Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Which email Client? Software, Web? Help Desk/CRM? (Advice wanted)
    I've been using Eudora Pro as my email client software for more than 10 years (paying many times over for upgrades). During the past few weeks (really for several months, ever since their upgrade to version 7.x) I have been experiencing increasingly erratic behavior by the program. It did not surprise me to learn today that the company has announced that it is discontinuing the "paid" version of Eudora. (They announced that the program will be released to the "open source" community, but I'm not optimistic that there is a community ready to take on updates for this program.)

It is now clear that it's time for to switch to some other solution for reading and storing email. I would prefer not to use Microsoft Outlook, specifically because it is the number one target of email viruses, trojans, and other exploits -- but I will be reluctantly re-evaluating it as part of this process. I will also be considering pure web-based email solutions, though I've not yet seen anything powerful enough. I will also consider "help desk" or "CRM" software with a robust email component.

I definitely need something that can handle a lot of "filters" or "rules" -- so that incoming email can be filtered into many different folders. It's also important that it have a powerful and flexible search function. I also need the ability to have multiple "identies" or "personalities" (for example, one for my primary email address ("markwelch at markwelch dot com"), and another for emails that come through clients, such as "affiliates at quoteproducts dot com" -- these each have a separate mail server and login.

What do you use? What do you recommend? What problems have you had with specific email client software in the past? Which programs have you used that you advise me to avoid?

All advice is welcome. (As always, never post "affiliate links" to any merchant here.)

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I've been using Eudora Pro as my email client software for more than 10 years (paying many times over for upgrades). During the past few weeks (really for several months, ever since their upgrade to version 7.x) I have been experiencing increasingly erratic behavior by the program. It did not surprise me to learn today that the company has announced that it is discontinuing the "paid" version of Eudora. (They announced that the program will be released to the "open source" community, but I'm not optimistic that there is a community ready to take on updates for this program.)

It is now clear that it's time for to switch to some other solution for reading and storing email. I would prefer not to use Microsoft Outlook, specifically because it is the number one target of email viruses, trojans, and other exploits -- but I will be reluctantly re-evaluating it as part of this process. I will also be considering pure web-based email solutions, though I've not yet seen anything powerful enough. I will also consider "help desk" or "CRM" software with a robust email component.

I definitely need something that can handle a lot of "filters" or "rules" -- so that incoming email can be filtered into many different folders. It's also important that it have a powerful and flexible search function. I also need the ability to have multiple "identies" or "personalities" (for example, one for my primary email address ("markwelch at markwelch dot com"), and another for emails that come through clients, such as "affiliates at quoteproducts dot com" -- these each have a separate mail server and login.

What do you use? What do you recommend? What problems have you had with specific email client software in the past? Which programs have you used that you advise me to avoid?

All advice is welcome. (As always, never post "affiliate links" to any merchant here.)
    Outlook 2007 those exploits from the Office 2000 days are gone and just like any mail client if you download an attachment from an unknown source you're at risk of getting a virus.

I have been using outlook 2007/12 with no problems for over a year.

Every mail client is vunerable to attack, thunderbird isn't an exception.

Mack - I appreciate the link. I assume that you use the program and are happy with it? When I checked the Mozilla Thunderbird web site, I can find no mention of any capability to create separate mail "folders" and "subfolders," nor to create filters or rules to put mail into folders, nor to create multiple identities or personalities. I am reluctant to download and install a program without knowing if these capabilities are actually offered.

HardwareGeek -- I am actually still using MS Office 2000 (not often, but regularly using Excel and Access). I assume that in order to upgrade to Outlook 2007, I'd need to upgrade my entire MS Office suite, so that's a cost and bloat factor. But as I said, I do plan to evaluate it as an option.

I find it much more economical to upgrade to a new computer rather than upgrade Microsoft products. The upgrades are outrageously expensive, and it's usually only marginally more expensive to buy a new computer.

I use Outlook and am satisfied with it. I have extensive filtering and folders in it, plus I use an add-on package called Email Templates, which is handy for answering common questions that I receive. I use spam filtering through RBLs on my mail server and both Cloudmark and Outlook's internal spam filter options. I'm not overly displeased or happy with Outlook, but have no plans on switching to anything else. A good CRM would be tempting.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think Thunderbird offers everything you want, you can check their knowledgebase for answers to your questions:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird

To answer one of them, in the front page http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ it states "...advanced message filtering round out Thunderbird's modern feature set."

P.S. I still use Outlook Express myself, but as a faithful Firefox user, I've been thinking about switching to Thunderbird.

I use The Bat! Like it. Cannot say that I 100% love it. So this is a good thread for me to follow too...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Mack I can find no mention of any capability to create separate mail "folders" and "subfolders,"

nor to create filters or rules to put mail into folders,

nor to create multiple identities or personalities.
    Yes, you can create multiple folders, subfolders, even on a per identity basis, so yes to multiple identities. I use it to check multiple accounts on multiple domains. Just make sure you uncheck the "use global inbox" when creating an ID. I have filters that auto-drop into folders, mark as read, etc.

It is full featured. What I like most about it are the addons. They help. Glance through this:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

"Every mail client is vunerable to attack, thunderbird isn't an exception." is a true statement. I will say they do react quickly.

The client and the addons can be config'd to auto update as well.

Suggestion: Setup a few test accounts on multiple domains and types. 1 IMAP, 1 POP3, 1-gmail, etc., and use those to test different clients. It's what I did when evaluating so it didn't mess with my real mail, and ended up with Mozilla.

If you do go Tbird, it will auto-import all of your existing mail and settings (if you want it to). If you do that, add in your addons first, as it will import into those as well.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I'll back up the Thunderbird suggestions..

I prefer keeping mail server-based, via Yahoo client to pop accounts. I don't want mail on my PC, which is probably the most likely link in the chain to fail at one time or another.

If you want to consider the Office 2007 option
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...4511033.aspx#1

For CRM/helpdesk type solutions look at SugarCRM or SplendedCRM. I know both have email components, but their forte is CRM/Helpdesk/Project Management.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    ... Cloudmark and Outlook's internal spam filter options.
    I can vouch that cloudmark rocks. Once you set it up, it is not a big hassle to tackle the spam.

As for virus, all programs are prone to it but some are highly targeted cos it's a microsoft product and is widely used. You just need to have a good virus scanner in place (plus get updates for it) cos that saved me a couple of times.

MS Outlook user.

If you do not want to pay, use Outlook express. very limited functions but it get the job done of sending/receiving email

I almost forgot about virus protection. I used to have client-based virus protection, but I got hit especially bad once with thousands of large emails per day, which really slowed me down. I found and installed "clamav" on my server, and now almost all of my virus filtering is done on the server so I never even see it. It automatically updates daily. I also use AVG in Outlook, but only a handful get past clamav, so it's fairly minor.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

hey upgrade to Vista and use the new Windows mail, way better tan outlook express.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    hey upgrade to Vista and use the new Windows mail, way better tan outlook express.
    I hear Vista is a mega memory eater what are your thoughts on that?
    What precautions should people take with the memory?

I attended a lecture at a community college where "Transition Guide to Microsoft Office 2007" was given out but I didn't open the package yet.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Vista is a memory hog - as is Office. But that goes along with the feature set. As time goes on operating systems and applications are going to get large and be 'memory hogs' as features are added.

I would not worry so much about the memory as how the machine responds when I want it to do something.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Vista is a memory hog - as is Office. But that goes along with the feature set. As time goes on operating systems and applications are going to get large and be 'memory hogs' as features are added.

I would not worry so much about the memory as how the machine responds when I want it to do something.
    Vista is no more of a memory hog than XP in fact Vista on my system uses less memory than XP did and Word, Outlook, and Excel use 30,000 K less memory combined than one Instance of Firefox with 2 tabs open on my system. Vista is a cpu hog and even then it isn't bad only 23% while idle on my system it's far from memory hog.

want to talk about memoy hog, FF 2.0 and higher.

I'm afraid of vista. Don't want to upgrade now.

Oh, I forgot to plug Zoho. Their CRM is nice and powerful, and they have other collaboration tools as well.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    I'm a faithful Eudora user and have no plans to switch at this time, I have several separate installs to handle mail from key accounts, something I can't do with Outlook. I looked at Thunderbird and for the amount of filters I use and installs that I have, it wouldn't work.

Mark, I thought the announcement was that Eudora and Thunderbird were going to be partnered.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Debbie, it sounds as if you haven't experienced problems -- are you using version 7.1.0.9? (I'm considering de-installing and trying to install a prior version, until I can find a substitute.)

The only thing I know about the "announcement" is what's posted at eudora.com -- "EudoraŽ email moves to open source development and delivers final commercial version -- Eudora 7.1 for Windows and 6.2.4 for Mac OSX. // The open source version of EudoraŽ is targeted to be released during the 2007 calendar year and will be free of charge. Until April 30, 2007, the current commercial versions are available for the reduced price of $19.95 with a six-month period of technical support. After April 30th, QUALCOMM will cease sales of Paid mode Eudora, while Sponsored mode will continue to be available in version 7.1 for Windows and 6.2.4 for Mac."

Of course, I had just paid to upgrade at the old price, but as I've noted, the price you pay seems to be irrelevant now -- I am not getting any responses from tech support (other than the initial automated response). Qualcomm also posted to its own user-support forum that its employees would no longer monitor or respond to posts there.

It took me nearly 20 minutes to "cancel" my way through many dozens of "buffer overflow" messages. A few minutes later, after I'd exited Eudora and cleaned out my inbox and trash completely (and deleted those mailboxes), when I reloaded Eudora it restored about a dozen spam emails in the inbox -- these did not come from my server, but from apparently from a hidden spool file (but not from the spool file identified in earlier postings on the Eudora forum).

I definitely appreciate your comments about Thunderbird's filtering being inadequate for your use -- that's just knocked Thunderbird off my evaluation list completely.

NOth - Re: Zoho - it looks like they quite a complete set of tools. Do they integrate well i.e. can I buy their CRM and email tool and use them with one login?
    ---
    ---

ABW Ambassador
    I use thunderbird and I have never had the problems I had with Outlook. Even though you have knocked it off your list I would recommend it to others who may read this thread. It does do everything you asked plus a lot more & it does run filters, I run several filters on it.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast