Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hosting for the 2.0 era
    Does anyone have hosting recommendations for a company that can handle the digg effect or something like it?

My site has been brought down twice now by digg, despite assurances my new and expensive dedicated hosting could take it.

So, what hosting could you recommend that can handle spikes in traffic like those given by slashdot, digg, or others?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Your dedicated server couldn't handle it? What sort of processes do you have going on there? I wouldn't imagine a blog could be very resource intensive. I use ThePlanet and am very happy with their dedicated servers.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I gotta say I was as suprised as you were. This server performed even WORSE than my shared hosting account when it was hit with a digg...

Site's been down for hours now....

The stats:

GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
    Version psa v8.1.0_build81070201.15 os_FedoraCore 4
    OS Linux 2.6.9-022stab070.9-enterprise
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Where's the bottleneck? Memory, I/O, bandwidth?

Now, if you're on a dedicated server with all the processing power in the world but it's plugged into a shared switch port (rather than a dedicated 100Mbps router port) that could be a major issue.

It's like you've got the largest parking ramp in town, but there's only one road that leads to it.

I'd try to determine exactly *where* the slow down is occurring.

I gotta say I was as suprised as you were. This server performed even WORSE than my shared hosting account when it was hit with a digg...

The stats:

GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
    Version psa v8.1.0_build81070201.15 os_FedoraCore 4
    OS Linux 2.6.9-022stab070.9-enterprise
    Wow, who's your dedicated host? And what do you see when you run a "ps aux" from your command line? Could it be that you don't have apache set to accept enough connections? Or maybe mySQL needs to be configured for more traffic. I somehow doubt it's a problem with your CPU speed or memory.

- Scott

Digg traffic is just traffic, they don't buy stuff. I wouldn't plan a server around spikes, I would rather get steady traffic. To handle digg spikes you'd have to load balance across multiple servers like the huge sites do. No 1 server will handle a load like that.

I can't say where the bottleneck is exactly. The hosting co is as puzzled as I am.

However, I've seen shared hosting accounts handle digg traffic. It just needs good hardware and good configuration.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

However, right now I'm actively looking for suggestions on hosting. Can you recommend someone who can handle the traffic? PLEASE!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe no one. It sound more like a problem with the scripts that are running. The site is dynamic right? Can you check your sql status? Anything running long? Are scripts running long? Can you cache it?

Digg simply doesn't generate that much traffic to take down a well setup server, hell not even close. So instead of looking for hosting, you should be looking at your site and seeing what the cause of the bottleneck is.

Chet

I agree...

I've enabled MySQL cache, and used plugins like WP-Cache that create static versions of the pages generated by the wordpress php. I've tried to optimize my images and CSS as much as possible as well.

I guess I'll have to find the bottleneck...I think it has to do with server memory. I probably need to make sure the server is dropping requests over a certain time limit, etc...

Still, I had a shared hosting account that handled the traffic better than this one, so I don't know what gives. Still, any suggestions on other hosting companies are appreciated...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Maybe no one. It sound more like a problem with the scripts that are running. The site is dynamic right? Can you check your sql status? Anything running long? Are scripts running long? Can you cache it?

Digg simply doesn't generate that much traffic to take down a well setup server, hell not even close. So instead of looking for hosting, you should be looking at your site and seeing what the cause of the bottleneck is.

Chet
    I totally agree. This just sounds like a job for your system administrator. A single server should definitely be able to handle this traffic. How much memory is in this server?

- Scott

Just ran across this:

http://www.survivedigg.com/

What do people think?

Snib: 7.92 GB total
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Hi Jason-

I've used LivingDot for hosting for a good number of blogs that have successfully weathered Slashdot and Digg visits. They are a very very quick and responsive team, along with keeping you up to date on your bandwith in case you come close.

I highly recommend them.

I've also heard that MediaTemple (the people hosting blogs like TechCrunch) are experts at handling such up and down traffic.

Let us know what you find!

ABW Ambassador
    Do not go with Mediatemple. Their - we can survive a digg - was done on hardware/software that was not what they advertise as their diggable setup. I cancelled my service with them 6 months ago and still get trouble tickets for open issues... their grid server just isn't what they promise.

Did you look at mosso?

But again, with all these, your current setup should handle it. I wonder if there is some strange setting somewhere in php or mysql that is killing it.

Snib: 7.92 GB total
    Wow, sounds like you're dealing with a huge database. Definitely not memory that's a bottleneck here. I think it's something to do with your Apache or mySQL configuration. Seems like they just aren't set to handle enough connections.

- Scott

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I have read on more than one occassion that the "digg effect" has knocked out many a server. Search around digg, I know a few articles have been written on how to survive the "digg effect" I read one that had sme sort of script that redirected visitors to another server.

Just signed up for http://www.survivedigg.com/

They guarentee 100% uptime with a front page story. We'll see...

However, so far their support has been excellent. The guy was chatting with me for 2 hours helping me set things up.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Hey, keep us updated, how they're performing over time, espescially when digg happens. Might become useful to us

you bet i will!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Tweaking the settings within mod_security on your server could help you survive the Digg traffic. Dedicated server providers will often setup new servers and never bother to configure mod_security properly.

you bet i will!
    Jason,

I've just managed to catch up on your digg threads, and was curious as to how you're doing in regards to sales and such with all of that traffic coming in?

Well...

The site that's been dugg isn't a sales site. I don't even have aff links, just google ads and some CPM for the most part. I didn't make too much money yesterday because the site was down or so slow. People were too frustrated to click on ads (plus digg traffic isn't known to click too much). However, I got a ton of backlinks, blog responses, comments, and such from all over the place, and today's traffic is shaping up nicely in regards to unique visitors and ad revenue.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    You need good hosting period, not just for diggs. First time my site was mentioned on TV, I got hammered and it was fine. What if Oprah mentioned you? surviveoprah.com

Ha!

This new host says their system should handle all kinds of traffic surges, not just digg. The first time it gets put to the test I will be sure to report the results.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I would not be surprised if you could find a service to load test your site. If not you should set up a local server and load test your own site. It will not be 100% realistic but it will give you an idea where your site will choke under pressure. You will need to pay attention to all aspects: Web server, Sql Server and the operating system.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast