Should CJ, LS and SAS counter attack Google?
    Google Adsense is going to add PPA. This means offering commission on sales and not only earnings on clicks. Google is entering the affiliate market and a thread to the AM networks. The networks will survive, but Google will get a piece of the pie

If the networks do nothing about this, they will loose a part of the market. That is for sure.

The networks could take action by offering the same. This means also offering the PPA banners like Adsense. But not by signing up for the merchants individual. One signup for the networks means being able to get (text) banners for all merchants who want to participate. On a garden site you get PPA banners from the AM network about gardening. Maybe be even PPC (pay per click) is possible. You add a piece of code with keywords about the topic of that page and the Networks decide which products to deliver from their huge database.

Google is decreasing my Adsense incoming because he is lowering payouts. So I am not such a big fan anymore of Adsense. Please don't discus if this is true or not. For me it is true and would like this thread about my idea.

If CJ, LS and SAS want to keep their share of the market, they have to take action, because Google is coming.

ABW Ambassador
    Valueclick already tried this through their valueclick/fastclick company, I don't think it worked too well. They eventually pulled them, or do they still have them and I am just not in the program? My rep there is a 14 year old high school freshmen intern, so I have no idea what is going on over there past who is hunky and that unicorns are cool.

The best thing they could do is become better at what they are supposed to be.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    A few threads on this already. Don't think the networks have anything to worry about.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    A few threads on this already. Don't think the networks have anything to worry about.
    I dunno about that. Google have been pretty successful at dominating the market and a lot of people at Yahoo said that when the new kid on the block started playing in the sand box.

The networks definately want to monitor what G is doing cos one thing is for sure, I am pretty sure that 95% of all affiliates have a Google Ad sense acct but not even 70% of affiliates have accounts across all 3-4 networks. I can go on with technology, # base, reach, etc

Online Marketing Consultant
    So I am a bit confused. Google will allow you to use adsense banners, or a program similar where it will randomly generate banners based on the content of your site and if traffic comes through and turns into sales, you will get a larger commission like you would from an affiliate banner?
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Google is easy to use, period!

And with the powerful context based engine, they could place extremely relevant products directly onto your website taking away the need for datafeeds.

And god forbids should google decide to remove affiliate sites with datafeeds from their index altogether.

This is too much - everyone here who thinks that this ist he end of the world, raise yer hands...

Imagine if Google just up and decides to buy CJ / LS / and SAS too??

Not the end of the world. Just the end of affiliate marketing. (Not!)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Imagine if Google just up and decides to buy CJ / LS / and SAS too??
    How much would CJ / LS / SAS be worth? Is google big enough to swallow them? Very, very curious now..

Combined, they're probably worth about $1 billion. Google could swallow them without even blinking.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Found this article on ValueClick's earnings (the parent company of CJ)

For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2006, ValueClick reported revenue of $545.6 million, an increase of $241.6 million, or 79 percent, from revenue of $304.0 million for fiscal year 2005. Assuming acquisitions in 2005 and 2006 had been completed on January 1, 2005, year-over-year organic revenue growth was 34 percent for fiscal year 2006(2).

Fiscal year 2006 income before taxes was $110.1 million compared to $69.5 million for fiscal year 2005.
    Source: http://www.internetadsales.com/modul...p?storyid=9202

Google is the main search provider on the web. No one can debate this fact. If there is a way for Google to make money in this market they will. I would not look at this move as being offensive, in fact I would jump on board to make money with them. I am not opposed to multiple revenue streams. Are you?

David

I think the networks need to play catchup on their ease-of-use. Even if you still make affs sign up with individual merchants, you need to make the integration easier. Better ad code, more automation, more customization, automatic datafeed integration, etc...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    I think the networks need to play catchup on their ease-of-use. Even if you still make affs sign up with individual merchants, you need to make the integration easier. Better ad code, more automation, more customization, automatic datafeed integration, etc...
    Well said. All I have been saying all along.

Google = Easy.
    Others = Damn Hard to Use!

Believe it or not, lots and lots of bloggers and even publishers do not know how to do simple html or even understand the internet that well. Then google comes up with Adsense, and it gets plastered in everyone's blog and every corner of the netverse!

One code fits all websites!

We are now working very hard in building easy to use tools for both Affiliates and Merchants and hopefully it'll be almost as easy to use as the big G's.

I just hope it's not so easy to use that there are 50 billion copies of one site b/c it's so easy to insert links from these companies. Easy = more competition.. eek

ABW Ambassador
    "in fact I would jump on board to make money with them. I am not opposed to multiple revenue streams. Are you?"

As far as the Google CPA stuff, I will never put that up. Already plenty of networks that offer that. The only Google stuff I use are Adwords. Because they are the biggest search engine and I want to advertise to all those searchers. And Adsense for one site because I think it's the best as far as that and when that came along it was something new.

All the other stuff like this, sitemaps, merchants using checkout, free analytics etc. It's just sad to see merchants/affiliates using since there are other options out there for all of this. They're getting way too much into everybody's business, I think now is time to start pushing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    They're getting way too much into everybody's business, I think now is time to start pushing them out.
    Amen to that. They're taking advantage of this issue as much as they can (until someone, or some agency stops them). Analytics, Google Checkout, you name it, has tons, and tons of info on how business is transacted, and great deals of info on the consumer...spooky big brother stuff.

Just hope Google doesn't merge with Walmart. Between them they could start buying countries.

Google'ld probably get a good price for GM. You know we're in trouble when they start selling Googlebuprofen in the painkiller isle.

What's their penetration into online transactions now? +50%? That's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Amen to that. They're taking advantage of this issue as much as they can (until someone, or some agency stops them). Analytics, Google Checkout, you name it, has tons, and tons of info on how business is transacted, and great deals of info on the consumer...spooky big brother stuff.
    Businesses do not realize it but one day google will launch their own shopping portal selling more stuff than Wal-Mart, and then switch over all the PPAs to their site!!

And utilizing all their collected consumer info and behavior, database of who buys what, suddenly the world would only have ONE merchant left!

---- GOOGZilla -----

Anyways, we're developing our own analytics software as an alternative! And there are already countless web stats applications out there (like thestatcounter) which are pretty good but no where in comparison to google's.

Google Checkout may prove to be the ultimate trojan's horse for Merchants!

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Not the end of the world. Just the end of affiliate marketing. (Not!)
    got to prepare for the latter. nothing goes on forever. easy come, easy go.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzer
    How much would CJ / LS / SAS be worth? Is google big enough to swallow them? Very, very curious now..
    at least these guys know how to make money.

google just forked over a whole lot for a website that doesn't even know yet how to make money. (although there was a time that google too doesn't know how to make money, and look at them now)

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread