Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Sandra WHERE YOU BEEN?!!

Good to see ya, even if only to ***** about CP.
    Well, I don't know. Just doing the stuff of life type stuff. I think I neede a break from AM and datafeeds. Total burn out.

But, I am starting to get back into it a bit. But, I will probably never do like I did before. Enough is enough.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey ssanf, you're allowed to retire or scale back. Just stop by from time to time and holler so we know you haven't forgotten us.

Got your garden started yet? How's that rhubarb coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Hey ssanf, you're allowed to retire or scale back. Just stop by from time to time and holler so we know you haven't forgotten us.

Got your garden started yet? How's that rhubarb coming?
    Kentucky is the true land of milk and honey!
    I just can't believe how the garden is growing!

I put some Zinnia seeds out YESTERDAY and today they already have germinated and have the first two leaves! How is it even possible?

The things I planted just last week are taking off like gang busters. It is absolutely phenomenal.

I will definitely have some stuff to munch on by early next month and I was eating things from the garden as late as last December when I was still harvesting late broccoli. Nine whole months of fresh garden food in Kentucky.

I am in the promised land. I am, indeed, in the promised land.

Well, except for that damned groundhog who already got 15 cabbage plants! He thinks he is in the promised land too!

Here are some of the things already germinated and/or starting to grow. It is less than what I coud have.

Carrots
    Peas
    Garlic
    Onions
    Lettuce
    Arugula
    Broccoli
    Cabbage (stolen)
    Swiss Chard
    Lambs Quarters
    Turnips
    Beets
    Spinach
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Radishes
    Potatoes would be but I haven't gotten to them.

And, this is STILL March!

I seeded the herbs this week. I feel like I seeded almost every medicinal and culinary herb known to mankind!

I may plant squashes, beans and early corn this week. And, I need to get those potatoes down. I need to reseed the Amaranth. Rushing things, I know, but what the heck? Looks like that kind of a year to me.

The forecast for the next 10 days promises 5 days with some rain!

Yes!!! That does NOT mean it will rain all day long every day. The rain will come and go. There will be plenty of time each day it rains to sit in the after rain coolness on the porch and enjoy it.

Soon this garden should look like a tropical rain forest. Between storms, I can get down anything still left to plant. Boy, did I time it right or what? I am so thrilled. Catching the spring rains at just the right time can really make the garden for you. It helps finish warming the soil and causes the seeds to germinate.

Assuming no late frost, and I don't think there will be one this year, it will be Eden here. After this coming 10 days which are supposed to be mild, we will be very close to passing the normal last frost date. Sure, I could get pounded by a late frost big time. But, I just don't think it will happen this year. I think it is worth the risk!

This is last year. There is a bit more than shown in the pics.
    http://mycontentgenerator.com/SSanfs_Garden_2006.htm

This year will be better!

And, I finished a site I have been planning today!

So, are you glad you asked?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. I HATE CJ!
    Last edited by SSanf; March 30th, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

What a beautiful garden ! It looks to me like you made it into a paradise with a lot of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    What a beautiful garden ! It looks to me like you made it into a paradise with a lot of hard work.
    It gets easier every year.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yeah, I'm glad I asked. Lately even when you do stop in you don't have much to say so I thought...hmmm...what will get her going? Oh yeah, she LOVES that garden. (It is a beautiful garden. What's that big plant to the right of the shed?)

So when are you gonna plant tomatoes? Around here we don't dare put them in the ground until Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Yeah, I'm glad I asked. Lately even when you do stop in you don't have much to say so I thought...hmmm...what will get her going? Oh yeah, she LOVES that garden. (It is a beautiful garden. What's that big plant to the right of the shed?)

So when are you gonna plant tomatoes? Around here we don't dare put them in the ground until Memorial Day.
    Oh, that is orange Amaranth. It is a nice little grain that you can use for a lot of things. You can get it in assorted colors.

The plant in the pot is Stevia which is a jim dandy substitute for sugar in mint or lemon drinks. No calories! I tried and tried to propagate babies from it with no luck at all. However, it wintered over in the house so it should be real big this year. The leaves are as sweet as sugar candy.

I got 24 plastic Easter baskets on sale last year after Easter for a dime a piece. I have them filled with dirt and planted with Basil, Sage and Parsley. I am planning on giving them as Beltane gifts to my friends this year.

Did I mention that I HATE CJ?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Sandra,

Your garden sounds like a perfect refuge! Can we all come live with you? LOL

One more thing:

START A GARDENING BLOG!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I hate writing. I don't have anything to say. I just feed off other people when they say something. Other people do it better and know much more.

It is so sweet that you want to live with me but this is so sudden. I am all a fluster!

Uh, you know I HATE CJ, right?

No response....

That must have been a deal killer.

ANOTHER REASON TO HATE CJ!!

Sorry to interrupt the thread so much. Please, carry on.

http and a telephoto
    I used to have a garden... maybe I can have a container garden this summer.... My patio has *some* shade.... but they have to like *heat*... wow whole new climate to learn...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The plant in the pot is Stevia which is a jim dandy substitute for sugar
    I know about Stevia, but DUH, it never occured to me I could grow it! How did you get yours if it won't make babies? did you get it as a plant or a seed?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    ...My patio has *some* shade.... but they have to like *heat*...
    You can have a fabulous garden in the desert, without any shade, with cacti and succulents. You should be able to find hundreds of varieties, many of which produce amazing flowers.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    You can have a fabulous garden in the desert, without any shade, with cacti and succulents. You should be able to find hundreds of varieties, many of which produce amazing flowers.
    Looking forward to looking around for them
    Deborah Carney

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    ...did you get it as a plant or a seed?
    Since SSanf hasn't responded, I'll chime in. You can grow it from seeds, but it is very difficult, and you would have no guarantee of the stevioside level of the plant that would be produced. You should start with a small plant, that has a high stevioside level in the leaves, so that the full-grown plant will have a high enough sweetness level to be useable as a sweetner.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I know about Stevia, but DUH, it never occured to me I could grow it! How did you get yours if it won't make babies? did you get it as a plant or a seed?
    Oh, hi again.

I got mine at the local food co-op as a plant. When I saw that, I grabbed it and RAN to the check out! It was the only one they had and I haven't seen another. But, I think you can order them online some places. I am not sure where but I have seen them for sale.

I have tried rooting leaves, rooting cuttings, rooting hormones, etc. but no luck so far. (And, if you have ever tried to root a hormone, you know how tough that is!)

My two hens are laying, now so, I guess, I won't go hungry
    http://mycontentgenerator.com/SSanfs_Chickens_2006.htm

Unfortunately, two of my hens turned out to be transsexuals and turned into roosters! So, they are just freeloaders.
    Last edited by SSanf; March 31st, 2007 at 12:28 AM.

Oooooooo the baby birds are sweet!

Sandra, we pretty much derailed Ojmoo's original thread (sorry OJ) but I'd rather talk about you than CJ and CP's blunder.

I really think you could do very well with a gardening blog. Make it fun. Writing doesn't have to be a chore and you write well. I wouldn't do it so much if it wasn't fun. Everyone who's been posting about your garden in this thread can then go post stuff in your blog, instead. Fr*e c*ntent! ;-)

OK, now back on topic - who wants to continue the CP rant?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Oooooooo the baby birds are sweet!

Sandra, we pretty much derailed Ojmoo's original thread (sorry OJ) but I'd rather talk about you than CJ and CP's blunder.

I really think you could do very well with a gardening blog. Make it fun. Writing doesn't have to be a chore and you write well. I wouldn't do it so much if it wasn't fun. Everyone who's been posting about your garden in this thread can then go post stuff in your blog, instead. Fr*e c*ntent! ;-)

OK, now back on topic - who wants to continue the CP rant?
    If someone wants to move my digression to ABestWeb Virtual Family, I won't mind.

I used to have a garden... maybe I can have a container garden this summer.... My patio has *some* shade.... but they have to like *heat*... wow whole new climate to learn...
    If you are going for container gardening, here is a link telling how to make your own small "Topsy Turvy Planter" on the cheap. I guess you can hang them anywhere you can hang stuff.
    http://ohcripes.com/?page_id=47

And, here is another style of topsy turvy planter.
    http://www.casagarden.com/grow.html Something like that would give humans some shade as well. And more at http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/tomato2.html
    "The benefits of upside-down gardening are huge: no weeding, no staking, no pruning & no recurring disease". But, they are more vulnerable to wind and storms. And, you need to water them daily.

Here is how to create your own home made "Earthbox". I understand Earthboxes are excellent for container gardens. But they do cost an arm and a leg.
    http://www.josho.com/Earthbox.htm

I bet you could rig those earth boxes with their own little sun shades.

P.S. Use potting mixture and not potting soil. Potting soil is too heavy.

Also, it is well worth buying compost by the pick-up truck full. If you ask contractors, they know where it is cheap. Most places here sell retail for $22 a cubic yard but I got it for $10. That is only $20 for a whole pick-up truck full of it! But, you need to find the cheap place in your neighborhood. Watch out that you don't get taken for a ride on your dirt!
    Last edited by SSanf; March 31st, 2007 at 09:06 AM.

Good luck with your patio. With any luck, you can turn it into Shangri-La or the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!

Added: Tubs are great for growing a lot of different kinds of mint. The problem with mint is that it is very invasive. Tubs keeps it confined where you want it. I guess it would work with most invasive plants that you really want but tend to avoid like the plagues they are.
    Last edited by SSanf; March 31st, 2007 at 09:29 AM.

http and a telephoto
    Thread split!!! Let's talk gardening!!!
    Deborah Carney

Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Thanks for the split!

Yeah! Anyone else got pics?

ABW Ambassador

Now you are talking...

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    All I have to say is that either those pictures are not really of SSanf's garden or she doesn't actually live in Kentucky. If it was Kentucky, there would be hills in the background and/or at least one sign somewhere that has the name "Daniel Boone" someplace on it.

Or, if she really wants to show it's Kentucky she could include somebody in the picture that shows obvious signs of inbreeding or with one leg that is shorter than the other (results from all those generations being raised on the side of mountains).

As a Hoosier who lived in Kentucky for 3 years, I know these things.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast