OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Affiliate Networks - Why Bigger Isn't Always Better
    This is an article that discusses the benefits of small networks over big ones. I thought it was very well written and insightful for newbies as well as current members. It also mentions two people who I have the highest respect for and denotes one of my biggest frustrations.

Affiliate Networks - Why Bigger Isn't Always Better

Great article...I never knew before that affiliates didn't like the bigger networks, until I found this site. I am going to start working with ShareASale.com (I actually got an email from them today to move forward).

One question...why don't affiliates just ask the AM's at larger merchants to sign up with other networks?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Why Bigger Isn't Always Better
    I tired explaining this to my ex-girlfriend and she was never convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by love2AM
    One question...why don't affiliates just ask the AM's at larger merchants to sign up with other networks?
    That's a whole different can of worms. If you just signed on to Shareasale, look for the Shareasale Exclusive merchants. Search around this forum more and you'll see why. Multiple networks = multiple nightmares.

I just signed on with SaS not to long ago. I haven't really focused on it yet and haven't done anything over there but that's about to change. I'm so burnt on LS and CJ I wish I could just migrate in a day, but it would be a nightmare.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Big companies feel they have to run with the big networks. Its hard to get a large merchant to consider going with the smaller guys. But, its usually the AM who has to deal with the lack of support from the big network. LinkShare also requires exclusivity so you will have to end that contract first. There is also the difficulty of tracking multiple networks. We have worked that out with AvantLink and program the website to recognize the referring url then only place the appropriate cookie and tracking pixel. It is much easier to resolve technical issues with a smaller network because they are willing to work directly with you.

"I tired explaining this to my ex-girlfriend and she was never convinced."

(I don't know how to use the quote option or I don't have privileges yet)

---Anyways---then you post it on the internet---LOL, too funny.

Thanks for the info..Always learning.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    Chuck, for the past two weeks we've been reviewing SAS and Avantlink in depth. Pets Warehouse is phasing out our in house affiliate program and wanted to recommend to our valued affiliates where to go so we can continued our biz relationship with them.

We also for the second time spoke with LS & CJ, since '04 they remain overpriced for merchants seeking to be led by the nose with deep pockets.

We've been a member of SAS since '03 and we all know there attributes.

Gary & Scott, Avantlink are nice guys to work with, I would at this point in time say that these guys get my nod as having the better options and functionality for both the merchant and affiliate.

Now we can offer our affiliates two great options to migrate our program.

Avantlink or SAS, same commissions, coupons and database feeds will be availible.

Smaller is better except when asking ex girl friends
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by love2AM
    Linkshare is an exclusive network, meaning if you are on Linkshare, you cannot be with another network.

Good article. I wonder why they left out Google as an example. Anyway, I think there are pros and cons to any/every network (as with everything). I have total respect for SAS and Avantlink and I have even encouraged merchants that talk to me to check them out.

At present, Linkshare is meeting my needs and they are sure listening to affiliates and merchants cos they are just deploying new things that makes it easier for everybody. Migrating from one network to another is brutal for the affiliates and merchants.

I was coming here to send you a message when I saw this post.

I saw my "today's hits" to my personal domain and was like WTF? I thought I was looking at the monthly total, but it was "today" at 115. My daily is normally like 3-4 tops, which is why I was confused. Then I saw all the StumbleUpon referers, that clued me in.

Glad you liked it enough to post about it, in multiple places. Being a blog post I kind of rambled through it quickly, or else I could go on all day. Thanks for giving me some "props" (I'm stuck on words at the moment).

Eric, if I could rant on Google, I'd post 30-40 times a day, and run out of time each day. But what exactly was missing about them? Just curious. Might give me something to talk about. But I just don't consider them in the same area as CJ, LS, SAS, AvantLink and the like.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    I was coming here to send you a message when I saw this post.

I saw my "today's hits" to my personal domain and was like WTF? I thought I was looking at the monthly total, but it was "today" at 115. My daily is normally like 3-4 tops, which is why I was confused. Then I saw all the StumbleUpon referers, that clued me in.

Glad you liked it enough to post about it, in multiple places. Being a blog post I kind of rambled through it quickly, or else I could go on all day. Thanks for giving me some "props" (I'm stuck on words at the moment).

Eric, if I could rant on Google, I'd post 30-40 times a day, and run out of time each day. But what exactly was missing about them? Just curious. Might give me something to talk about. But I just don't consider them in the same area as CJ, LS, SAS, AvantLink and the like.
    Ahh we found the content writer now

As i mentioned, good work on the article.
    Still think you should have thrown in Google as an example when you mentioned the big dogs..
    (just picking on ya)

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    This is an article that discusses the benefits of small networks over big ones.
    Thanks Chuck great find and article by Shawn.

Shawn agree with you on all of that and specially this part:

"This is another area where the smaller networks like ShareASale and Avantlink shine. See, while they like to make a dollar just like anyone else, they don't jeopardize their principles by letting parasites into their networks."

Merchants - Pick one: ShareASale / Avantlink. They both made our stratigic partners list for many reasons, but the above is just one of them.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Jorge, so I guess you got together with Gary. I told you they had a nice network and backend.

Which features did you like the best?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Bigger networks may not be better, but bigger networks have bigger Merchants.

The real question is why do attract them in the first place?

It must be the marketing and handholding they may offer to justifiy their bigger sign up fees.

I signed up for some data feeds, Linkshop wanted $250 from me why when they get I heard $10,000 from a merchant to join?

Figured I'd bump an old post rather than start a new one.

I always figured StumbleUpon was a one time surge, and then from then on it was a slight trickle in traffic (like it has been since Chuck first stumbled that blog post in March). I got proven wrong today, there's been 262 hits so far with a couple of hours before midnight and my today's stats reset. That entire domain gets an average of about 5 hits a day.

Too bad it's to something that makes no money, lol.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread