Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    For those with pets
    This was just released by JAVMA (Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association) yesterday and has the most recent updates on the pet food recall Javma Update

Just thought this would be useful to anyone who has a pet that could or is affected by the recall
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you rgrsgirl. My neice and her roommate have two cats who got some bad food and they rushed them to the vet. They're stable now.

Liz is located in Houston, and the vet office was staying open round the clock to make sure that animals were getting quick care.

What has happened to these poor animals is just terrible! It's nice to know there are Vets out there willing to take on the load!

Our dog wont and never has eaten dog food. After this recall, I am glad he doesnt. I wont mind ever again cooking a meal for him.

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Not a prob. Glad to hear your nieces cats are stable.

The veterinary community is really struggling in this. Most clinics, unless they are an emergency specialty unit (think Alameda East on Animal planet) are very understaffed.

Our clinic has seen one possible case, but the owner did not want to pay for a necropsy/toxicology report so there's no way to prove than aminopterin or any other toxin was the culprit.

BeachBDM, would you mind sharing what diet you have your dog on? There are so many out there.

In all honesty, nutrition is something I didn't focus heavily on school (I know, I'm bad) Pretty much what we focused on was the quanity and quality, and of course seeing the fact that most dog food manufacturers sponsor continuing education venues, the focus has always been on manufatured diets.

I find home diets interesting, but little study on my part has been done.

Thanks for any info

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Thanks rgrsgrl for the info.

I've had pets and specially all types of dogs all my life. Right now we have 2, a 5yr old mix and one 12 yr old rotweiler/shepard mix.

If it helps others with this non-affiliated suggestion. We have been feeding our dogs PEDIGREE dry food all their life. Glad they are not on recall list, I checked and even called incase.

I think no other dry food brands were on the list either, but just the can type/wet food type brands.

I do not own stock or know that company, just know our dogs love it.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Jorge you're correct, not all foods are made by Pet Menu.

There are many other choices.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

LOL, my dogs are on Pedigree too! It's a very high quality, affordable food.

Yes, I guess I should have mentioned that the food recall was only on wet "cuts-n-gravy" style foods manufactured by menu foods.

At our clinic, unless an animal has problems eating dry food, we recommend a dry diet because the crunching helps keep the teeth clean. Not that there's anything wrong with wet. All my animals enjoy a tasty can of gourmet yummies every now and then. Not to mention the occasional pizza crust

Every clinic is different and every DVM has a different take on nutrition, diet, preferred brands etc.
    Just hope everybody's furkids are healthy and unscathed from this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrsgrl
    BeachBDM, would you mind sharing what diet you have your dog on? There are so many out there.

In all honesty, nutrition is something I didn't focus heavily on school (I know, I'm bad) Pretty much what we focused on was the quanity and quality, and of course seeing the fact that most dog food manufacturers sponsor continuing education venues, the focus has always been on manufatured diets.

I find home diets interesting, but little study on my part has been done.

Thanks for any info
    Sure! Long story about how this evolved, but I will try to keep it short.

When we got Seabee he was about 7 weeks old, the runt of the litter, and an unexpected house guest at 10 PM. Without any other animals in the house, obviously no dog food. Poor thing was hungry, probably home sick for his momma and siblings, first thing we thought of was hotdog.

Well, hotdog went over just fine. Next morning, grocery store, petsmart, etc. purchased a couple of different puppy brands, just to see what he might like, you guessed it.....NONE. Not one of the brands would he eat. Hum...could it be he wanted a hotdog? So we waited until the end of the day, tried again with puppychow (several more brands purchased because obviously he didnt like the others) he still would not eat.

This is wear the cooking started. We go to the meat market, purchase round steak, cook in olive oil (for the coat), garlic (for the fleas) and BINGO we have ourselves a winner. Keep in mind, dog weighs only 1lb max at this time. Price is minimal, cheaper than all the wasted dog food anyway at this point. As he got older we tried different meats, pork, chicken, etc. In the meantime vet says "my goodness he is growing so well, coat is beautiful, no fleas, no worms, what are you feeding him?" Hesitant as we were we told her and thought we were really going to get a lecture on how dogs should only eat dog food. Well to our surprise and relief, I might add, she told us some other foods like starch, bone marrow, vitamins, that we should add in addition so that his intake is very well rounded. That being said as asked, following is a typical days meal. (sorry it did end up being a longer story than I thought.)

Breakfast:
    1/4 lb Pork chicken,or Steak, fried with tablespoon olive oil (coat), Garlic powder (fleas), brown or white rice (starch).

Dinner:
    same as above, as long as it isn't the same meat choice as the A.M. in addition here to round out his meal he gets some kind of vegetable as well, some of his favorites are carrots and green beans.

For teeth cleaning we use Greenies, for vitamin suppliments Vitasnack, daily dog treats with bone marrow (very important for their diet according to the vet). FYI...rarely have we had to use any type of flea or tick product, once a year max. We live at the beach and he walks it twice a day with no infestations. Again, here is where the garlic is important.

I also highly recommend regular visits to the vet. Seabee goes twice a year always has his shots up to date and is now a healthy happy almost 4 year old Jack Chi.

I know a little long, but given the opportunity, I can talk about my "Baby" all day long. I hope this helps. It's what works for us.

Sandee (whew)
    Sandra Martin

Thanks Sandee! You sound like a fabulous pet owner And Kudos to your vet for being open minded.....something that is sometimes hard to find in this industry.

If you don't mind me asking, how much garlic? A sprinkle, dash, fresh or powdered? I have never had luck with garlic, it gives one of my dogs gas I still use a top spot for fleas, but I also live in the country and we have tons of ticks too! There is nothing wrong with other methods of flea control and I'm looking into further educating myself on natural remedies for pets.

There was a study that came out not to long ago on hemolysis (I'm trying to find you a link) that linked hemolysis(the rupturing of cells) with the over use of onions and garlic, but it was more the onions. I personally put a couple dashes of garlic in my dogs homemade treats and all is good (except for the gas....lol)

You are so awesome to talk to your vet about your dogs diet! I wish we had more clients like you

Is that what that smell is? Wow, I never really thought about it. Makes sense though. All this time I thought he had more business
    to attend to!

As far as the garlic goes, just a couple dashes, sprinkles. He is still only 11 lbs so sprinkle accordingly. We use both, powdered and fresh, he doesnt seem to prefer one over the other. But NEVER, NEVER, use Garlic SALT! I am sure you already know this, but for those that would like to try this diet, never any added salt.

Thanks for the pet owner kudos! My significant other, male counter part (you get the picture) does most of the cooking and care so I will pass that along. The part he leaves to mommy (me) is the bathing! So I get to be the bad guy, and he gets to be the good guy. Darn dog knows he gets a bath on Sunday mornings! (who says they cant tell time?) So only on Sunday does he hide under the bed, smack dab in the middle of a king, so I cant reach him. Now I switch up bath days , sometimes Saturday, sometimes Sunday, and if I get home from work early enough, sometimes weekdays.

Thanks again for letting share about my Seabee-dog, again! (you didnt really think this post was going to be any shorter than my last, did you?)

Sandee
    Sandra Martin

Exclamation This just in....
    Hill's Precription Diet has just voluntarily recalled it M/D dry diet for felines.
    This diet is prescribed by veterinarians for the diabetic cat, UPC are as follows

52742 42770 4lb bag
    52742 42790 10lb bag

This was a voluntary action on Hill's part and is due to the possiblility of contaminated wheat gluten being in the food. The canned is still considered safe for consuption: Read full story

Dr.Steph just called and said we have recieved 2 calls already from conscerned owners already on the after hours emergency paging service. It's gonna be a long night, better go make some coffee.

Hils Science Diet, funny you bring them up.

The joke in the pet biz is the only science in their diet is the name.

If you look at the ingredients they are listed in the order of the highest percentage of the food included, just like people food.

Look at the first item?
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Bob, I agree with you that Hills's Science Diet, for the average pet, is not much different (although their "Light" seems to help maintain healthy weights better than any other brand) than most premium brands. I was almost fired from one clinic for suggesting Pedigree to one client that was concerned with the cost of Science Diet. I tried their senior line for a geriatric dog I own. Poor thing became so constitipated, I had to put him on canned food for a week to get relief. But I've seen other pets that have done extremely well on senior. Not all foods work for all pets, one just has to find what works best for their individual, unique animal.

The problem with this voluntary recall is that it falls in the Prescription Diet product line. These products can only be purchased through veterinarians and are designed for specific health conditions. These are conditions that through dietary change, saves owners hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year in medical costs because the food provides a "maintenance" for the pet.
    For example Hill's i/d- This food is designed for pets with irritable bowel disease. We have patients in our clinic that were on the brink of death because of malnutrition from IBD, put them on i/d and they are able to absorb the nutrients.

feline m/d has become a standard protocol for cats with diabetes. By keeping their cat on a controlled diabetic friendly diet, the owner can give less units of insulin. Therefore, save money. So here is where this recall just dropped the vet industry on it's butt. If the owner's of these diabetic cats do not switch to the canned m/d the glucose levels will not stay stable. We currently have 2 clients that are refusing to do so because of fear that the canned will be recalled too. Even after we try to explain the components of this recall, they insisted on putting their pet on a dry food that has not yet been recalled. That is their right to do so; so we try to help in the transition as best we can. So herein lies the major problem, in about 12 more hours the glucose levels in the cats that have been completely taken off m/d are going to spike and they are going to need to be hospitalized for at least 10-12 hours so we can perform a glucose curve and find the correct units of insulin to stabilize the pet. Seeing that this recall took place on Friday, that means this entire weekend clinics that are already bombarded with possible cases of renal failure are now going to start filling up with diabetic cats needing glucose curves as well. Dr. Steph is only 1 of 2 vets oncall in our county this weekend so you can imagine what this weekend is going to be like for us. Not to mention it's almost a full moon!!

The Hill's company has done by far more research on nutrition, provided more resources for veterinarians and free client education material for clinics than any other food manufacturer in the indusrty. They are very valuable to the vet business, but this weekend is about to go downHill's (ok, that was a completely corny metephor....but I have to laugh at this, otherwise I'm going to cry! This is going to be a loooong weekend)

Owners switch to natural and organic ingredients
    Amy, yes the ion diets are a great product. Not sure if Hills spends more than Purina tho?

Fallout from pet food scare, we see a huge switch over to ALL natural diets in the warehouse and online we getting many emails about natural diets.

This weekend there is pet trade show in AC (NJ), we have our purchaser there specifically seeking new all natural or organic diets to add to our inventory.

We have Evolve, Innova, Wellness

We will likely add

Evangers

Fromm

Wysong

Solid Gold

Timberwolf Organics

The food that is making some buzz now is ORIJEN this food should be in stock within 2 weeks.

Prior to the recall we had a lot of buyer resistance to the high priced naturals, no more!
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Thanks Bob for the info on the organic diets! I'm going to look at those!

I'm not to proud to say that when it comes to alot of the smaller companies that produce organic diets, we as vet staff are somewhat lacking in info. I'm glad I came to this forum and met you We have so much continuing ed to do to keep up with the ever changing medical aspect that some some subjects get put on the backburner. We need partners like you to keep us updated

On the subject of organics, I worked in a clinic a while back that the head DVM was very progressive. She carried two products that we're/are practically unheard of in this area. Have you head of these?

Breeder's Choice
    Pentacle

I saw some pretty amazing turn arounds in some specific types of ailments (mainly arthritic and allergy related) in pets that switched to these foods. Any thoughts?

Amy, you know that arthritis affects one in five dogs over the age of seven.

It is a painful condition that affects the joints and can occur in your pet’s neck, hips, shoulders, elbows and back.

William Pollak D.V.M. -"Recent studies have shown processed foods to be a factor in increasing numbers of pets suffering from cancer, arthritis, obesity, dental disease and heart disease, comments Dr. Wysong. Dull or unhealthy coats are a common problem with cats and dogs and poor diet is usually the cause, according to many veterinarians and breeders. "Dogs, cats and other animals live for years on foods that come out of bags, cans and boxes. But do these foods promote health? If they did, our companion animals would enjoy long, happy lives free of arthritis, hip dysplasia, eye problems, ear problems, fleas and other parasites, gum disease, lick granulomas, thyroid imbalances, skin and coat problems, personality disorders, birth defects, breeding problems, diabetes, cancer and other major and minor illnesses.”

Before World War II, most people fed their pets raw bones and table scraps. Today, everyone uses convenience foods, and pet food companies are industry giants. Diet isn't the only thing that has changed. So has life expectancy, with the life span of many breeds now less than half what it was two or three decades ago. Skin and coat problems are so common that we accept them as unavoidable, and today's vets routinely treat conditions that used to be unusual or even rare.

We have seen dogs that switch from a cheap dog food, when I say cheap $10 for 40lb bag of grain, meal or byproduct based food to a meat based diet make a huge turn around in their appearance and activity in 3-4 weeks.

Another thing most owners feeding low cost food don’t realize is that they need to feed more of it to maintain the weight of the dog than they would on a high quality dog food.

So the saving is not what it appears to be.

I should have more info next week from the show.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

I used to be a surgical tech for a board certified orthapedist, in the span of 6 months we had a geriatric lab rip bith of it's CCL's (the dog equivelent of a human ACL) and required surgery. When we operated for the fist time the synovial fluid in the dogs knee joint was like water. We reccomeneded the dog be put on a glucosamine fortified food. 6months later when we operated on the other knee the synovial fluid was like jelly! It was amazing! If it hadn't been for our surgical masks a person would have seen all our mouths hanging open.

I have nothing against raw food diets, except one thing. This past year alone, we had to send 3 patients to an internalist because of bowel obstructions caused by bones. One patient did not make it. It died of a rupture before surgery could be performed. It's a catch 22 for us. We have to walk a fine line when discussing dietry options to clients. All we can do is throw out options and let the owner decide, even if we don't agree with it, ultimately it's their pet. It's their choice. The veterinary code of ethics keeps us from getting out our soapboxes and saying this diet is wrong, this one works better etc. We provide options and suggestions and that's all. We can not force a treatment on a client. I know of one DVM that got out her "soapbox" and bashed The Ohio State University's pathology and oncology departments for several months because she was miffed that a report came back on tumor that wasn't what she thought it was. She lost almost 30% of her clients and was repremanded by the state board.

So as you can see, these debates about diets is putting the veterinary community in a very rough place. We are expected to "fix" these problems but yet are restricted to what the owners will allow us to do or suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Amy, you know that arthritis affects one in five dogs over the age of seven.

It is a painful condition that affects the joints and can occur in your pet’s neck, hips, shoulders, elbows and back.

William Pollak D.V.M. -"Recent studies have shown processed foods to be a factor in increasing numbers of pets suffering from cancer, arthritis, obesity, dental disease and heart disease, comments Dr. Wysong. Dull or unhealthy coats are a common problem with cats and dogs and poor diet is usually the cause, according to many veterinarians and breeders. "Dogs, cats and other animals live for years on foods that come out of bags, cans and boxes. But do these foods promote health? If they did, our companion animals would enjoy long, happy lives free of arthritis, hip dysplasia, eye problems, ear problems, fleas and other parasites, gum disease, lick granulomas, thyroid imbalances, skin and coat problems, personality disorders, birth defects, breeding problems, diabetes, cancer and other major and minor illnesses.”

Before World War II, most people fed their pets raw bones and table scraps. Today, everyone uses convenience foods, and pet food companies are industry giants. Diet isn't the only thing that has changed. So has life expectancy, with the life span of many breeds now less than half what it was two or three decades ago. Skin and coat problems are so common that we accept them as unavoidable, and today's vets routinely treat conditions that used to be unusual or even rare.

We have seen dogs that switch from a cheap dog food, when I say cheap $10 for 40lb bag of grain, meal or byproduct based food to a meat based diet make a huge turn around in their appearance and activity in 3-4 weeks.

Another thing most owners feeding low cost food don’t realize is that they need to feed more of it to maintain the weight of the dog than they would on a high quality dog food.

So the saving is not what it appears to be.

I should have more info next week from the show.
    I joined your program on Share sale, I might add it was hard to find you guys.

Are you going to post this info here?

Exclamation Purina recalls Alpo Canned
    Purina has recalled their Alpo canned Prime cuts-n-gravy

This also is on a voluntary measure. You can find all the upc codes at their site.

SWOOOSH! To the vet cave! (sorry, too much coffee this am....being silly)

Someone emailed us to ask if we pay commiss on Frontline & Advantage, I replied of course.

Are there merchants not paying on these items?
    Bob Pets Warehouse

more recalled stuff
    Eight In One, Inc., a division of United Pet Group, Cincinnati, Ohio, is voluntarily recalling nationally all lots of Dingo® brand CHICK’N JERKY treats due to Company concerns that the jerky treats have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The products affected are Dingo® brand:

CHICK’N JERKY 3.5 oz. and 8 oz. for dogs,

Kitty CHICKEN JERKY 1.5 oz.

Ferret CHICKEN JERKY 1.5 oz..

The company is voluntarily recalling these products out of an abundance of caution and to protect the health of its retail customers and their pets.

If you have questions or need further information, please contact 1-800-645-5154 x 3. Eight In One regrets any inconvenience to you and your customers that may occur as a result of this voluntary recall. We deeply appreciate your assistance with its voluntary recall and will take whatever steps it can to facilitate the return and replacement of product.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Talking
    We took our dog to the vet today and the vet said that they have now recalled dry dog food too.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    We took our dog to the vet today and the vet said that they have now recalled dry dog food too.
    Hope your bud is doing well. I'm going to take my little spoiled girl (Maya) to the vet shortly for a checkup. I think Hills Science Diet is not on the list of affected foods, nor pedegree cuts in pouches...but better safe than sorry.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Hope your bud is doing well. I'm going to take my little spoiled girl (Maya) to the vet shortly for a checkup. I think Hills Science Diet is not on the list of affected foods, nor pedegree cuts in pouches...but better safe than sorry.
    They ran blood test and etc and said that she was alright.

We were feeding her Hills Science Diet dry dog food that the vet sells. They said that they received a notice that the dry dog food had been recalled.

We changed her food to Natural Way dry dog food. It is an all natural dog food manufactured in Alabama. It is all natural with no artifical anything and no by-products.

It is chicken and rice based. You can find it at Krogers and it isn't expensive. At Krogers here it is $6.69 for a 5 pound bag. It has a picture of Lassie on the bag.

Our dog loves it and took to it right away and her stool is fine with it.

http://www.lassie.com/naturalway/natural-way-flash.htm

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast