Hotlinking Images - Somebody Learned the Hard Way
    I get so frustrated when people hotlink to my images. Yes, I know there are ways to block it ... but, stealing is stealing. So, I had a big laugh out loud today when I saw this:

Why You Shouldn't HotLink Images

I love it!

Might have to do the same next time the ebay auctioneers start hotlinking...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I do that ... well, I replace the image at my site. Then I redirect the old image name to an advertisement for my website. I figure if they're going to steal my bandwidth, then they can advertise for me.

I've tried writing to the offenders, but it rarely does any good. So, I advertise my site. Swapping the images is less time-consuming than writing to the thief.

I use the Hotlink Protection option in CPanel. When folks hotlink to my images, all they see on their site is an image that says something to the effect of "I don't steal your bandwidth. Please don't steal mine." I usually will put the URL to my website too.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I'm planning something similar on one of my sites that gets quite a few hotlinkers. If an image is shown on my site (or select sites that I've authorized to hotlink to my images), it'll appear normal. If it's on someone else's site or has no referrer, it'll turn into an animated gif that alternates between the original picture and an ad for my site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Someone on myspace has been showing this for over a year now:

As a bonus, the person is quite popular, so I've gotten thousands and thousands of imps. It's like a free CPM campaign!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've seen worse than this! There was an article that I read where someone replaced an image hotlinked on myspace all the time with goatse...

Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    I get so frustrated when people hotlink to my images. Yes, I know there are ways to block it ... but, stealing is stealing. So, I had a big laugh out loud today when I saw this:

LOL LOL - perfect!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Years ago, there was a deal site (that has since gone away) that kept stealing content verbatim from my site and a handful of others... one day I realized that the content thief had hotlinked one of my images, so I replaced the graphic with an animated one that flashed bright red letters and said "Content Stolen!!" "from <mydealsite>"

I did this late at night, and it was midmorning before it got pulled, and a BS message went up on the offending site about how "someone hacked my site... wah"

We (and some of the other site owners) were ROTFL about this for days

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Had this issue with product images being stolen and rehosted 5 years ago for a clients site. We started watermarking the images with the sites url. Traffic increased.

If someone is hotlinking can you block them from your server??

Yeah, you usually can from your server controls
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

That was classic!

P.S. I love the MySpace layout Mike D. created, if I ever create a MySpace account (chances are slim) I'll probably use that layout

I do that ... well, I replace the image at my site. Then I redirect the old image name to an advertisement for my website. I figure if they're going to steal my bandwidth, then they can advertise for me.

I've tried writing to the offenders, but it rarely does any good. So, I advertise my site. Swapping the images is less time-consuming than writing to the thief.
    I used to do that as well, but auctions are so short-lived, it's not really worth the effort beyond the principal of it. As Leader mentioned though, the Myspace hotlinks may have a bit more staying power.

There's also a part of me that's always thought img src links played a part in pagerank, so I'm not too tyranical about it. The ebay ones bug me the most, because they're using my images and bandwidth to sell their products...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I have a few scripts that protect content from hotlinking.I think it called "rubber wall" or something like that.
    Don't know how it works because I never had a need for it but if anyone interested I can put it out.Thats of course if it's not against forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    I used to do that as well, but auctions are so short-lived, it's not really worth the effort beyond the principal of it. As Leader mentioned though, the Myspace hotlinks may have a bit more staying power.

There's also a part of me that's always thought img src links played a part in pagerank, so I'm not too tyranical about it. The ebay ones bug me the most, because they're using my images and bandwidth to sell their products...
    It's the people that use them on their own sites that bug me and some weird auction site in Japan or China. I don't mind the eBayers as much because they are usually selling the item and using the picture I have on my site for the same item with all the eBay listings on the same page. So, it's like I'm helping them to promote something I'm promoting and earning money on. And, as you said, they are only there for a short time ... except the eBay stores. That's a different story ... especially when they also steal your text word-for-word ... that bugs me.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread