ABW Ambassador
    Sorry Haiko - I know this is a search engine question but it also pertains to our careers as affiliate markerters. And everyone hangs out here so I thought it would get the most exposure here.

Are any of you guys concerned about the recent change in yahoo and how it will affect affiliate marketing?

For those that don't know - yahoo is now no longer just displaying it's own results - the most releveant results are coming from google and other yahoo partners. So forget paying $299 and optimizing your site for top rankings - doesn't work anymore.

Now I have spoken to a few of my affiliate managers and word is they are holding some pretty hefty meetings to discuss the future of their affiliate programs and if they'll even be needed because now they are getting major traffic from yahoo for keywords that particulary relate to their company name, etc. So why should they pay us when they don't have to anymore?

Do you think this yahoo change is going to stick and really affect our careers as affiliate marketers? Do you think many will end their programs? Or do you think it's just a temporary thing and it will be switch back.

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Top listings still come from keyword buys at Overture. Overture is a IdeaLab company just like CJ.com. As long as there is a wall between CJ and Overture policy making the two won't team up and monitize Yahoo SE listings.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    To the AM who states I am getting enough traffic why do I need an affilate program is akin to saying I have enough money and don't need any more.
    If all they wanted was traffic and brand building their goal has been accomplished, but try asking if they don't want any more money besides what yahoo drives to them and I am sure they will answer differently. While Yahoo drives traffic, until such a time as I see just and only yahoo traffic in my logs, I doubt this will end things.
    Affilate marketing will no doubt evolve over time as technology changes. When it happens we will have to adapt also.

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

ABW Ambassador
    You are probably in different affiliate programs and go about it different than me. I focus in on products, not marketing a merchant name.

I never paid for Yahoo inclusion either. Ever since Google hammered me earlier this year I have only done sites that can get into ODP, Yahoo, and Zeal for free.

As for the future of affiliat marketing, I predict the networks will continue giving the parasitic affiliates too much free reign to steal from the merchants, eventually there will be some audits done, the press will get ahold of it, and that will be the end of affiliate marketing.

ABW Ambassador
    I would have thought the changes in Yahoo would advantage affiliate sites rather than not. After all, it isn't always possible to get an affiliate site into Yahoo, but it is a certainty of being able to get them into Google.

DO I think the changes will stick. Yup, though I do suspect there may be other search providers in the Yahoo listings in the not too distant future.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Affiliate Manager
    From a merchant standpoint, I think this actually shows the need to keep the affilaite base- you never know what the next day is going to bring. There is no search engine optimization as stable and with as wide of a base as an affilaite program. Every time there is a big change in an algorythm- you hear affiliates whose entire seo has gone out the window- and others who have "won" those lost spots. A good affilaite program will have both of those people selling their products- and keep stability in the bottom line.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Those other search providers being inktome, I hope! C'mon baby, roll those dice!

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    This isn't the first time Yahoo has had the google returns show up as the default on the search returns. They were doing it before (I forget how long ago, but this year I think). Then I noticed a drop in traffic from yahoo on my ecomm site and saw they had switched to their category listings showing. I didn't sweat it because for me I get more traffic from google anyway. Now they've switched back to google it seems. So do I think it's going to stick? Nope. Yahoo is constantly changing how and what they show for their returns.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

my traffic from yahoo search has gone up by a facor 30 since the change.. I used to 1 or two per day and now I get fifty or sixty. Seems ok to me.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This change sounds like it'll be a great huge smorgasbord for whoever gets top positions in Google!

As for merchants claiming that they are getting tons of traffic under TheirName--it sounds like those merchants are marketing way too narrowly to me so shooting themselves in the foot by whacking their affiliate program may not be unlikely... Even with a very strong brand, there should be searches coming in on the generic terms, too. Like how (In)famous Footwear also gets people who look for "shoes" even though they have a huge brand recognition!

I have seen some products that are so odd or new that they only get searched on under TheirName and the only antidote to this effect I can think of is plain old diversification. Put on some items that people will look for more generic terms for, so the band of possible successful searches is wider!

As for the future of affiliate marketing, I think it will continue on, with adaptations and permutations along the way. The Net is really still relatively new so we are hardly looking at the final result!

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am defintely not complaining [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good old Google [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good old Yahoo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good old commish [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for the future of affiliate marketing, I think it will continue on, with adaptations and permutations along the way. The Net is really still relatively new so we are hardly looking at the final result!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't think there will ever be a "final result".
    The internet is a dynamic media which allows creative marketing to excell, albiet, at the whims of the traffic providers. As to the new Yahoo situation- some won and some lost. We have all been through these changes before. Perhaps it is time to stop whining and deal with this new reality while it lasts.

Some time you're the windshield. Some time you're the bug!

ABW Ambassador
    I think the future of affiliate marketing is assured. Too many companies rely on us for keeping them in business. Without its affiliates, these companies would not be found in the search engines and would have a tough time making enough money to survive.

Sure we will have to evolve and take on board changes. Maybe even changing programs, but there will always be people who want more money (not just us, I am talking about merchants).

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Definately affiliate marketing is going to survive this Yahoo! switcheroo....

successful affiliates are those who can adapt and change to keep turning the buck! imo

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

ABW Ambassador
    T-Bone,

I think you are right on. The Web is always shifting and moving. This can be good for smaller businesses that are very nimble and quick on their feet.

If anything the Yahoo! shift goes to show the need for affiliate marketers to break out of the usual mode of creating simple pre-selling sites and relying on SEO as the sole method of powering them.

If you build your own brand, a client list, and have something unique to offer, your business becomes more resistant to search engine algorithm shifts and revenue dips.

Any business that is soley based on SEO is not a safe one. That is one of the difficult factors in affiliate marketing. You can never be too reliant on any one merchant, relationship, product, or source of traffic. Just as a merchant should never be to reliant on affiliates. Those relationships can change too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am sure most seasoned performance marketers on this board have seen at least one healthy relationship crash and burn or they have been bitten by a shift in algorithm. i.e. When Inktomi was bested by Google a couple of years ago. It comes with the turf.

The more diversified you are and the more diversified your promotional resources become the easier it is to survive in a tough online environment.

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> successful affiliates are those who can adapt and change to keep turning the buck! imo <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well said MsMarySunshine I completely agree.

Likely Yahoo is dissapointed with their own directory results and is looking for better solutions to put themselves on top once again. What choice did they have but to go with what's considered to be the most accurate results on the net (google)? Sooner or later a better solution will come their way and it will all change once again. It's up to us to be ready for that on a whim.

ABW Ambassador
    You are all right and this has just motivated me to really learn all the search engines and not just focus on one. I am now doing an extensive training on SEO and learning all I can and redesigning and optimizing my sites as well as submitting to the other SEs. In addition, I have found my own products to sell and am in the process of finding a merchant account and building my own online store. Wish me lots of luck. I will not give up!!!

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

Good luck, JadaKiss!

You have already achieved enormous success doing this, so I don't doubt you'll come on top again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I think affiliate marketing is here to stay for quite a while.
    While we may have to adapt to new changes and SE's changing algorythms I think as a whole it will be here for a long time to come.
    Too many people have too many ideas, not to start doing different things online, by starting their own business.
    Even if you make or manufacture your own products or books the internet and affiliates helping to sell those products will always be here.
    I have a few very eclectic interests and when searching for new sites that I can enjoy in my spare time, I am amazed at some of the affiliate programs that are out there, especially the independent ones, and have been known to part with a dollar or two on the sites. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Of all the things I've ever lost ... I miss my mind the most!

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliate or affinity marketing has been around since the time of the cave person. (I'll give you five clamshells for every wheel purchase...)Historically business has offered kickbacks for referrals, bonuses for new customers (CPA), even magazines and other media use performance based mechanisms with their "remnant space". Performance marketing is nothing new only the manner in which we do it now is new.

The main difference is that we now have a new medium in which to execute performance deals and advanced technology that can track and credit the proper parties involved.

Affiliate or performance marketing will change as the Web and the Internet change, but I have no doubt it will always be here in some form or another.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

ABW Ambassador
    The future depends on the merchants and how they answer the question:

Would I rather depend on a large number of individual business people for my traffic, or one or two extremely powerful power brokers with major locks on the traffic?

The world the dupers (eBates, WurldMedia, etc) propose is one where the power brokers control the click stream and can even shut off merchants when they misbehave. Look how eBates slapped TD by cluttering TD's site with ads.

If the merchants answer that they like the American way of a large number of independent business people, then we will do okay. If they prefer the dark path of a few power brokers, then affiliate marketing fails.

The post was talking about search engines in control. Personally, I think one of the goals of the affiliate community is to assure that there are good, high quality alternatives for both the end user and web site owners to the big search engines. Yahoo, Google ... all built their base on providing open systems, as they turn to the dark side, affiliates should be working to provide people with alternatives

Missoula - Short Stories

In order for Affilate Marketing to suceed I believe we have to start our own program along with a search engine that is controlled and operated by all of us. It would take some time to build a good search engine but it would be in our best interest.We would also have some control in the operation of our "Trusted Third Party program.It's something to consider.

Where Do You Want To Be Tomorrow?

I agree with Wayne...affiliates will always exist. However what Wayne didn't say, but insinuated, was that affiliate busineses will likely be quite different how they are today.

I think it's an interesting question to look at the evolution of any new industry and wonder, "what will this industry look like in five-ten years. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Aggregation in any industry is the norm, but perhaps the Internet will make this industry different.

The Merchant only wins if the Afilliate wins.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread