Linkshare vs. Commission Junction
    just started evaluating Linkshare and Commission junction and trying to figure out what company I would want to work with as an AFFILIATE. Any thoughts or suggestions? Just want to get paid good commissions on time, have good support and feel secure about my residuals. Also having a good system in place is also keep.

ABW Ambassador
    Your success will depend on which MERCHANTS you affiliate with, not which network they use. There are pros and cons to each of the networks. Neither Linkshare nor Commission Junction excel at affiliate support.

ABW Ambassador
    Between those 2, CJ.

Can you elaborate as to why?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    There are pros and cons to each of the networks.
    well said.

spend some time talking to those companies (but take everything with a pinch of salt). Research online on ABW and also elsewhere.

Both are the 800lbs gorilla on the block. I do not know about CJ but I can tell you that LS has come a long way this year. I think somebody is listening more to affiliates and merchants and released lots of tools and/or clean up their act (i.e. RSS/login).

As an affiliate, why not work with both?

Both have a lot of great merchants.

Both are listening better than in the past.

Both offer consolidated payments and direct deposit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    just started evaluating Linkshare and Commission junction and trying to figure out what company I would want to work with as an AFFILIATE. Any thoughts or suggestions? Just want to get paid good commissions on time, have good support and feel secure about my residuals. Also having a good system in place is also keep.
    May want to expand your choices to include ShareASale...

we took a poll here and...
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=85532

get paid good commissions on time
    Tale LS off your list. As an aff, they're horribly slow. CJ and SAS each easily make LS look horridly slow and problematic, when it comes to being paid, in my experience.

If I had to choose between LS and CJ, I'd choose Shareasale.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    May want to expand your choices to include ShareASale...

Tale LS off your list. As an aff, they're horribly slow. CJ and SAS each easily make LS look horridly slow and problematic, when it comes to being paid, in my experience.
    If you are in affiliate marketing for the long run, how quickly merchants pay is only one factor that should play into your decision making. ShareASale affiliates speak highly of SAS itself, but if you want name brand recognizable merchants, you may not find them there. In my niche, they do not have a single name brand or anyone else that is worth promoting. So even if those "no names" pay on time, I'm not interested in promoting someone who may pay me $5/month, if at all. Almost all of the recognized merchants in my niche are with Linkshare or CJ.

Yes, I have to wait two or three months to be paid by a few of my Linkshare merchants, but I'd certainly rather wait that long to be paid hundreds or thousands of dollars than be satisfied knowing a merchant will always pay me $5 or $10 a month on time.

I always have to wonder what kind of business person would avoid Linkshare or CJ altogether (and there are people who comment here that they do) because of some of the crap they put us through. Sure, some of their merchants are not affiliate friendly. If you don't make any money with them, drop them, but that shouldn't cause you to avoid the network altogether.

My perspective is one of someone who has been doing this for quite a while now and derives my entire income from my website. I guess if you are looking at affiliate marketing as a way to supplement a different source of primary income, your priorities may be different than mine.

I would agree with others that if you feel that you must choose either CJ or LS, CJ is the better of the two options. However, I've terminated my relationships with both companies -- as an affiliate, I won't do business with any merchant if their affiliate program is only offered through Commission Junction or LinkShare. As noted by others, these two companies provide very poor affiliate support -- really, no support at all for small or midsize affiliates. They also engage in practices and advise merchants to engage in practices that are quite negative for affiliates.

Like others, I much prefer ShareASale as an affiliate network, for many reasons, but I must acknowledge that there are many, many large brand-name merchants whose programs are offered only through CJ or LS. And it's important to recognize that there are some "crappy" merchants in every affiliate network -- you must carefully evaluate each merchant's program independently of all other programs offered by a network.

As a practical matter, if you feel you need to be an affiliate of Merchant X, then it doesn't matter where their program is hosted, you'll join that network. For most affiliates, this means reluctantly joining LS and CJ, as well as a number of independent/in-house affiliate programs. In many cases, these affiliates learn over time that participating in specific merchant programs or even certain networks is not worthwhile. But this is absolutely one of those situations where "your mileage will vary," so nobody can really give you meaningful advice.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    My perspective is one of someone who has been doing this for quite a while now and derives my entire income from my website. I guess if you are looking at affiliate marketing as a way to supplement a different source of primary income, your priorities may be different than mine.
    well then mr. phultym munybux, i'll just go take my $3.26 in quarterly earnings and crawl in my mud hole where us little people all scrounge for grub worms to eat.

ABW Ambassador
    but I'd certainly rather wait that long to be paid hundreds or thousands of dollars than be satisfied knowing a merchant will always pay me $5 or $10 a month on time.
    Exactly, that was the reason I dropped SAS merchants a few years back. Most are too small merchants with little to make from them!. But I am going to revisit SAS merchants one more time and check out how they perform (I don't hope for much)

I always have to wonder what kind of business person would avoid Linkshare or CJ altogether (and there are people who comment here that they do)
    I was surprised and shocked about such comments too!

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    well then mr. phultym munybux, i'll just go take my $3.26 in quarterly earnings and crawl in my mud hole where us little people all scrounge for grub worms to eat.
    Ohhhh, you make me laugh! :^) Please get your own fishing show on the sportsman channel........you're way funnier than "fishing for laughs" I'll hold the camera
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

well said, I would love to chat with you on the phone sometime Snowman. The time you spent sharing your thoughts on my Linkshare vs. CJ question was well worth it.
    I know what it take to build a long-term successful business and relate to you 100%.
    My number is 704 894 0612 if we could chat for a few minutes sometime this week.
    Derek

ABW Ambassador
    I'm glad that my comments were helpful to you, Derek. As is the case with most affiliates who participate at ABW, I prefer not to disclose my identity. Just as you received a lot of feedback here, I'm sure that other questions you have will be answered by forum participants.

no problem, I respect that

Derek

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread