Question about using Popshops
    I have what might be a really dumb question, but I can't seem to think it through without getting sidetracked in my head.

Let's say I make a shop that I intend to keep up until that particular occasion or season rolls around again and it needs to be reworked. I'm going to choose products from several merchants because that's the best feature. Sometime soon, the merchant is going to update the feed and that product might disappear. What happens to my shop? Is there a hole I won't know about until I think to check, or will it break the table or something?

I realize that I could check each shop whenever I'm in there working and fix stuff right then and there, but I anticipate a larger group than I have at the moment and it wouldn't be practical to continually check each one.

What am I missing?

Beautiful question, Judi. That occurred to me as well, but I got distracted (which isn't hard for me to do) and I totally forgot to ask about it.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Hi Judi,

Good question.

It is important to note that there will be instances where a product is no longer available but the merchant has not removed it from their datafeed. In those cases, the product will still be displayed and the click will still lead to the merchant page. If the merchant is handling the situation correctly your affiliate cookie should set like normal. This situation occurs currently in any data feed pulled from the networks if the merchant is not diligent about updating the feed.

But let's assume that the merchant is being diligent about their feeds.

Currently, this is the way we handle it:
    If an item is removed from a merchants feed, it doesn't disappear from your shop nor does it break the table. It will still be clickable but, depending on how the individual network handles it, the link may go to a network link error page rather than the merchant page.

We understand that this is far from ideal, so we are working on the following solution:

We will put an alert icon in Manage Shops Page next to the shop that has the unavailable product. Within that shop there will be a display in the thumbnail layout tool where we use that same icon to show you the spot(s) where the unavailable products is located. This will allow you to swap it out with a better suited product.

At the same time, so you do not have a product displayed that your customer can't click through we will substitute a product based on your original criteria (merchant/keyword/category). That substitute product will display until you replace the unavailable product.

That functionality should roll out in April.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

It's pretty early in the morning for me to be thinking, but that sounds like a good solution. The notification in the manage shops area would do it for me, but the replacement product might be even better. I only say "might" because the info you have available to you (merchant/keyword/category) might not give you exactly what I was thinking, but it should come close and would certainly be better than the network error page. Any chance that could just be the merchant homepage instead?

Thanks for the excellent response - I like this tool - and it certainly has made it easy to evaluate potential merchants BEFORE hitting the join button.

Sounds like a nice solution Angel. The only problem is getting the merchants to be diligent with their updates. How about this, you push em around for out of stock products and I'll do the same

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    Thanks for the excellent response - I like this tool - and it certainly has made it easy to evaluate potential merchants BEFORE hitting the join button.
    Personally I feel that is one of the best benefits of PopShops is the ability to evaluate your merchant partners based on how appropriate their product feeds are to your target audience.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Sounds like a nice solution Angel. The only problem is getting the merchants to be diligent with their updates. How about this, you push em around for out of stock products and I'll do the same

- Scott
    Deal, we can gang up on them Hopefully not only will they be more diligent but our upcoming merchant toolset will help them with that process.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread