Where to buy toshiba notebook?
    Hello there .
    I am looking to buy a brandnew toshiba or sony laptop.
    Could anyone recommend any good online store with good (read as C-H-E-A-P) prices?? Amazon doesn't count

I can't tell you where to buy it , but if you use ITUNES you should make sure whichever one you buy is compatible with it. There are a few Toshiba models that are not compatible with itunes ;(.

edit: You can search on the itunes support site to narrow down which of the notebooks do not work properly with itunes. Hopefully at this point is has been resolved with the newer models.
    Last edited by Anne; March 23rd, 2007 at 06:36 PM.

Buy from Toshiba or SonyStyle direct, but buy it from their U.S. storefronts, and get it shipped to you in the U.K. It'll be much cheaper than buying it in Britain, Mitty.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Buy from Toshiba or SonyStyle direct, but buy it from their U.S. storefronts, and get it shipped to you in the U.K. It'll be much cheaper than buying it in Britain, Mitty.

Geno
    Geno,thanks for advice. I live in Mississippi.Thats southern state of USA.
    I was thinking about amazon since circuitcity and amazon have the same prices with exception of amazon not charging shipping and sales tax to mississippi while circuitcity does.
    I even though of buying through my own ref link from amazon but i know they won't pay comission. for my own purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitty
    Geno,thanks for advice. I live in Mississippi.Thats southern state of USA.
    Oh, sorry... Somehow I thought you're in the UK.

Just my $0.02. If I had to choose between Sony and Toshiba for a laptop, I'd buy a Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Just my $0.02. If I had to choose between Sony and Toshiba for a laptop, I'd buy a Dell.

Dells are great, but I am still a Sony man. This poll was interesting, but having one with Dell in it too (and maybe HP and IBM) would be interesting...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Mitty
    Hello there .
    I am looking to buy a brandnew toshiba or sony laptop.
    Could anyone recommend any good online store with good (read as C-H-E-A-P) prices?? Amazon doesn't count
    There was a recent review done by one of our fellow ABW members on the Toshiba U205 http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=86297. The article even got noticed by Toshiba themselves, you "could" check it out and click on his Toshiba Direct link if you think the laptop is a good fit for you

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov

..... but I am still a Sony man. This poll
    Geno
    I take it you choose Sony eh?

I am leaning towards sony myself however i have a couple of friends swear by Toshiba.Good bang for a buck they say.
    Choices choices........

Toshiba VS Sony?

The toshiba has two massive problems. First of all, the place where you plug the power cord in, the hole is almost always bigger than the pin, so when you put the power cord in there is a very high risk of pin breakage for the power supply. The problem with this? The pin is ON THE MOTHERBOARD. What does this mean? If you break the power supply pin, you have to replace your motherboard. I have had two Toshiba laptops and replaced three motherboards over four years. I have a new Sony and the way the power cord goes in this one is AWESOME and if it breaks? I don't have to replace the motherboard, much better. Also the fan is on the bottom and Toshibas are known for chronic overheating because the fan can't get any air since it is under the computer.... huge pita. Anyway, I would not recommend a Toshiba. My Sony is only a month old though, so it will be some time before I can recommend a Sony. If you do buy a Toshiba, check to make sure the power pin is NOT In the motherboard to save you alot of grief and expense later if it breaks!

ABW Ambassador
    I got a Toshiba, never had a problem but I don't use it much. I got it because Connie said they were great, I hope she wasn't lying:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...94&postcount=7

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    When it comes to notebooks, I would say YMMV.
    HP: I have used a HP notebook in 2000-2003 and I did not baby it, works every time w/o fail.
    Dell: Bought a dell 2.8 notebook (w/ desktop processor), that thing came from Elm Street or what? Problem after problem the min I took it out from the box and I think I spent at least 24 hrs over 1 year with their IT on diff problems. Now, the HD kaput and I have used less than 30hrs on it. My friend bought a 600M when it first came out, same issue. Bios, LCD failure, keyboard failure, etc. YMMV but their desktop are solid.
    Sony/Toshiba: Never personally used it but they look nice.
    IBM: Using one now and they rock.

That being said, where can you buy them:
    Borrowed from fat wallet-

Sony VAIO N220E/B
    Pentium Dual-Core T2060,1.6GHz
    15.4" WXGA
    1GB RAM
    80GB, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, 802.11b/g
    Windows Vista Home Premium

-$200 MIR(Exp 04/14/2007)
    Final Price: $899.99 - $200 = $699.99 + Free Shipping + State tax may apply

Link
    Fry's Electronic aka www.outpost.com is selling this for 699 w/o rebate

Check out office depot, Bestbuy, Circuit city, Frys or compUSA as they have deals going on

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I got a Toshiba, never had a problem but I don't use it much. I got it because Connie said they were great, I hope she wasn't lying:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...94&postcount=7
    That is why I bought my first and second toshiba. Connie now has a Dell, haha! I am sure she loved her toshiba though.

Since someone pointed out my U205 Review check our my R400 Review
    http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/article...on=show&id=519

Thank you all for suggestions.
    I had two brands in mind Toshiba and Sony.
    Well,i ended up ordering toshiba from amazon.I shopped around and surprisingly the amazon beat everyone's price.They had 150$ rebate on mine.
    I got core 2 duo processor 2ghz ,2gb ram,200gb hdd,256 dedicated video ram and 17" screen.
    It came out to my budget limit as close as it gets ($1900+) so i though"this is it babe"
    I wouldn't be able to fit simmilar 'book from Sony in my budget so I am all excited hereI just have to wait till April 9th .

Thanks for replies folks.

Mitty

Howdy

Though would update on my machine.
    LOVE IT!
    Its super fast,quiet and keyboard feels good.It doesnt overheat although i hear fan comes on and off.However there is only one flaw ..Not really a flaw,,rather anoying feature.
    It got two blue lights running on the bottom of the case where touchpad is.Its fine during daylight time but at night it aggrevates the living hell out of me.Other then that it's perfect.I am happy!

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread