Blogging 2.0
    Sam, a line from your blog:

I would call it blogging2.0, but blogging is deadů
    Do you think the printed word is dead? Why is blogging dead?

Just curious

Maybe you're right -- instead of blogging, we can insert myriad patterns of RFID chips into our bodies and wave our arms in the air and wiggle to communicate (kind of like smoke signals without the smoke)

I'd like to hang around, but I have to go -- later -- maybe you can tell everyone why blogging is dead.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Sam said blogging is dead? This must be out of context... Link please
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Noth, go to Sam's profile.
    Click on the url given for his "homepage."

It's the 27-Mar-07 listing and the sentence can be found above a popularity rating and a Bumpzee square.

I found Sam's statement interesting and I thought he might comment but it's up to him whether he'd like to comment to his fans or not.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    instead of blogging, we can insert myriad patterns of RFID chips into our bodies and wave our arms in the air and wiggle to communicate (kind of like smoke signals without the smoke)
    Now that would elicit some targeted marketing!

Blogging is "dead" (which is a way of saying "done" or "over" in the silly blogosphere, so I used "dead" with some intended irony), at least in the affiliate space, because we've taken the personality out of blogging and inserted a veneer of monetization.

This is all personal opinion, of course, and very subjective based on my own experiences as a content producer (and content consumer... I read over 700 feeds a day... oy!).

However, the trend is moving towards what I call "micro-chunks" of content production. Things like Twitter or SMS messages or feeds from Last.fm etc are providing the avenues for the type of content once reserved for blogs, and doing it with a much lower barrier to entry than knowing how to buy a domain, set up a WP account and posting.

Blogging is/was wonderful because it ushered in an age of consumption based on subscription (pull) rather than push. Blogging opened our eyes to the idea that you don't necessarily need a static website to get your ideas out into the open and then monetize those ideas, content, products or services that you were pushing.

However, blogging is terribly inefficient and that's why they haven't been adopted on a wide scale like some of us were calling for a few months and years ago. They require a blending of attention, tech skills and insight which most people (especially in our affiliate industry) aren't willing to put in every day, week or even month.

Micro-chunks are much more efficient. Lower thresholds, less tech skill required. However, the REALLY interesting thing is that the search engines are in love with micro chunking (or micro blogging) sites like Tumblr.com and Twitter. Once the SEO community realizes the higher efficiency for less trade off, expect to see a large exodus from the land of blogging Egypt.

Yes, I publish a blog about online marketing, but I consider it a very fluid entity. As I allude to in the post today, the format of the site will be morphing in the next few days, weeks and months to go along with some of the craziness I'm spouting here. You can see an example of what I have in mind on my personal site (samharrelson.com).

My point (and belief) is that the "subscription economy" or "attention economy" that has been created continually pushes towards simplicity and efficiency based on marketing forces. Affiliate marketing, in particular, stands at a critical crossroads where it can either help to develop ways to monetize these emerging content production platforms or not.

I hope we choose wisely because I do love and believe in this industry so much!

BTW, I think it's a fitting example that I keep up with posts I find interesting here using RSS

Quote Originally Posted by samharrelson
    BTW, I think it's a fitting example that I keep up with posts I find interesting here using RSS
    Great, maybe you could give me some RSS pointers
    [Or maybe Jason/MINDSPRINTER would do that if he understands RSS -- he's great at Web 2.0 tutorials]
    I don't know how to use RSS and would be grateful for any advice.
    You could create a thread of helpful resources/tutorials in this sub-forum or if an interest is lacking please PM me.

I became a member of a bunch of 2.0 "latest & greatest" -- I'm following some friends and I'm following your leadership

I joined Twitter but the friends option is lonely for me at this time because none of my friends use it yet.

Thanks for all the info and the fun! You've really put a lot of work into creating threaded conversation topics about different facets of Web 2.0

As for "attention economy" does that phrase suggest that the average Internet user's attention span is fairly short and services like Twitter can help to reach out and grab the viewer?

I can understand that search engines would find Twitter (on a broad scale) but how precise would the engines go in terms of the patterns of speech/topics of a given member?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Great, maybe you could give me some RSS pointers
    Will do! I'll start a thread to discuss RSS. It's beyond easy, and if you can read Shakespeare, you can definitely do RSS!!

I'm following some friends and I'm following your leadership.
    Gosh, thank you... but don't follow me! I'll lead you down all sorts of wrong paths and make things much more complicated! Just ask my wife or Wayne Porter. Or, like I tell my college students... ask questions and stay away from people seeking followers.

I joined Twitter but the friends option is lonely for me at this time because none of my friends use it yet.
    That's no good! My username is "samharrelson". Add me so that I can get you hooked into the growing affiliate community there... people like Wayne, Jim Kukral, Shawn Collins, Fraser Edwards, Brian Littleton, Scott Jangro, Jeff Doak, Loxly, Andy Rodriguez, etc are starting to form a nice little group. It's getting fun just for the discussions of online marketing, etc.

As for "attention economy" does that phrase suggest that the average Internet user's attention span is fairly short and services like Twitter can help to reach out and grab the viewer?
    Yep... exactly. "Attention" is becoming a currency just like clicks or page views. In fact, with the rising use of widgets, RSS and things like Twitter, I'd venture to say that "attention" will be the metric that we'll be using to measure a campaign's effectiveness in the coming years. Google gets that, and they are making moves to secure their place in the commercialization of that "attention metric."

I can understand that search engines would find Twitter (on a broad scale) but how precise would the engines go in terms of the patterns of speech/topics of a given member?
    Oh, this is fascinating.

I did a post on CPN last week about just this. Evidently they were testing out AdSense ads based on individual "tweets" (since EACH ONE HAS A PERMALINK!!). Wayne and I had a lot of fun trying out different keyword combinations and did all sorts of interesting contextual tests. Twitter has since (sense?) taken down the AdSense, but I have no doubt they will be back up soon.

Since each tweet has an individual permalink, it's not a stretch to see that they each could be used for keywords and targeting. Again... I think that example of "micro-content" is much more efficient at getting to interested customers and audiences b/c there's less general content to dig through!

Thanks again for the convo... you've got my mind working tonight!

I'll get a thread up on RSS shortly, and if anyone else would like to start one, don't hesitate.

More soon!
    Sam

Will do! I'll start a thread to discuss RSS. It's beyond easy, and if you can read Shakespeare, you can definitely do RSS!!
    Great! I've been waiting for such a thread
    Not only can I read Shakespeare, I can quote John Milton's "Lycidas" by heart

Gosh, thank you... but don't follow me!
    I was being nice
    Check my history here, I think, speak, and write "out of the box."
    If anyone follows his own drummer it is I

That's no good! My username is "samharrelson". Add me so that I can get you hooked into the growing affiliate community there...
    Sounds good

In fact, with the rising use of widgets ... "attention metric."
    Sometimes gimmicks can be false.
    As an example, I "know" some young webmasters who are experts at Flash but some of the fancy "splash pages" didn't help engine results at all.

Widgets also can be hot one moment and not the next.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Gosh, thank you... but don't follow me! I'll lead you down all sorts of wrong paths and make things much more complicated! Just ask my wife...
    Yeah, wives usually find out about that sort of thing after the marriage

Don't worry, although I've been accused of flirting at different points of time, it's the excitement of exchanging ideas that I am interested in.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'll get a thread up on RSS shortly, and if anyone else would like to start one, don't hesitate.
    I guess I will wait for that thread then.

Yesterday I found SimplePie, and after I play around with it all day, today I was going to ask about some feedback about using SimplePie for RSS.
    Last edited by Mr. Sal; March 28th, 2007 at 01:39 AM.

That's no good! My username is "samharrelson". Add me so that I can get you hooked into the growing affiliate community there...
    I can't figure out how to do that on Twitterr.
    There's a form I can e-mail to my friends (but they don't use Twitter).

There should be (I'm not sure why there isn't, it would be a good idea to program such a feature) a list of members -- if you'd like to make contact with the person a click should be all it takes.

I think I found you on Mybloglog or whatever -- I'm on Bumpzee but I haven't tinkered with that yet.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hey Rhia (or anyone interested in experimenting with Twitter)...

Just go to http://www.twitter.com/samharrelson

On the right sidebar, you'll see a box labeled "Actions." You can "add samharrelson" by clicking there.

Let me know if you have any problems!

RSS thread coming shortly

While I don't necessariy agree with Sam, he's right in some senses. Blogging isn't for everyone.

As for RSS, I'll chime in as soon as Sam starts that thread...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

On the right sidebar, you'll see a box labeled "Actions." You can "add samharrelson" by clicking there.
    Thanks, I wouldn't have known otherwise but Twitter is slow.

I think Digg is more interesting.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I think my page would be http://twitter.com/rhianna
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread