPC calculations are only reported on confirmed orders. Please see the explanation of the Barnes & Noble.com order confirmation process mentioned in their newsletter sent on 4/10/07:

"Payments are based on "confirmed" orders through Performics (vs. shipped sales through BeFree). An order is classified as confirmed 30 days after all items have shipped from our warehouse; in the meantime, it is classified as "pending." We have built this 30-day period into our process to cover our returns window; on the BeFree system, any returned orders led to a negative earned commission, but now a return made after an order is confirmed will no longer affect your earned revenue."

If you have questions about the Affiliate Network, please email us at BarnesandNobleATpublisher.performics.com.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross

+ Reply to Thread