Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Need A Word Processor That's Not MS Word
    For my primary job, I oversee an editorial staff. They write the articles in MS Word because of the spell and grammar checkers. The problem is that Word uses it's own punctuation symbols and these are causing havoc with our XML feeds. Not to mention the fact that Mozilla hates them.

So, I'm looking for another Word processor. My guys are doing the most basic of html, so I don't need an HTML editor. Rather, I need something that can create a true text document, but still spell and grammar check.

We're all running XP or Vista.

Any suggestions?

Gotta agree with Mack. OpenOffice.org is the way to go. Not to mention the package also contains their version of Excel spreadsheet, Powerpoint presentation, Access database, etc. They have different names for them of course.

Nice package. And you can't beat the price.

John

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Yep OpenOffice is killer.. large download but worth it and as John said can't beat the price

I was looking at Open Office earlier today. If something is created in open office, can it be saved as a pure text document?

The issue with MS Word is the quotation marks and apostrophes that it uses. Obviously, if open office does the same thing, then it's not worth it, regardless the lack of monetary cost.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    yes you can save as .txt

It sounds like your issue has nothing to do with MS Word - it has to do with the format you are saving - the default one. You can save it in many formats with MS word. Save it as plain text. You get all of the MS word features and your output can be .txt
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

sounds like you should update the unicode on the servers those XML Feeds are on. A sign a server isn't properly updated is when it displays can’t insead of can't

Server may also be properly updated but the software your using may not.

ABW Ambassador
    http://docs.google.com the collaborate options are cool, you can save as word docs if you need to.

It is surprisingly full featured and everyone can work on the same docs from anywhere without having to mail them around. Even does some revision handling stuff, at least worth checking out.

Chet

I wouldn't recomend google for a work enviorment.

I never liked this part of their TOS

"Google reserves the right to syndicate Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through Google services and use that Content in connection with any service offered by Google. Google furthermore reserves the right to refuse to accept, post, display or transmit any Content in its sole discretion.
    "

Interesting HG - I use them all of the time and I suppose I should pay more attention. I have a couple of speeches going on there about Toastmasters right now, and I keep my business plan and other documents on there all of the time. It is the only happy place I can find where I can get to things (email, docs, spreadsheets) all of the time and not carry around a laptop every place I go.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ABW Ambassador
    Mike is that phrase actually attached to google docs? Because I have never seen that in the privacy policy, nor do I think any reasonable company would include that when pertaining to private data. Google allows you to share or keep private your data with google docs.

Thats not in the privacy policy it is in the Terms of Use. At the page you linked, go to the footer.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Thats not in the privacy policy it is in the Terms of Use. At the page you linked, go to the footer.
    Those terms would make me think twice about using their service.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Let's not take the quote out of context...

Google claims no ownership or control over any Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through Google services. You or a third party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark and copyright to any Content you submit, post or display on or through Google services and you are responsible for protecting those rights, as appropriate. By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through Google services which are intended to be available to the members of the public, you grant Google a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, adapt, modify, publish and distribute such Content on Google services for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting Google services. Google reserves the right to syndicate Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through Google services and use that Content in connection with any service offered by Google. Google furthermore reserves the right to refuse to accept, post, display or transmit any Content in its sole discretion.
    Chet

I currently use Ms Word. But does OpenOffice offer anything special that I can't find in Word? I mean is it really better than word ?

OO is not better despite what arguments you may hear. It is a different option available to get the same job done.
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    It sounds like your issue has nothing to do with MS Word - it has to do with the format you are saving - the default one. You can save it in many formats with MS word. Save it as plain text. You get all of the MS word features and your output can be .txt
    Actually, the issue is worth Word. The program uses non-standard punctuation marks that carry over even when you save something as text - unless you save it as unicode text, which then shows all of the punctuation as question marks.

Another vote for Open Office. It isn't better, but it sure is free-er
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    I use OOo because it's free with a very short learning curve. There are some compatibility hiccups, but it works well enough. I even like the relatively lightweight .ODT format for storing large docs on my puny 256m thumbdrive.

Honestly, there's no reason to pirate software licenses when free alternatives are available.

Quote Originally Posted by weisinator
    Honestly, there's no reason to pirate software licenses when free alternatives are available.
    Absolutely agree. I took the dive to OO in my quest to wean myself from the MS teat. One day I may be so bold as to make the jump into *nix. I've got a box running Debian right now that I dabble with, but I haven't convinced myself to completely leave my comfort zone.

OO has done everything that I need for it to, and I have never had any problems with it. And, as has been mentioned, the price fits into almost any budget .
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but I'd like to recommend OpenOffice.org as well.

My wife's computer came pre-installed with Office, but we misplaced the Office CDs with the registration codes on them. Office won't run until it's registered. She had never needed it, so it was never a priority to try to get replacement CDs/codes. Last week, she needed to write a couple letters, so I installed OpenOffice.org. The compenents I looked at looked as functional as the corresponding Office components (and even more so in some areas). You can save in numerous formats (including Word format). You can even easily export to PDF. I couldn't see any functionality that was missing, and there were numerous extra features that aren't in Office.

I've always bought Microsoft Office for all of my laptops (a new one just about every two years), but I don't plan on ever buying it again. OpenOffice.org will work just fine for me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I use something called AbiWord on linux - somehow I find that it's easier to use than OOo 's writer - there is a windows version available too.

You might also want to try out the Zoho writer if you are looking for a web-app alternative but don't like google's ToS.

Links:
    http://www.abiword.com/
    http://www.zoho.com/
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Affiliate Manager
    I also love open office. two points to bring up, one, it opens everything but ms 07, you still need the converter. two, while it has a ppt feature, i wasn't thrilled with all the functionality.

but overall, great product.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    OpenOffice is cool. I've used it without any problem. I like the interface better than the newer versions of MS Word.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast