Some one out there is using my site to sign up for affiliate programs
    I wonder if any one of you have experienced this, it is getting too frustrating for me.
    A guy by name Rufus Hearst ( hope i spelt it right) has been using my website, contact info found in the domain registries to sign up for affiliate programs. I would get voice mails on my phone and would always call the affiliate managers to say I did not sign up for it. I actually received a mail for him once at my address.
    Today I spoke to one affiliate manger who called and asked for the IP address, I traced it and it was in Detroit, MI and by AT&T.
    The sad thing is he keeps signing up for PPC and CPA programs and I believe he is spamming out there but uses my website so he could get into affiliate programs.

If any one has had the same problem, please let me know how I can solve it.
    Also to the affiliate managers out there, please confirm the affiliates to make sure they are who they say they are by sending emails to an email address linked to their domain name.

I thought it was just a mistake when it first happened but it looks like it is not because it has been this way for 2 years.

I will hunt him down.

Contact the networks in question. They are the ones that would want to know...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I feel your pain. Since I've taken over affiliate management at ILoveChecks.com, it's amazing the number of people who sign up with MTV.com or BBC.co.uk as their main affiliate URL.

Yours is just a more sophisticated version of that.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ditto what Noth recommends. The networks will cut him off, at least from their side. Good luck
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I have had that happen as well. Fortunately a sharp affiliate manager knew it wasn't me, and I wrote the guy and he said he was just so sorry! Someone in another country. What a dummy.

Outsourced Program Manager salvo's Avatar
    Yeah, I find applications from affiliates who are claiming sites that are not theirs all the time.

It is impossible for me to check WhoIs info on all of our applications because that would be a full time job, but any time I get a site that I do not recognize with a page rank of 3/10 or more & a general email from hotmail, yahoo, etc... I generally check the WhoIs to try and match it up. I have also asked some applicants to send me an email from an account @ the domain name in question as an extra measure to avoid fraud.

If anyone can think of more ways to catch this stuff, I am sure AMs would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks a lot guys, I will be contacting the network to see what they can do

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by salvo
    Yeah, I find applications from affiliates who are claiming sites that are not theirs all the time.
    Some could be affiliates doing pureplay PPC and putting their url as google.com, yahoo.com and such (not me though). i've encountered an affiliate manager once fuming about this. is the anger warranted?

on the other hand, an affiliate claiming another's site may be hard to spot unless the real owner complains about it, or the AM checks every whois against every application (private reg can complicate this). but is there really an AM who checks every whois?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Here is a recent thread that's relevant to this topic. Application fraud is happening a lot..

ABW Ambassador
    they can put in a wrong url just to get approved, but why put in a wrong personal info as well to jibe with the url's whois? that doesn't make sense. where would the check go to then, to the url's owner? will somebody please do this to me! i need the extra cash

Bogus App's & Imposters
    I see it happen a lot, and as an affiliate manager - it's something I'm always on the lookout for! Usually a big flag (although not always of course) in the application is when the email address of the publisher is not related to the domain in any way. I've exposed a few fraudulent publishers when I make calls to introduce myself and I find out the web owner is completely surprised when they hear they are applying for affiliate programs. For any CJ app's I expose this way, I always report them right away. I'm not sure how seriously CJ takes these.

And I'm not sure what can be done legally though as a victim. It's certainly annoying and a waste of everyone's time to have to deal with stuff like this, but it's part of the job from my perspective.

Geofferson
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffmarcy
    I see it happen a lot, and as an affiliate manager - it's something I'm always on the lookout for! Usually a big flag (although not always of course) in the application is when the email address of the publisher is not related to the domain in any way. I've exposed a few fraudulent publishers when I make calls to introduce myself and I find out the web owner is completely surprised when they hear they are applying for affiliate programs. For any CJ app's I expose this way, I always report them right away. I'm not sure how seriously CJ takes these.

And I'm not sure what can be done legally though as a victim. It's certainly annoying and a waste of everyone's time to have to deal with stuff like this, but it's part of the job from my perspective.

Geofferson
    if they put in other people's url and then they put in other people's personal info, what does that leave anything for the fraudster? even the check's payee will not be in their name.

i think that for them to pull this off, the url can be other people's, but the personal info, including name, address, phone numbers and emails are that of the fraudster.

otherwise, why would they give their money to the url owner?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    even if a scammer uses false info/site to gain access to a network it would still be possible to push fraud transactions through an Affiliate program and then exploit a direct deposit payment system to push funds to their account..

That's just one thing we considered as their end game.. i am sure there are many more...

GBM

Here's my 2 sense on this:

As a network, we see these affiliates all the time... and they are becoming ever more sophisticated.

Here's a real life example of an affiliate fraud we caught just a few hours ago:

An affiliate signed up using:

- A well known Loan Site's domain name (I am not sure if I should put the real domain here)

- His address matches the domain's whois

- His Business Name also matches the whois info.

- uses a Yahoo email address

- clicks simulated to actually come from the domain specified.

He's using a fake business name even though we auto-lock their address info after 7 days and we confirm that before any money is issued. So, why do it? Because they can and it can be very time consuming and frustrating for Networks, and Merchants alike.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    if they put in other people's url and then they put in other people's personal info, what does that leave anything for the fraudster? even the check's payee will not be in their name.

i think that for them to pull this off, the url can be other people's, but the personal info, including name, address, phone numbers and emails are that of the fraudster.

otherwise, why would they give their money to the url owner?
    I am sure after they are approved, they go back and change the personal info . That is what the guy was doing who used my name. Thank goodness you are in hiding though, this would never happen to you, so you are safe, hehe!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I am sure after they are approved, they go back and change the personal info . That is what the guy was doing who used my name. Thank goodness you are in hiding though, this would never happen to you, so you are safe, hehe!
    That is true, lots of networks will let you change your payout name after an application is approved.

One thing that is not mentioned are merchants that have auto-approve, 1/4-1/2 of the merchants on LS have auto-approve on and the AM will never know if that applicant is hijacking somebody URL.

My philosophy is, check contact info, WhoIs, still can't verify = deny
    (call if it on the boarderline, and I have caught a few fraudsters before, which i send info to LS so that they can terminate the acct)

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread