Google is Ignoring my Page title?
    Google has my website listed, but the page title they have is not the one written in my html code. I don't understand why they are using a completely different title to the one that i actually have. The robot visits my site every 14 days but still does not update the page title. Any idea why this is?

Please post a URL so that we can look at the site.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    robot visits my site every 14 days
    They don't uually send the crawler that specifically on a regular basis. Have you actually seen that they visit every 14 days and fetch the page (not just robots.txt) in your logs or stats, or is that 14 days in a revisit meta tag?

completely different title to the one that i actually have
    Do you have an ODP listing they might be using the title from? And - how about what they have for the cache for the page? Is that fairly current?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Do you have an ODP listing they might be using the title from? And - how about what they have for the cache for the page? Is that fairly current?
    ......Yes I do have a ODP listing but why would they be getting the title from there and the page description from the actual site? Also, when I click on the cache it shows the correct text for the page title, not the text which they're using.

Sorry I can't answer the 'technical' questions as I haven't a clue. I have a webmaster and he is just as baffled by this situation.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If the page title in Google matches the DMOZ title, Michael is right. I have not yet seen that happen, but I did read the Matt Cutts blog about it when it was posted.

I have also seen a few incidents where there was a syntax error in the head section of the page, which apparently made it difficult for Google to parse the text in the title. The HTML title tag should ideally come right after the head tag, but I've seen it as the 10th line in a pages code and GoogleBot still found it.

You might want to run the page through the W3C validator to see if any syntax errors show up in the head section.

http://validator.w3.org/
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    The reason I asked that is because it's pretty much query dependent, and if they can't determine the correct title that's a match for the query from the page they crawled, they'll assume the ODP title is accurate and pull that to include in the snippet.

Quote Originally Posted by jenco
    ......Yes I do have a ODP listing but why would they be getting the title from there and the page description from the actual site? Also, when I click on the cache it shows the correct text for the page title, not the text which they're using.
    That's because what's in the cache shows what the crawler actually fetched for the page, but there's a different algorithm used for showing snippets and they try to make that as accurate for the particular query as they can, based on how the page seems to be relevant for the query (for the search). The answer is, as Michael said, to use the NOODP meta tag, or work on making the page so it's relevant for the search terms you want to be found for - so that the snippet algo has something to work with.

Here's Matt's post about using NOODP:
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google...eta-noodp-tag/

Sorry I can't answer the 'technical' questions as I haven't a clue. I have a webmaster and he is just as baffled by this situation.
    The question about the 14 days visits isn't technical - how do you know it's every 14 days? If it's because the webmaster told you that, ask him how he knows, whether it's from a meta tag (which does absolutely nothing) or if it's been documented from server logs or website stats.

Actually, you should be able to see spider visits (and keyword/search information) in the stats for your website, available in your hosting control panel generally, and it's something everyone should definitely have available.

Thanks Guys. I'll ask my webmaster to take a look at this and add the NOODP tag. My only concern is; will this affect my rankings> Since being listed in DMOZ my website has shot up to number 2 position for one of my main search terms. I really don't want to jepordize that.

ABW Ambassador
    How does the title look with the search you have the #2 ranking for? If it's the "regular" one that's on the page, I'd leave it alone. Do you have your keyword phrase in your title?

How does the title look with the search you have the #2 ranking for? If it's the "regular" one that's on the page, I'd leave it alone. Do you have your keyword phrase in your title?
    Strangely enough, the title for which I have the no: 2 ranking, is the correct title that I have in my html. Not the ODP one. Its very peculiar how that title is OK but when my website is listed for any other search its the ODP title that's shown. Why do you think this is?

Yes, I do have my keyword pharse in my title. In fact, I have two, but my website only gets listed for one.

Yeah, I think I should leave it alone too. My webmaster tells me that I'm extremely fortunate to be listed no: 2 for such a popular keyword. Most my competitors are paying for adwords.

DMOZ? I thought that had become moribund.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread