Sales Question for ABW vets
    I have a question for the AM pros out there. I'm just trying to see where my sales fit in after a short time in AM.

I know this totaly depends on your niche and product but from your experience what are usually the slow months for sales and what are generally the more active months? Is there something you can do in the slow months to help things along. Thanks in advance for your responses.

It really depends on the niche, but most general items follow a usual seasonal pattern. Sales slow somewhat heading into summer, then start picking up in October and peak sometime in December.

There are several niches that have different peaks. Office products peak in January. Flowers and jewelry do well in February (Valentine's Day) and May (Mother's Day). Tax stuff does well January through April. Travel peaks in the summer. Clothing seems like it might do well in late summer (Back to School) or at any season change. Many industries have much less dramatic peaks.

You really have two options for handling the slow months:

1) Diverisify into multiple niches that complement each other.
    2) Save during the peak months and continue to build.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael. Fellow Mansfielder, Mansfieldite, Mansfieldian or whatever it would be. I appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You really have two options for handling the slow months:

1) Diverisify into multiple niches that complement each other.
    2) Save during the peak months and continue to build.
    Great advice.

Really look at what you're selling and consider when it's used and purchased, and pay attention to the calendar. I've been swamped lately and had no idea spring break was about to hit. Our sales tripled the week prior and I felt fortunate, but had I been paying attention to the calendar, who knows what sort of volume we could've seen with a major push...?

Now we're building hard for summer, and planning our affiliate efforts (we're affiliates turned retailers, so now do both) for fall and winter as our retail season slows, as well as expanding into winter friendly product areas. We'll see a retail spike again around Christmas, but spring and summer are our main retail seasons, so like Michael said, we either bank a load to cover the lean months or diversify so we never have lean months.

Personally, I like diversification. There are strong products for every season of the year if you look for them. Michael mentioned some good ones, and I'm sure you can come up with a few more. All it really takes is a look at the season and what people do at that time of year. Take spring for example; what can you sell related to spring break (even young kids get time off from school, so parents plan holidays), spring cleaning, diet and excercise in prep for summer, home improvement, gardening, March madness, etc? What do you do this time of year?

Best of luck!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Online Marketing Consultant
    In wholesale and other B2B industries which do not do retail, you will notice peaks September and November to get the retail shops stocked up for the Holiday Seasons. You will also find that january and after december will be even larger peaks for the companies that deal with store returns.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

ditto to what has already been said. Our vertical is gifts so our "busy" season really runs Oct-Jun. Peaking in December but Mother's Day is a our second best...so I am working on getting ready for that.

rcampbell, for a moment there, i thought you were Isaac Asimov. Your pic looks like him!!

Anyways, echoeing eveyone else, I think it really, really depends on the products you're selling. Some have no seasons and some are heavily seasonal. For example, gifts would sell like mad during holidays like Mother's day. If you're selling winter clothing, then of course the only busy time is winter!!

Quote Originally Posted by bizzer
    rcampbell, for a moment there, i thought you were Isaac Asimov. Your pic looks like him!!
    haha. Nope, that pic is good ole Chris Farley "In a van down by the river"

Quote Originally Posted by rcampbell
    haha. Nope, that pic is good ole Chris Farley "In a van down by the river"
    As Mr. B would say 'Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, er, er.. shame.. er.. shame on you?'

good pic, btw! Too bad it wasn't Asimov as he's only the Greatest Man who has ever lived!!!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread