123 Hours...
    So, a major outage at my local ISP just ended. I was offline (other than sponged wireless from my neighbor (with permission!)) for 123 hours.

And I host my sites at home... So no sites for 123 hours...

And I host my mail at home... So no email for 123 hours...

Needless to say, I will have a new DSL provider shortly. Unfortunately, I won't have the new circuit in place until Thursday... and then there will (no doubt) be some downtime as I switch over...

Shoot me...

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    So, a major outage at my local ISP just ended. I was offline (other than sponged wireless from my neighbor (with permission!)) for 123 hours.

And I host my sites at home... So no sites for 123 hours...

And I host my mail at home... So no email for 123 hours...

Needless to say, I will have a new DSL provider shortly. Unfortunately, I won't have the new circuit in place until Thursday... and then there will (no doubt) be some downtime as I switch over...

Shoot me...

-John.
    Bang you've been shot!

Why on earth with hosting being as cheap as it is and being located in data centers with multiple power sources and generators with multiple bandwidth provers would you host your own sites on a DSL connection?!?

I'll keep the rest of what I thought about that to myself

Never, never, never host at home.

First, most DSL/Cable providers don't allow it with residential access. You're not supposed to run any servers.

Second, hosting is cheap. You should be able to find decent shared hosting for under $10/month, a decent unmanaged server for under $100/month, or a decent managed server for under $200/month.

Third, you'll get far better speed from a hosted server.

Fourth, you'll have far better reliability.

Fifth, you'll have better security. Just search here for "DFF Breakin" and you'll see what I mean.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I remember when I had my site at home. Whenever there was a storm, my heart rate rose.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    As always, MichaelColey nails it!

I can already imagine the lost opportunities! Well, looking at the bright side, your system is up and its time to make up for the lost time.

I could see hosting a site or two for testing from home, but I wouldn't even think about it for my more important sites.

You could buy your own server and have it co-located for about $150 a month... with all the pluses mentioned above.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Ghetto servers are frowned on by all ISP's. Furthermore, you have no guarantee that your site will be up when someone looks for it because of regular outages and fluctuations in bandwidth from your ISP.

Bite the bullet and spend $25 a month to get a dependable host.

David

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Never, never, never host at home.

First, most DSL/Cable providers don't allow it with residential access. You're not supposed to run any servers.
    From my new ISP's TOS: Speakeasy believes in the right of the individual to publish information they feel is important to the world via the Internet. Unlike many ISP's, Speakeasy allows customers to run servers (web, mail, etc.) over their Internet connections, use hubs, and share networks in multiple locations.

My old ISP is Telerama, a very geek-friendly ISP in Pittsburgh and Seattle. They practically encourage people to run their own services at home.

Second, hosting is cheap. You should be able to find decent shared hosting for under $10/month, a decent unmanaged server for under $100/month, or a decent managed server for under $200/month.
    I was paying $80 for dsl and getting my servers for free. Not all of us are making tens of thousands of dollars a month. Sure, I could afford $200 a month, but why pay it if I don't have to?

Third, you'll get far better speed from a hosted server.
    Probably true, although I have yet to have anyone tell me my sites are slow or to find a site speed test that says mine are any slower than average. If a site gets too popular, I will move it out of house, but for small sites, this really is not an issue.

Fourth, you'll have far better reliability.
    Other than this, I have been down maybe three hours in three years. I am not sure most hosts can make that claim.

Fifth, you'll have better security. Just search here for "DFF Breakin" and you'll see what I mean.
    Okay, this one almost makes me laugh.

Given that (a) nobody knows that I have computers in my basement, (b) they are older machines since web service is not that CPU intensive, and (c) they are pretty much hidden behind boxes in my storage area of my basement (to the point that it takes me five minutes to get to them if I ever need to (very rarely)), I don't really feel a lot of physical security risk.

My basement is dry. They all have battery backup. Pittsburgh is seismically stable, and doesn't generally get hurricanes or tornados or mudslides. I live in a high part of town, so there is no flood risk. Our house was built in 1918 by the owner of a local milk bottle manufacturing plant, who used the same builders for his home as for his plant. As a result, we have an 18" thick poured concrete foundation and 16" thick terra-cotta lined brick and concrete walls.

I am not saying that most people should host at home. Most shouldn't. If my sites start to kick butt, I will move to a remote server. But given that I have a good location and the technical know-how to do it right, I really don't see this as a problem. Some people work on their own cars; others go to mechanics. Some people fix their own roofs and pipes and wiring; others hire people.

My irritation was that NO ISP should be down for five days. Yeah, if I hosted elsewhere, my sites would have stayed up, but that would not have excused my ISP for their catastrophic (and avoidable, it turns out) failure.

While I get the point that a business is a business and therefore I should pay someone for services, I am not convinced that, for my traffic levels, it makes financial sense, given my situation. Nor am I convinced that running servers at home is grossly negligent.

Frankly, the reaction on here reminds me of people telling rape victims that they were asking for it by dressing "like that" and going into "that neighborhood". Yes, hosting elsewhere would have avoided THIS problem (although all hosts have problems), but that doesn't make the downtime my fault. I guess when anyone's host has probems, that is the customer's fault too for not picking a different host.

And that is all I want to say about it. Someone close this thread.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

I just recently got Verizon Fios and love it very much. It is very fast and affordable. I pay $30 a month I think for 15 down and 3 up. It is very nice. Sorry to hear about your day. I can not handle being out of pocket for to long. Just seems to throw everything off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    Frankly, the reaction on here reminds me of people telling rape victims that they were asking for it by dressing "like that" and going into "that neighborhood". Yes, hosting elsewhere would have avoided THIS problem (although all hosts have problems), but that doesn't make the downtime my fault. I guess when anyone's host has probems, that is the customer's fault too for not picking a different host.
    No offense intended. If you host at home, you will have problems like this from time to time. Even you admit that you wouldn't recommend it for most people.

There are certainly cheaper options. You don't have to pay $200 per month.

If someone has host problems, they certainly share part of the blame. There are good hosts and bad hosts out there. You have to choose a good one. I've had a bad host before. As much as I would like to pass the blame to the host, it was me who stuck with them time and time again when they had problems. I finally got tired of it, and switched to a far more reliable host. I've only had 30 minutes of host-related downtime in the past four years.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    No offense intended. If you host at home, you will have problems like this from time to time. Even you admit that you wouldn't recommend it for most people.
    I think we are in agreement here.

There are certainly cheaper options. You don't have to pay $200 per month.
    True, but I am a control freak. I also have a built in paradox where I kind of assume the cheap server places are cheap because they are skimping on essentials, but am too cheap myself to spring for the pricier options.

If someone has host problems, they certainly share part of the blame. There are good hosts and bad hosts out there. You have to choose a good one. I've had a bad host before. As much as I would like to pass the blame to the host, it was me who stuck with them time and time again when they had problems. I finally got tired of it, and switched to a far more reliable host. I've only had 30 minutes of host-related downtime in the past four years.
    I never said I didn't share PART of the blame. I agree. This is a risk I take. But the tone of the replies (to what was essentially just a venting post and was never expected to inspire ire) suggested to me that I was entirely to blame. Whether that my the intended implication or just my inference is of course subject to debate.

That said, I would love to know what host you use. Thirty minutes in four years is quite impressive compared to 90%+ of the hosts out there.

Anyway, my second post worked out all my pent up frustration, so I'm gonna let it all go and get back to trying to make money.

Oh, btw, the reason I chose your post to reply is that it was the most encyclopedic in terms of reasons NOT to host at home. That made it easier for my venting. Nothing personal, man.

-John.

I use Rackshack -> EV1Servers -> ThePlanet. (It's amazing how many name changes/mergers they've had recently.) They're relatively cheap, too. They're unmanaged, which sounds like what you would be most comfortable with.

A bad experience is far more useful if you learn from it. If you can learn from someone else's bad experience, even better. That's the main reason I responded. I'm sure others have home-based servers, and they need to know the risks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread