I can't shake the specificclick SOB
    At first, I thought that it was just a regular cookie.

I even thought that it was coming from ABW, or from some out links from ABW.

But for the last 12hrs, I can't find from were I got it, but I think that now I am screwed, I can't find a real way to remove that SOB specificclick cookie without getting a new one anytime that I open any webpage, anywhere.

Even after I remove all the cookies, clear all the caches, delete all the index.dat, run Ad-aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Registry Mechanic, regclean, etc, and reboot the computer, I still get that specificclick.net cookie even by going to my site or any other site.

I hate that SOB!

While siteadvisor says its ok, the search I did on Google for specificclick, says something else. (...for the purpose of tracking a user's surfing history...) etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outsourced Program Manager paladin's Avatar
    Did you try Windows Live One Care? http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

A while ago I had a problem that Symantec & AVG could not remove, but One Care did manage to remove it.

I kept getting that one too, can't remember where or when it first appeared. I added it to my list of sites that cannot set cookies in McAffe privacy service. Can you block cookies with any of your programs?
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Did you check your host file locally under Windows directory?

Take care,

Brian

i looked at and found the cookie you mentioned removed it, visited a few pages and sites without it reappearing until i visitied the most recent post, when I recieved an additional cookie for sitemeter.

I found a post or two that tied specificlick with sitemeter on google. Sitemeter dropped one cookie and specificlick dropped 4 that expier in one year.

Don't quote me on this, but ABW seems to use statcounter, and I think that sets the specificclick cookie somehow.

Did you try Windows Live One Care?

A while ago I had a problem that Symantec & AVG could not remove, but One Care did manage to remove it.
    Thanks, but,

No, I don't trust onecare.live and hell might freeze, before I use no-r-ton or symantec products again.

Did you check your host file locally under Windows directory?
    Thanks, but I don't have any host files on my computer, I delete all my host files about three years ago, and so far I have not had any need to put them back.

i looked at and found the cookie you mentioned removed it, visited a few pages and sites without it reappearing until i visitied the most recent post, when I recieved an additional cookie for sitemeter.

I found a post or two that tied specificlick with sitemeter on google. Sitemeter dropped one cookie and specificlick dropped 4 that expier in one year.
    Maybe it comes from Sitemeter, maybe they started to do that lastnight but, I use Sitemeter on some of my sites and I know that Sitemeter give out a lot of cookies, but only when I go to Sitemeter, not when I visit any page with Sitemeter on it.

I still think it comes from somewhere else, because I have never had a tracking cookie from Sitemeter, or from anywhere else before.

When I say a tracking cookie, I mean a cookie like the specificlick one, I never had a problem deleting any cookie before today, not even with those persistent cookies that come back, if you stay on the site with the persistent cookies.

Can you block cookies with any of your programs?
    I just did!

I remembered that a few years ago I used a good cookies utility program to view and block cookies, so after I found that iecv.exe on my HD again, I just used my iecv.exe to block that specificclick cookies, it was tracking all the pages and sites that I went since about 15hrs ago.

Btw, if anyone wants to download a few good freeware utilities like, password recovery, system utilities, desktop utilities, etc, visit this site: NirSoft - they have a good supply of small utilities for Windows. (I just downloaded more than ten goodies from there.)

Arrow
    But for the last 12hrs, I can't find from were I got it, but I think that now I am screwed, I can't find a real way to remove that SOB specificclick cookie without getting a new one anytime that I open any webpage, anywhere.
    Update:

Thanks to a post that markschok made here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...689#post688689

Now I know that sitemeter is the one responsible for that specificclick crap.

March 31st, 2007 at 10:23 pm
    You can believe me because we had sitemeter on three sites and it was emitting the dg.specificclick.net/jensondemo cookie on all those sites. We had to get someone from our host to remove sitemeter from all pages. That counter continues to emit that spy cookie and people do not like to read a page through a spyware iframe. Source: http://blog.statcounter.com/?p=4#comment-394
    Sooner or later, anyone will get caught, if they're up to no good.

ABW Ambassador
    This is what Sitemeter said about it:

http://conservablogs.com/EricOdom/20...e-blogosphere/

specificclick.net
    Hmm - I have those yummies too. I went into Firefox and it was easy to block them in Options. I wonder where I could go to see if they come back.

Thanks for the heads up Mr.Sal

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    This is what Sitemeter said about it:

http://conservablogs.com/EricOdom/20...e-blogosphere/
    Sure Trust!

What they say there:

We found that Specific Media’s technology completely protects consumer privacy and also allows users to permanently opt out of the cookie if they so choose to do so via the NAI website, which was a big factor in us choosing Specific Media. In addition, many of the Internet’s biggest web publishers utilize Specific Media’s technology including Foxnews, CBS, NBC and Time.com. These companies utilize this technology in the same way that we are using it, to provide useful information about the users who visit their websites so that they can create relevant content on their websites. The only difference is that SiteMeter, which is primarily a free service, has licensed the technology and are passing it onto our customers.
    That remind me of what CJ says about ۧates.

Firefox lets you control all cookies. Under Tools>Options>privacy you can view and remove any cookies you don't want and set the browser to ask every time until it tries to set another of the cookies you don't want. You'll get a pop-up asking how you want to deal with that cookie and you can permanently block any cookie with one click. It's a litttle hassle until you have blocked all the ones you want blocked but then you can change the settings (from "ask me every time") and they will be automatically blocked. If you don''t want to keep any cookies just set it to remove all cookies when you close the browser.

Internet Cowboy
    I guess I am just not diligent enough. I have too many other things to concern myself with than who is setting a cookie on my computer when I am surfing.
    Maybe I should pay more attention, but probably not.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread