ABW Ambassador
    I have been shocked when visiting Morpheus and eBates web sites to see how many merchants are partnered with them.

To this end, I have decided to write a free database application listing all merchants associated with these pirates. This software will allow you to search for offenders by company name to see if one you want to promote is a member of one of these parasites. Also, with e-mail addresses of the merchants so that you can prepare a standard letter to merchants. Check off the merchants you want to send it to, and mailshot the lot from within the program.

I also want to have a section of parasite free merchants within the program for easy reference.

Additionally a test purchases style database.

I am requesting that if anyone is interested in receiving this software, you help me with a list of things you would like to see it capable of. What information do you want stored? What info would you like to be able to search for.

I repeat this will be free (and no, I won't be planting spyware in it) but I do need suggestions.

I plan to make the databases updatable, so help in adding info to the database would also be appreciated.

If you can think of any reason why this software might be a bad idea, please let me know. I live in Spain so cannot phone merchants in US. I just want to do my bit to fight the goof fight.

Suggestions?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Also would like a kind of history of parasites. How they worked then and how they work now.

Will have a detection system built in to the program to check for parasites. This will be based solely on freely available scripts, so if anyone can tell me of the best one available, I will use that.

Andy Williams

Hi Andy,
    In need of a perfect domain name for this...?
    Just saw today that the name dupers.com was free, if you like it i will register it for you and hand it over.
    (If it is still free...)
    P.
    let me know here....

ABW Ambassador
    Mokum
    Thanks. Indeed a find. I would have been tempted, but would like to get the program up and running and see if there is interest before spending any cash. Domains like this do not come along very often but I think it has gone?

Andy Williams

I think the best thing to do is create an online/web program instead of an installable EXE.

With an online program, we can ALL help keep the database up to date by adding new dupers, removing old dupers that have changed their ways, updating new contact information.

The only way this will work is if the database stays completely up to date.

Just my 2 cents,

Dan

Also, with the online application, each merchant could have a history log attached to them that could contain entries from people like us.

i.e. 10/15/02: Freecloud - Contacted XYZ person at company and explained the parasite situation. They had never heard of it. Said they would look into it, etc...

Every time someone contacts the merchant they would add another entry to the log so we can keep track of our communications with them. At least they won't be able to come back and say that they were not aware...

http://freecloud.com/

ABW Ambassador
    I do not have the expertise to do an online job. I feel that an EXE would be valuable though so people can have info on their own machine.

Keeping up to date is a problem, but users could possibly update stuff and send it to me for importing (if software allowed easy importing/exporting of info which is not a problem). Any updates would have to be vetteed anyway, as companies could decide to add their names to the clean list just to get into affiliate good books. Needs some thinking about. Not even sure if there is an interested audience for this piece of software, but if there is I will do it.

If anyone want to do an online version then I will ahppily step aside.

Andy Williams

Umm,
    Was checking deleteddomains.com and saw it there, but probable already taken. dupers.info is still free...

Umm,
    Was checking deleteddomains.com and saw it there, but probable already taken. dupers.info is still free...
    But back to the point, i do think it will be usefull as many, included me are leazy to email merchants towards this issue. If anything can be standarized it will help a lot. And seemingly emailing is the way to go.
    Pete

ABW Ambassador
    How about this as a solution to updating:

I could have areas in the program where users could submit updates for specific merchants/parasites etc. These would come to me ina special e-mail format and I could run a separate "integration software" on them. This would update all necessary areas and I could upload updates once per week or whenever there is sufficient updated info. Users of the main program could have an auto-check for updates, or manual check for updates option. On starting after an update, I would envisage the software highlighting all recent events in terms of who has gone clean, who has turned to the dark side etc.

Regarding e-mailshoting. This would be more practical in an .exe rather than web based solution, as web based would quickly exceed bandwidth if this site did become popular. With an EXE, this would not be a problem. I could see having an area on the web site where people could upload letter templates for importing into their program. Not all of us are Wordsworths.

IMO, an EXE has the advantage over a web based solution in that it would be on your desktop - a constant reminder. THerefore you are more likely to do something about it.

Andy Williams

ABW Ambassador
    I admire your dedication but agree that a desktop exe isn't the best idea. Why?

Information input needs to be shared and "almost" immediately available. This implies the need for an online app.

I say "almost" because I certainly wouldn't do an online app that allowed anyone to change the data either. It would become useless so fast you wouldn't believe it.

I'm all for sharing information and eliminating duplicate efforts but it seems based on information I posted and requested in this forum, my observation is that very few are actually willing to donate time to fight the cause in a dedictated and organized fashion.

This leaves you with an opportunity to do a bunch of work yourself that few people will use or help you with.

We remain unorganized!

Hey, if anyone else wants to sign up to help with this effort so we could better organize and fight this, please say so. Please state what you're willing to do specifically too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Happypoon
    If there is someone who can program a web version and get it to work with updates etc fine. I cannot.

If there is not enough interest in this I certainly wont start writing this. I have far too many pages to build and other programming work to do. Just wanted to do my bit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Andy Williams

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread