Hi everyone,

As one of the new members to both the industry and this resource I thought it might benefit some of the senior guys and admins here to see my perspective on some issues.

I came here to learn about the affiliate market, and to follow the senior guys posts in the hope of picking up usefull information. I'm keen to learn and was told that this was a great resource.

Over the past couple of weeks though it has become increasingly less pleasant to visit. I'm not trying start an argument here as I said earlier but it's worth noting that from a new member perspective this place has become a little scary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I have no suggestions to offer on how to improve the situation but hope that the senior members here might take note and perhaps work amongst themselves to make this a friendly, nice place to be again.

I sure hope so, there's some great older threads and info here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards all....

Nick

Tioka Internet // Web design & SEO

Good post

ABW Ambassador
    Sad but true.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Yea!

I strongly feel that it's the pessimism and negative thoughts that are ruining the situation here.

Only if people here started thinking more positively, I know things will improve.

The older ABW ( about a month after the CJ forums had closed ) was a gold mine of information that affiliates shared with each other so that each one of them could prosper and the affiliate marketing as an industry as a whole could grow. I am glad to say that this happened and we have grown, but the sad news is that with the growth, the maturty of affiliate marketers has declined.

Lets get back on track, lets concentrate on making more and more money and in the process lets make affiliates the prime source of traffic and revenues for all kinds of merchants insted of just accusing people for no reason whatsoever.

With the attitude shown by most (including the senior ones) affiliates in the past weeks, I am scared of the future of this business.

Lets get the old ang golden days back, and I KNOW that we CAN do it, just a litle bit of positive posts and action is required.

Regards,

--------

WECOME TO THE END,
    SATAN.

Yep - agreed.

This reminds me of what a poor communication medium a forum is when you are trying to say things besides facts and information. There just isn't much tone or voice inflection, reading someones facial expressions, etc. in a post!

That aside, I've gained a lot of information from this forum, but have to weed through a few things sometimes to get it.

There are several frequent posters here that have earned my respect from a professional perspective, and for that reason alone I come back.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

I just hope that all of these issues can be put quickly aside, or laid to rest for once and for all, because there are other more important things that need to be addressed right now.

The networks have agreed to listen to our side of the situation, and we need to get it together as a group so we can make them understand how wrong this is.

We have an opportunity here to open a few eyes and ears. If we aren't united to some degree, we don't stand a chance of presenting our side with any credibility whatsoever.

If we're not able to get our point across, this situation will only worsen in the months to come. I find it unnerving to see how unfocused we've become so close to the meeting. And all this airing of dirty laundry in public has got to be entertaining for those who want us to fall flat on our face.

Time is not on our side, people. Get it together.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I agree with all of you about ceising all the flaming and name calling and get on with tackling the real issues. I'm agast at how far the networks have gone to automate and cater to the needs of the BHO traffic hijackers. You combine the TAKE of all the automated Duperaffiliates along with the known parasites and the industry has shifted 80% of all sales commissions to this select group of auditrons.

I have only 1 merchant, out of 384, who is converting right on track ..TigerDirect. All the others regardless of DHTML displays -individual product links -PPC keyword traffic purchases -new banners and specific category text links have not overcome the cherry pickers interloping on my increased traffic. This concerns me as these activities by a normal affiliate like me used to drive sales. I work with merchants right here to increase reported affiliate sales with better landing pages and creatives. The AM's with network pointers then get a big head and turn to promoting the Dupers & parasites -diversion tactics -e-mail campaigns -coupon and "incent" feeds wacking our conversion ratios.

______________________________________________-
    My platform combined with other ABWers position papers need to put the networks and merchants on notice!! No squabbling -name calling or flames need take place here til some action gets taken!!

A single paper would be submitted with recommendation terminology for binding the networks -merchants and affiliates to honest and ethical business practices defined by laws in the brick-n-mortar world. The legal minds and major stakeholders in affiliate marketing are all firmly rooted in the retail/advertising industry, which is governed by existing consumer protection laws. We need to circumvent the excuse that something abusive to us or merchants is not covered by a specific internet law making it illegal. If an action by an affiliate-merchant or network isn't honest or ethical then it must be eliminated as an acceptable practice til determined illegal.

Therefore step #1 is to create a "Honesty & Fair Practice" statement that gets put in the top of all network Terms of Service (TOS).

"In order to utilize the the services offered by [insert network name] all affiliates and merchants, as defined below, must agree to use honest and ethical business practices as defined by existing USA and International business and criminal laws. Any action -representation or software application that circumvents or violates existing or future laws will be just cause for immediate termination from the [insert network name] affiliate network with loss of all benefits and acrued commissions."

: How can we trust the networks to spell out a restrictive policy on "affiliate BHO Applications" when they can't even define what a merchant is or isn't.

MERCHANT:**** -A licensed business who collects money for products or services and takes responsibility for the delivery of the same to their customer. Merchants agree to pay all commissions incurred by honest affiliate sales activity in a timely manner without any deceptive practices. Those entities who agree to pay commissions on the [insert network name] network trackable actions, who are not involved in delivering a billable product or service, will be clearly marked as "special class merchants" during the affiliate signup process.

AFFILIATE****An easily identifiable hosted domain who seeks commissions for driving targeted traffic to [insert network name] merchants using trackable affiliate coded links assigned to them. In order to qualify for a commission an affiliate has to originate the trackable click from their own authorized domain or from an e-mail marketing piece identifying their authorized domain.

Best practices recommendations for adding to the merchant profiles prior to affiliate signups.

1.Publish return day cookie durations and whether merchant allows for repeat sales during the active cookie period.
    2.Clearly show the commission rate and qualification terms, minimum acrued amount for cutting a check and payment frequency.
    3. Clearly Identify all "special class merchants".
    4. Clearly mark that a test purchase, done by the network compliance team, was completed every month to verify merchant sales tracking.

If a "Affiliate Application" or those operating behind it aren't behaving in HONEST or Ethical manner then we do not need an attorney or a Judge to tell us it's not covered by existing laws. The networks make the laws in their TOS and Honesty has to be an ingredient and the glue that binds all parties. Don't tell me it isn't illegal if it is immoral AND DISHONEST!

WebMaster Mike

Well, I'm heartened by the mature responses and feeling of genuine enthusiasm for more professional conduct [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nice to know that common sense and, perhaps more importantly, common cause, is not dead!

All the best...

Nick

Tioka Internet // Web design & SEO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    I agree with all of you about ceising all the flaming and name calling and get on with tackling the real issues. AFFILIATE****An easily identifiable hosted domain who seeks commissions for driving targeted traffic to [insert network name] merchants using trackable affiliate coded links assigned to them. In order to qualify for a commission an affiliate has to originate the trackable click from their own authorized domain or from an e-mail marketing piece identifying their authorized domain.

WebMaster Mike
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to apologize to you Mike.

I can't believe my first post here was a nasty one.

Forgive me if you would.

Aside from all that, reading post after post here, I have just ONE question that remains to be answered...

WHY in the world are all you people even associating with these networks and/or merchants that do this? I do NOT understand it at all!

I know things are going to have to change, but it appears that people are spending TOO much time on these companies meanwhile, it is hurting your business. It is apparent that the BHO's want you gone, and you are letting it happen!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>WHY in the world are all you people even associating with these networks and/or merchants that do this? I do NOT understand it at all!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those companies are a significant portion of our income. Even if they don't play fair they still account for a huge amount of money.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread