Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    If that was staged, it certainly has brought a lot of attention! I saw that on the news last night
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

I never even considered that it might have been staged. If it was, that's a stroke of genius. I'm sure they got far more than $1.5 million in publicity from that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Not to mention that on the broadcast I saw last night, it didn't say that this guy was making a new movie.

Did you see him in "The New Guy"? What a riot! I fell out of my chair laughing when the nerdy kid caught on fire and he said "roll around a little bit, you'll be alright" Makes me wanna go see him in another movie!

great job pointing that out, you could be right, that might have been staged
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; March 28th, 2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

On youtube they're already running banner ads for redline...go figure

Didn't think about that until you pointed it out. Seems like they had a camera in just the right place at just the right time getting a great high quality shot. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner
    Didn't think about that until you pointed it out. Seems like they had a camera in just the right place at just the right time getting a great high quality shot. Coincidence?
    Heck the movie opens Apr 13 and there is no way they are still in production, but apparently they were at Irwindale Speedway for a charity event. Bravo...the press is eating this thing up...even AP bit. One of my cube-mates pointed out that they're using MySpace as a distribution channel -- notice how they only really allow you to "add" links? Excellent strategy.
    Last edited by 1av8r; March 28th, 2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: more info

whoever the marketing genius was that was behind this, I want them to come work for me!

Maybe I should start referring to Dr.Steph as Dr.Death........maybe I could get more traffic then. lol

You're the bomb for spotting this! Kudos

if it is marketing play, it's a good one.

It's a massive stretch to think this was staged...it is remotely possible, but highly unlikely.

Firstly, you're talking about the actor risking severe injury. An accident like that is very dangerous, could easily result in major injury, and the guy's lucky he didn't get hurt. Almost no way anybody's stupid enough to take that big a risk. Let alone a producer (or the producer's lawyer) willingly letting someone else take that risk.

Secondly, people here are highly overrating the monetary value of this publicity. You can buy a *lot* of TV spots for $1.5 million, and I'm sure the producer is well aware they would be better off with that that wrecking his beloved car.

The main reason the video looks a bit fishy is because he was going slower at that point - but that's obviously because he realized he was losing control and trying to brake like heck.

Well considering that the taxbrain event was a complete fake, I understand your thinking.

Yea, it was a setup and it worked.

----------
    rgrsgrl,

You sure he wasn't just doing the 'crazy eye' look and lost control?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Good point! I have found the 'crazy eye' also works with angry pit bulls and tiny breed land sharks trying to rip your face off during a blood draw.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that remembers things like that.

Check this out...the exact same phenomenon is happening with Fake or Not Fake over here and here. Suddenly it's becoming a collective mindset with three groups -- those who think or want it to be fake, those who think or want it to be real and those who have no opinion. All the viral ingredients are in play -- they've got someone who knows someone who was there, footage from real cams and handi's, local press corroboration of the facts, fans, hollywood, cars, babes, mass media coverage etc. and it *only* cost $1.5M! Like it or not, this is guaranteed to be a blockbuster opening.
    Last edited by 1av8r; March 29th, 2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: sp +

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread